what are carbs and what do they do

Options

Replies

• Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-carbohydrates-part-1.html
    They are hated because people don't understand basic nutrition and how insulin really works.
    This.

OP, Carbs = energy
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Idk what they are but they make me fat.

No, too many calories makes you fat. It doesn't matter if those calories are carbs, protein or fat.
    It's definitely the carbs. I know my body.

Unless your body works differently than the standard human body, the biochemistry is the same. If carbs made one fat, all vegans would be fat. They eat almost nothing but carbs.

But all bodies DO work differently. She may be like me; excess carbs DO make me fat(ter). I have insulin resistance, and my body doesn't use carbs right. They store my carbs in my mid-section over my belly button, so I have this fantastic "spare tire." LOL All the weight I've gained the past few years has been in that area - I had no idea, I thought I just had this weird, pregnant looking body. LOL

No, we all have the same basic biology, with some minor differences, unless there is an actual medical issue present which prevents certain functions from working properly. What you're describing could be a medical issue. Has it been diagnosed by a doctor? Are you being treated for it? What is the prognosis for a cure, and would the cure then allow your body to function properly (ie. like everyone else's)?

I'm sorry, but to pretend that everything is completely settled on this issue is just inaccurate. Nutritional science, in the loosest definition of the term, is about 200 years old. The idea that we need vitamins to survive is about 100--Doctors and Scientists thought that there was some bacteria at work affecting the vitamin-deficient. The first trials on the importance of amino acids on human beings happened in the 1940s. We've got what, about 3.5 million years of evolution playing out in each of our bodies? We're systems of systems of systems. There are dimly understood hormonal things going on, colonies of bacteria living in our guts, evolutionary adaptations to specific environments, etc. What works for most may not work forall, even if there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to support it.

To pretend it's all cut and dried, written in stone and completely unassailable strikes me as a bit absurd. One of the great things about science is that it adapts to new information, and is always assailable.

Whatever you want to believe to help you lose that 20 bro.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    and why do a of people on mfp hate them so much :angry:

Nobody hates carbs.

There an optimal macro nutrient, they just don't quite make it into the essential category.

Everyone on MFP have them in their diets, just in different volumes.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

No, too many calories makes you fat. It doesn't matter if those calories are carbs, protein or fat.

Unless your body works differently than the standard human body, the biochemistry is the same. If carbs made one fat, all vegans would be fat. They eat almost nothing but carbs.

But all bodies DO work differently. She may be like me; excess carbs DO make me fat(ter). I have insulin resistance, and my body doesn't use carbs right. They store my carbs in my mid-section over my belly button, so I have this fantastic "spare tire." LOL All the weight I've gained the past few years has been in that area - I had no idea, I thought I just had this weird, pregnant looking body. LOL

No, your body is working just like any other would in the same state as yours. Your body uses carbs right, generally. Insulin resistance means, that regular cells are flat out rejecting any more food. They are done. They had enough. Your body made new fat cells, because it needs more storage space for all the goodies that you have been feeding it before your insulin resistance started. And it's still making more of them, because it can't break the vicious cycle. There is the extra padding around your waist. That's it in a nut shell.
    There is hope, though, because you can re-train your regular cells to accept healthy nutrition again. HOWEVER, what many people don't understand: we are stuck with the fat cells, when we start losing weight. Unless they get sucked out, or otherwise destroyed by new medical devices and flushed out by our kidneys, they only shrink..... People who can't get a grip on their food...or carb intake...after dieting, will fill those greedy cells right back up....and there we go again....
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates have the general formula C6H12O6. Basically they are sugars, from "simple" sugars like glucose through starch to indigestible stuff we call fiber. Complex ones are broken down to simple ones by digestion.

People hate them because they don't understand science.

Strictly speaking, we do not need to eat carbs. We can make sugar from protein, and the body can use ketones produced from fats for energy. But carbs are a convenient source of energy. And they taste good.

Excess calories (from any food, not just carbs) get stored as fat in the body.

Carbs (specifically, glucose) and protein spike insulin after a meal, causing the sugar and amino acids from the protein to be pushed into cells for energy and, if in excess, storage. A few hours after a meal, insulin levels come down and you will use the calories you have previously stored for energy. If you are in a surplus, obviously you don't use them all. If you are in a deficit, you use more than you just stored. [This is the bit some people don't get. They seem to think fat, once deposited, stays there forever or something.]

Diabetics don't have a proper insulin response, so get left with excess glucose in their blood after eating too many carbs. Other people really don't have to worry about them. But do make sure you eat enough protein (for muscles) and fat (for hormone function, vitamin adsorption etc) before going crazy on carbs. Get a balanced diet, hitting your macros!

Too much common sense in this post!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

No, we all have the same basic biology, with some minor differences, unless there is an actual medical issue present which prevents certain functions from working properly. What you're describing could be a medical issue. Has it been diagnosed by a doctor? Are you being treated for it? What is the prognosis for a cure, and would the cure then allow your body to function properly (ie. like everyone else's)?

I'm sorry, but to pretend that everything is completely settled on this issue is just inaccurate. Nutritional science, in the loosest definition of the term, is about 200 years old. The idea that we need vitamins to survive is about 100--Doctors and Scientists thought that there was some bacteria at work affecting the vitamin-deficient. The first trials on the importance of amino acids on human beings happened in the 1940s. We've got what, about 3.5 million years of evolution playing out in each of our bodies? We're systems of systems of systems. There are dimly understood hormonal things going on, colonies of bacteria living in our guts, evolutionary adaptations to specific environments, etc. What works for most may not work forall, even if there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to support it.

To pretend it's all cut and dried, written in stone and completely unassailable strikes me as a bit absurd. One of the great things about science is that it adapts to new information, and is always assailable.

You aren't offering a compelling argument to ignore what we DO know

The same arguement could be used with many sciences - genetics for one. Mendel gave up because he couldn't explain the phenotypes of a thistle. There are plasmids and viruses and reverse transcription. It's complicated.

However, if you're involved in a paternity dispute, you better have a better explanation than that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I live in Italy and can wait it out. Here carbs are a staple and most people are thin.

http://www.thelocal.it/20130905/six-million-italians-are-obese-report

"The (Italian) government spends an estimated €67 billion a year on the direct and indirect costs of obesity, which has risen 25 percent since 1994, the association said."
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Your body gets calories from three categories of foods.
    Foods can be classified into 2 categories macronutrient vs micronutrient.

Micronutrients are more like vitamins and minerals.

Macronutrients are where you get calories from. You have 3 types macronutrients....protein, fats, and carbohydrates.
    Carbohydrates simply put are sugars. You have 2 types carbs (simple vs complex).
    Simple carbs are like your refined sugars or honey or molasses.

Complex carbs have more to them(like vitamins and minersl).

Hope this helps.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I ate under 20 net carbs for almost 6 weeks and it was horrible.

20 WHAT? mg? grams? Kg? ounces? Lbs? %? Cups? Teaspoons?.. What does this mean?
  • Sage812
    Sage812 Posts: 10
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/a-primer-on-dietary-carbohydrates-part-1.html
    They are hated because people don't understand basic nutrition and how insulin really works.
    agreed
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Options

Holy!!!! Thats Insane!!!

These are basic measurements. Very basic math.
    Milligram to gram
    gram to kilogram

Cups are a measuring method to measure fluids.
    ounces to pounds

Cups
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

Holy!!!! Thats Insane!!!

These are basic measurements. Very basic math.
    Milligram to gram
    gram to kilogram

Cups are a measuring method to measure fluids.
    ounces to pounds

Cups

WHOOSH - miss the point much? Nothing to to with MATHS

The question was....... what did the poster mean by 20 - she did not provide a unit of measure :ohwell:
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Options
    Yeah true that one did fly over my head a bit. :)

I assume they are referring to grams but assuming doesnt help.

Good talking ttfn.
  • FitnessInstructorKhalil
    Options
    Hi guys, first you need to understand which somatotype (body type) you are, there are 3 types which are endomorth(fat build) ectomorth (skinny build) and mesomorth (muscular build). People who say they eat as much carbs as they want and not put on any weight are ectomorths and those that put as much as smell food and start putting on weight are endomorths. So if you want to start losing weight, you need to start with your breakfast. Carbs and protein: your body does not store protein, it just uses it and gets rid of it while carbohydrates are stored as fat for energy, so when you eat carbs for breakfast its being stored as fat.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, first you need to understand which somatotype (body type) you are, there are 3 types which are endomorth(fat build) ectomorth (skinny build) and mesomorth (muscular build). People who say they eat as much carbs as they want and not put on any weight are ectomorths and those that put as much as smell food and start putting on weight are endomorths. So if you want to start losing weight, you need to start with your breakfast. Carbs and protein: your body does not store protein, it just uses it and gets rid of it while carbohydrates are stored as fat for energy, so when you eat carbs for breakfast its being stored as fat. Email me for more info on this majesticfitness@hotmail.com

I'm pretty sure your body does store excessive protein as fat - albeit it's converted in to glycogen first and then stored as fat (that's if you are eating in a calorie surplus).
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I was so foggy headed and actually got sick, which made me mad because I never get sick.

I'm sure it is the magic ticket for some, but not me.

A lot of women have found that low-carb(under 50, or 100 depending on the person) really hurt their thyroid levels and hormones, long term. Regardless, that low in carbs will put you in Ketosis. Whispering low-carb in my women's lifting group (with 6,000 ladies) brings forth books of warnings and stories from women explaining the horrific, permanent damage they encountered doing such. It's actually quite sad. That's why they are so outspoken about it.

Anyway, you're not alone in your experience. Glad you listened to your body.

Would like to know more about how low-carbing can hurt thyroid levels and hormones long-term, do you have data you can point me toward?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    and why do a of people on mfp hate them so much :angry:

THE MOST AWESOME MACRO KNOWN TO MAN!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't hate carbs, I love my carbs.

Good source of energy for your body and also signal muscle growth
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love ALL THE CARBS!

Seriously though, anytime I've gone on a low carb diet, after a month or two, my depression gets really severe. So... I don't do that anymore. Please pass the cereal, bread and ice cream.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Yeah true that one did fly over my head a bit. :)

I assume they are referring to grams but assuming doesnt help.

Good talking ttfn.

Cheers buddy.:-) :flowerforyou:
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrate work to protect your body and muscles. When you feel tired you need energy than your body looks for glucose from carbohydrates.

* carbohydrates regulate the amount of sugar circulating in your blood.
    * Provide nutrients for the friendly bacteria in your intestinal tract that help digest food.
    * Assist in your body’s absorption of calcium.
    * Helps you to lower cholesterol levels in your body.