The great weight lifting debate

Options
Hi guys,

I am a female, 5"4 33 years old; I had managed to drop 19.2kg last year ( from 117kg to 97.8kg), then I had an operation and gained 11kg back (108.8kg some of this I think is muscle as I stated lifting heavier weights after my operation and my bum is a lot firmer). I am struggling to get back to that and I am wondering if it is because I am doing the wrong kind of exercise for my shape.

Question: I have an hourglass figure (47, 37,46), I have read that I should not lift weights until I have burned the required excess body mass, but I have also read that an increase in muscle makes it easier to burn the away unwanted body mass.
This is primarily a question for those who are familiar with weight loss and the hourglass figure, do I lift weights or not? Here’s the background to my current work out plan:

So far I am on the 1,200 plan ( I have a wheat intollorance so I mainly get my carbs from fruit, veg, rice and sweet potato)

Monday - leg day: 20 minutes cross trainer (I have knee issues so I cannot run) 4 x 10 second hold dead lift 85kg, 3x10 sets 45kg ballet squats, 3x10 45kg hip lifts, 3x10 10 kg lunges

Tuesday - cardio: 40 minutes cross trainer 4 x 10 second dead lifts at 85 kg

Wednesday - 'rest' day: 60 minutes swimming or 60 minutes brisk walking

Thursday – arms: 20 minutes cross trainer,3x10 chest press 10kg, 3x10 triceps curl, 3x10 pull downs, 4 x 10 second hold dead lift 85kg

Friday – Cardio Tuesday - cardio: 40 minutes cross trainer 4 x 10 second dead lifts at 85 kg

Saturday – 30 - 40 minute brisk walk

Sunday – rest day

I don’t feel like I get much out of lifting light weights 5kg and under), and it did seem that when I increased my reps but reduced the weights it did not feel like I was having enough of a work out. I have also read that it is a myth that more reps and light weights help you tone better than more weights and less reps.
Basically, I need advice from someone (or someone who has worked with someone) that has a similar structure to me so I can use that to make adjustments.

Thanks

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I am a female, 5"4 33 years old; I had managed to drop 19.2kg last year ( from 117kg to 97.8kg), then I had an operation and gained 11kg back (108.8kg some of this I think is muscle as I stated lifting heavier weights after my operation and my bum is a lot firmer). I am struggling to get back to that and I am wondering if it is because I am doing the wrong kind of exercise for my shape.

Question: I have an hourglass figure (47, 37,46), I have read that I should not lift weights until I have burned the required excess body mass, but I have also read that an increase in muscle makes it easier to burn the away unwanted body mass.
    This is primarily a question for those who are familiar with weight loss and the hourglass figure, do I lift weights or not? Here’s the background to my current work out plan:

So far I am on the 1,200 plan ( I have a wheat intollorance so I mainly get my carbs from fruit, veg, rice and sweet potato)

Monday - leg day: 20 minutes cross trainer (I have knee issues so I cannot run) 4 x 10 second hold dead lift 85kg, 3x10 sets 45kg ballet squats, 3x10 45kg hip lifts, 3x10 10 kg lunges

Thursday – arms: 20 minutes cross trainer,3x10 chest press 10kg, 3x10 triceps curl, 3x10 pull downs, 4 x 10 second hold dead lift 85kg

Friday – Cardio Tuesday - cardio: 40 minutes cross trainer 4 x 10 second dead lifts at 85 kg

Sunday – rest day

I don’t feel like I get much out of lifting light weights 5kg and under), and it did seem that when I increased my reps but reduced the weights it did not feel like I was having enough of a work out. I have also read that it is a myth that more reps and light weights help you tone better than more weights and less reps.
    Basically, I need advice from someone (or someone who has worked with someone) that has a similar structure to me so I can use that to make adjustments.

Thanks

There is no debate. You should lift weights; regardless of your body type. Whether you're an apple, onion, pear, or whatever, there are both long term health and weight loss benefits.

As far as your program is concerned, I think it can be simplified. You'll notice far more gains if you focus on your entire body in every workout. I would suggest a full body workout that looks something like this:

10-15 minute cardio. Bench press, Lat Pull down, Squats, Weighted Row, and Overhead press. If you feel like you must, you can do additional isolation exercises such as curls, tricep pulldowns, knee extension, etc. Shoot to do three sets for each exercise with 6-8 reps apiece. If you can do more than that, you need to up your weights. The last set should be a struggle. When you get to the point where you can do three sets of eight with no problems, add weight.

Do that every other day, three days a week. If you're ambitious, do cardio to fill out the days in between and then throw in a full-on rest day. So something like:

m: full body weighted workout
    t: cardio
    w: full body weighted workout
    f: full body weighted workout
    s: cardio
    s: Rest
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I also want to say that 1200 calories is not enough. I would recommend going up to 1400 that way you will still lose a large amount of weight but this way you will not damage your metabolism.
  • tinkystyle
    tinkystyle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You have a nice shape to your figure. You are a true hourglass (I'm very jealous!). Heavy lifting will help to refine your figure. You will still be an hourglass, albeit a firmer, smaller one.

You said:
    "I don’t feel like I get much out of lifting light weights 5kg and under), and it did seem that when I increased my reps but reduced the weights it did not feel like I was having enough of a work out. I have also read that it is a myth that more reps and light weights help you tone better than more weights and less reps. "

You are obviously not challenging yourself enough with the weights.

And, yes--more reps and lights weights for toning is a myth.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    then I had an operation and gained 11kg back (108.8kg some of this I think is muscle as I stated lifting heavier weights after my operation and my bum is a lot firmer).

No sorry gaining muscle for a woman who is eating at a deficet it very difficult... esp 22lbs of it...
    This is primarily a question for those who are familiar with weight loss and the hourglass figure, do I lift weights or not?
    Lifting should be done as soon as you start eating at a deficit...to preserve muscle mass as it is so hard to build.
    Here’s the background to my current work out plan:

way to little food...

Sunday – rest day

Thanks

Simplify...choose a program such as Strong lifts or Starting strength and do your lifting 3x a week.

easy peasy.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy, you need to eat more than 1200 calories. I'm 5'5'', 229 pounds and I lift heavy. I'm at 1970 calories a day and I am losing weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    then I had an operation and gained 11kg back (108.8kg some of this I think is muscle as I stated lifting heavier weights after my operation and my bum is a lot firmer).

No sorry gaining muscle for a woman who is eating at a deficet it very difficult... esp 22lbs of it...
    This is primarily a question for those who are familiar with weight loss and the hourglass figure, do I lift weights or not?
    Lifting should be done as soon as you start eating at a deficit...to preserve muscle mass as it is so hard to build.

way to little food...

Sunday – rest day

Thanks

Simplify...choose a program such as Strong lifts or Starting strength and do your lifting 3x a week.

easy peasy.

All of this.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

way to little food...

Sunday – rest day

Thanks

easy peasy.

All of this.

x3
  • MOMXW
    MOMXW Posts: 41
    Options
    Some of these are typical responses that I hoped to avoid by giving some background.
    I also want to say that 1200 calories is not enough. I would recommend going up to 1400 that way you will still lose a large amount of weight but this way you will not damage your metabolism.

In regards to the 1,200 calories, if say I burn 500 calories working out then I will actually eat 1,700 calories. The 1,200 is a base line. I cannot eat massive amounts of calories as I gain weight very easily. I tried eating 1,500 a day (so this would be 2000 if I burned 500 calories) and I gained weight so the 1,200 limit works for my metabolism which us very slow.

Also, I was not asking if I should or should not lift weights, but if I should lift heavy weight or light weights.
  • MOMXW
    Options
    There is no debate. You should lift weights; regardless of your body type. Whether you're an apple, onion, pear, or whatever, there are both long term health and weight loss benefits.

As far as your program is concerned, I think it can be simplified. You'll notice far more gains if you focus on your entire body in every workout. I would suggest a full body workout that looks something like this:

10-15 minute cardio. Bench press, Lat Pull down, Squats, Weighted Row, and Overhead press. If you feel like you must, you can do additional isolation exercises such as curls, tricep pulldowns, knee extension, etc. Shoot to do three sets for each exercise with 6-8 reps apiece. If you can do more than that, you need to up your weights. The last set should be a struggle. When you get to the point where you can do three sets of eight with no problems, add weight.

Do that every other day, three days a week. If you're ambitious, do cardio to fill out the days in between and then throw in a full-on rest day. So something like:

As for a full body work out, again that has not really worked for me: I only have limited time in the gym at 45 minutes due to my job so if I work all of my body each day it is never balanced as one part of my body would lose out, plus I am yet to understand the benefit of full body over isolation. I have not read anything to suggest that one is better than the other.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Once I stopped putting down the girly fitness magazines and started lifting heavy, I saw the most progress in my body. You don't need to spend tons of time at the gym. I workout on my lunch break, 30 mins or so. Check out stronglifts 5x5, there's even a free phone app you can use to log your workouts. It's compound lifts so it works your whole body. 3 different lifts, 5 reps, 5 sets... that's all you need. You don't need to wait until you are closer to your goal weight. You should also check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. Pretty much says that heavy lifting along with a good diet (i.e. TDEE less 20% with enough protein) will burn body fat, with or without cardio.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

As for a full body work out, again that has not really worked for me: I only have limited time in the gym at 45 minutes due to my job so if I work all of my body each day it is never balanced as one part of my body would lose out, plus I am yet to understand the benefit of full body over isolation. I have not read anything to suggest that one is better than the other.

Then you're not reading the right things. Pretty much everyone will say full body program for a beginner. Stronglifts only takes 30 mins 3 times a week and is a full body workout. It's a great workout. You don't need to be spending 3 hours in the gym to get a good workout in.
  • MOMXW
    Options
    Quite a few to read! Will get through them all on my journy home! Thanks in advance!
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Full body workouts recruit multiple muscle groups (which is why they're called compound exercises). There's nothing wrong with doing isolation exercises, they're just not as efficient. Given that you have time constraints, the emphasis SHOULD be more on compound exercises. More bang for your buck. Plus, isolation exercises tend to work small muscle groups while the ones I listed (bench press, squat, etc) use larger muscle groups. Which do you think benefits your body more?

If you spend more than 45 minutes lifting weights doing the set/reps I suggested, you need to increase your intensity. You can shave off some time by skipping the 10-15 minutes of cardio that I recommended.
  • MOMXW
    Options
    [Re suggested workout in above post quote]

That work out is for a mesomorph, not an endomorph like me. I am obese, limiting the amount of cardio I do is not recommended. That is weight loss 101.

I have a body type that easily gains weight then cardio everyday is essential. If you are going to give standard advise that is not taking into account my body type, then I appreciate your time but it is not advice that is useful.
  • MOMXW
    Options
    You have a nice shape to your figure. You are a true hourglass (I'm very jealous!). Heavy lifting will help to refine your figure. You will still be an hourglass, albeit a firmer, smaller one.

You said:
    "I don’t feel like I get much out of lifting light weights 5kg and under), and it did seem that when I increased my reps but reduced the weights it did not feel like I was having enough of a work out. I have also read that it is a myth that more reps and light weights help you tone better than more weights and less reps. "

You are obviously not challenging yourself enough with the weights.

And, yes--more reps and lights weights for toning is a myth.

That is what I thought. I thought it was a bit odd to say that because I am hourglass I should not lift heavy weights. I would have thought that throughout weight loss, working on muscle would be important.

Thanks for the compliment :) I just wish my belly wasn't so huge! lol
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    That work out is for a mesomorph, not an endomorph like me. I am obese, limiting the amount of cardio I do is not recommended. That is weight loss 101.

I have a body type that easily gains weight then cardio everyday is essential. If you are going to give standard advise that is not taking into account my body type, then I appreciate your time but it is not advice that is useful.

Your body type is irrelevant.

Please read this:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • MOMXW
    Options

way to little food...

Sunday – rest day

Thanks

easy peasy.

1) Not trying to gain muscle, trying to lose weight is my primary goal

2) In order to lose weight you need to eat at a deficit: eat less move more

3) again, you are giving me standard information and not information that is useful

4) Your comment that it is 'easy peasy' is patronising. If it was 'Easy peasy' why would I be seeking advice?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

4) Your comment that it is 'easy peasy' is patronising. If it was 'Easy peasy' why would I be seeking advice?

are you seeking advice? because it kinda seems like you're trying to be argumentative, and covering your ears unless you get the exact information you think is necessary.

your body type doesn't matter. lift weights 2-4 times a week, do some for of cardio 2-3 times a week, while eating at a slight deficit and making sure to get plenty of rest.

it really is that easy peasy.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options

way to little food...

Sunday – rest day

Thanks

easy peasy.

1) Not trying to gain muscle, trying to lose weight is my primary goal

2) In order to lose weight you need to eat at a deficit: eat less move more

3) again, you are giving me standard information and not information that is useful

You shouldn't focus on losing weight, you should focus on losing fat. Eat at a calorie defecit and lift heavy three times a week. You don't have to or need to do cardio to lose weight. Or lose body fat. You can use cardio to create a bigger calorie defecit if you want to eat more though. Do a couple of cardio sessions a week with the lifting and you'll be fine.

Just my opinion.