Options
303enfield
303enfield Posts: 239 Member
and why do a of people on mfp hate them so much :angry:

Replies

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but my take is that carbs if not used by your body to give you energy are stored as fat. My diet was carb laden and combined with limited exercise gained a lot of weight over time.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    car·bo·hy·drate [kahr-boh-hahy-dreyt, -buh-]
    noun
    any of a class of organic compounds that are polyhydroxy aldehydes or polyhydroxy ketones, or change to such substances on simple chemical transformations, as hydrolysis, oxidation, or reduction, and that form the supporting tissues of plants and are important food for animals and people.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Idk what they are but they make me fat.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-carbohydrates-part-1.html
    They are hated because people don't understand basic nutrition and how insulin really works.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

No, too many calories makes you fat. It doesn't matter if those calories are carbs, protein or fat.
  • baba_helly
    Options

No, too many calories makes you fat. It doesn't matter if those calories are carbs, protein or fat.

It's definitely the carbs. I know my body.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    is there any one who can answer this with common sense

When in doubt, go to the experts. Real experts, not goofballs on the internet who think they are experts.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Unless your body works differently than the standard human body, the biochemistry is the same. If carbs made one fat, all vegans would be fat. They eat almost nothing but carbs.
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    Werd! I eat a ton of carbs (especially white rice) and I've never weighed over 150 lbs.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates have the general formula C6H12O6. Basically they are sugars, from "simple" sugars like glucose through starch to indigestible stuff we call fiber. Complex ones are broken down to simple ones by digestion.

People hate them because they don't understand science.

Strictly speaking, we do not need to eat carbs. We can make sugar from protein, and the body can use ketones produced from fats for energy. But carbs are a convenient source of energy. And they taste good.

Excess calories (from any food, not just carbs) get stored as fat in the body.

Carbs (specifically, glucose) and protein spike insulin after a meal, causing the sugar and amino acids from the protein to be pushed into cells for energy and, if in excess, storage. A few hours after a meal, insulin levels come down and you will use the calories you have previously stored for energy. If you are in a surplus, obviously you don't use them all. If you are in a deficit, you use more than you just stored. [This is the bit some people don't get. They seem to think fat, once deposited, stays there forever or something.]

Diabetics don't have a proper insulin response, so get left with excess glucose in their blood after eating too many carbs. Other people really don't have to worry about them. But do make sure you eat enough protein (for muscles) and fat (for hormone function, vitamin adsorption etc) before going crazy on carbs. Get a balanced diet, hitting your macros!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Carb hate is a fad--it will pass. I live in Italy and can wait it out. Here carbs are a staple and most people are thin. It's portion size--like any food. :smile:
  • baba_helly
    Options

Unless your body works differently than the standard human body, the biochemistry is the same. If carbs made one fat, all vegans would be fat. They eat almost nothing but carbs.

Well everyone is different and they definitely make me fat. The skinny vegans must just be lucky.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Well everyone is different and they definitely make me fat. The skinny vegans must just be lucky.

Or are you just "elite"
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Carbs don't make you fat. Your body only stores calories as fat when you consume more than you are burning. It doesn't matter if you are eating Fat, Protein, or Carbs.

Science, how does it work?!

What you could say is that carbs make you binge, or carbs don't fill you up as much as protein does, so you end up eating more. But you're still only gaining weight because you're consuming more calories than you're burning. Not carbs. Don't be a troglodyte.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I ate under 20 net carbs for almost 6 weeks and it was horrible.

I was so foggy headed and actually got sick, which made me mad because I never get sick.

I'm sure it is the magic ticket for some, but not me.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You're telling me that, if you ate 20 baconators a day, you wouldn't gain weight because it's not carbs - it's all fat and "meat"/protein byproducts?

Lol.
  • baba_helly
    Options
    You're telling me that, if you ate 20 baconators a day, you wouldn't gain weight because it's not carbs - it's all fat and "meat"/protein byproducts?

Lol.

No way, that would put me WAY over my sodium. I'd gain at leaat.a couple pounds from that!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Carbs are food, and as we all know, food makes us fat.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates have the general formula C6H12O6. Basically they are sugars, from "simple" sugars like glucose through starch to indigestible stuff we call fiber. Complex ones are broken down to simple ones by digestion.

People hate them because they don't understand science.

Strictly speaking, we do not need to eat carbs. We can make sugar from protein, and the body can use ketones produced from fats for energy. But carbs are a convenient source of energy. And they taste good.

Excess calories (from any food, not just carbs) get stored as fat in the body.

Carbs (specifically, glucose) and protein spike insulin after a meal, causing the sugar and amino acids from the protein to be pushed into cells for energy and, if in excess, storage. A few hours after a meal, insulin levels come down and you will use the calories you have previously stored for energy. If you are in a surplus, obviously you don't use them all. If you are in a deficit, you use more than you just stored. [This is the bit some people don't get. They seem to think fat, once deposited, stays there forever or something.]

Diabetics don't have a proper insulin response, so get left with excess glucose in their blood after eating too many carbs. Other people really don't have to worry about them. But do make sure you eat enough protein (for muscles) and fat (for hormone function, vitamin adsorption etc) before going crazy on carbs. Get a balanced diet, hitting your macros!

balanced diet? that's crazy talk...