The Ultimate Poverty Dinner

Options

Replies

• whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles when they were 10 cents a piece. Sometimes put in cut up weiners 88 cents a package......ahhhhh good times.
  • whovian67
    Options
    Was feeding 9 people on one income.....& paying health insurance......thank God those days are gone
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal maybe. The rest of that stuff would have been considered too luxurious in my poorest days.

P.S. You can cook potato in the microwave. Poke with a fork and cook for a few minutes per ounce (don't remember how long but I'm sure it's around here somewhere). And what's this stuff about peeling a potato? Cut it in half and scoop out the inside with a spoon. Though if you're really poor you'd eat the skin too and call it dessert.
  • Chimera21
    Chimera21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What, no one has mentioned store brand pancakes from mix? Just add water! When I was little this was around $1.50/box and good for three or four meals.

My parents would mix water with syrup, make some instant pancakes and be like 'Oooooh, breakfast for dinner! So fancy!!!', which only worked the first two or three times. Still, guaranteed cheap way to get your kids to eat when you have four days before the next paycheck and no other food in the house.

That, and rice and beans.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elusive_design
    elusive_design Posts: 1,095 Member
    Options
    Bean or Split pea soup with stale bread that has been baked and crushed up on top to add some form of texture. It's dirt cheap, to the range of.. a bag of beans costs about 1.50 and you can stretch 6-7 meals out of it.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am feeling like a spoiled brat right now, reading this. I'm sorry if this is super princessy (or gullible) but is this stuff people actually do? The ketchup and stuff?

My eldest will probably have tomato sauce on hot dog buns as part of her school lunch tomorrow. I might be mean mummy and put vegiemite on one though. Once a week my husband makes pasta with tomato sauce and cheese or rice with the same for both kids. They actually ask for it. It's not always about money, but time and getting calories into growing kids with limited range. The eldest is slowly improving though at almost 8. The little one eats most foods if and when she is actually hungry.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    aware
    bae55b43b372d5671436d0c690ebfee57800.jpg

80g oats
    1oz/30g peanuts (skip if low on cals)
    1 cup/250 mL store-brand vegetable juice
    3 jumbo eggs

Macros: 780 calories
    43P - 37F - 70C

Cost: 1.48$
    1/6x1.50$ + 1/16*5.00$ + 1/6*2.50$ + 1/4*2.00$

Mirin'?
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We always try and have some basics in our pantry. It hasn't happened often , but having flour, powdered milk and pasta in the pantry has gotten us through to pay day. Also beans and rice. We don't go nuts on being "prepared" , but we try and have 2-4 weeks of food put away. It helps mostly when a big bill comes in.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    People often assume vegans save money on food. In reality, vegan food items are more expensive overall. I have been rock-bottom-poor my entire adult life. I have always skimped on food, spending on food whatever is left over after paying bills, buying pet food and paper products and household/laundry products, personal care items, and cigarettes. Potato chips are my go-to meal. Food is the only variable in my budget; the only thing I can cut corners on. So it is potato chips for me, many days.

you're eating the wrong foods then... when I was extremely poor (five pounds per week total food budget) I ate a lot of vegan meals, because beans and lentils are way cheaper than animal proteins, plus they have more carbohydrate than animal proteins foods. Lentil and vegetable soup is a very good meal if you're poor.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    People often assume vegans save money on food. In reality, vegan food items are more expensive overall. I have been rock-bottom-poor my entire adult life. I have always skimped on food, spending on food whatever is left over after paying bills, buying pet food and paper products and household/laundry products, personal care items, and cigarettes. Potato chips are my go-to meal. Food is the only variable in my budget; the only thing I can cut corners on. So it is potato chips for me, many days.

Ok I'm sorry but when I saw CIGARRETTES, and you say that food was the only variable you could cut back out.... you lost all my sympathy Whatsoever. Pet food is a close second here. You can't feed yourself properly, you shouldn't even own a pet. I'm not even trolling - I feel so strongly when I see such mixed up priorities.
    Yeah, I agree with responder. And potatoes would be way cheaper than potato chips yes? We just don't WANT to cook; we want to GRAB something. This thread is making me sad a little.

When I was a young SAH momma we had a very small grocery budget. I got very creative. I had a garden in the summertime. I canned veggies for the winter. We ate good. I had a good time being creative in the kitchen. One of our favorites was a summer salad we affectionately called "trailer park salad." It was spam, elbow macaroni, mayo and miracle whip, tomatoes, american cheese, and cucumbers.

I'll make it on occasion for family get-togethers with cheddar and ham, but my daughters want it the way they ate it as kids.

:glasses:
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a farm, so it was eggs with everything as a cheap meal. Especially pancakes, because they could be made on the wood stove when the power was out. (Happened quite a lot because we were so remote.)

I still have eggs with everything because I get them free at work. Really tasty free-range eggs.

The day I moved out from home, I stopped eating meat because vegetarian was so much cheaper. It's been 10 years now and I've never missed it.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    dine-and-dash.jpg

Dine and dash.

But since that's illegal, I'll go with my own "Summer of '95 special"

43329.jpg

Corn King hotdogs, $0.88/package. Ugh, I was so poor when I was 19!
  • whovian67
    Options
    Glad to see someone else knew about those 88 cent hot dogs :)

Forgot... corn meal and water fried in a pan made corn cakes....kids believed they were pancakes for years. Southern fried with love...
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Ramen Noodles!
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!!!

I don't classify this as a poverty dinner thing at all......

Its just food...... just eating..... just having a meal. Period.

I will have an awesome day whether I dine on T-Bone Steak or Fried Green Tomatoes or even An apple for Dinner... Thats just me, and how I was raised. LOL!

However, it is amazing to see that many people THINK and assume that poor people are eating poorly. Actually, most of these people are eating much better than we give them credit. They make Gravy.... and eat it (every meal) until its GONE...... they cook big pots of Rice.... and Oatmeal........ and Grits..... and Potatoes...... and Greens...... and they serve Meatless meals........... they "COOK" period.

They can COOK and DO COOK.... and they have no desire to eat out. LOL...

They freeze leftovers, and use and re-use them. They have sense enough to leave the Raimens in the store..... and buy regular noodles. Raimens may taste good... but its just the Sodium tricking you into eating more sodium.

They make casseroles, and make huge pots of Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas, Lentils, and enough cornbread to feed an Army. They NEVER throw away ANYTHING!!!! Even if it has mold growing on it!

Food is precious.... Food means LIFE.

Seriously!

Some of them are on assistance.... and get Food Stamps.... some and MOST aren't.

Some of them still borrow a cup of sugar, a cup of Grits, and/or a cup/box of Oatmeal.

Many of them will put butter or margarine on a slice of bread..... and sprinkle a little Sugar on it - and call it a meal.... Which is fine..... its better than going to Micky D's.

Many more of those same people will, and DO eat the same thing ever & over again for weeks and NEVER GET BORED... or complain because its called making due - not being poor, or living in Poverty.

These people take whatever they have, and put it on the table, say grace over it and thank God for it, break it and serve it to their families...... and hit that repeat button the next day..... come Rain or Shine. Prayerfully.

I know because its normal for me to eat what I have, and not even consider being ungrateful, or picky, or choosy.

I am not Poor...... I am RICH indeed.... because I have my Health and my Health is my WEALTH.

Being transformed and losing over 200 pounds has changed me to the point that I AM JUST THANKFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAY I AM THANKFUL NOW.

We have been brain washed into thinking we should be able to eat whatever we want, whenever we want it!

Thats one reason so many people are super morbidly obese: THEY THINK ABOUT FOOD CONSTANTLY. From the second we wake up until we crash at night.... we are eating and thinking about what we want to eat NEXT! Our next big opportunity to EAT, AND CONSUME, AND DEVOUR SOMETHING.

Repeat. Repeat. REPEAT.

Once we Humans see that we are all connected, we start to see what's important and its not our lack of food..... or money.... its our lack of compassion, love, time and peace that deprives us.

People are starving to death and they're OBESE.

Once we see that the kind of Cars, homes and fancy Cell phones we have, and the size of our flat screens TV's do not define us..... its our hearts..... our ability to forgive, our ability to touch the lives of others, and share our loaves and fish with our neighbors that matters.

We are all so close to starvation..... without The Living Bread.
    We are all so close to dying of thirst...... without The Living Water.

Unless we stop eating our seed.... and get it into good, fertile ground.... so we can have The Harvest God delights in we will forever be hungry, bankrupt, poverty stricken, empty and ignorant.

Its sad to say - many of us are alone in a room with many, many people...... and we will remain that way all our days unless we awaken to He that never sleeps.

God.

1331219608740_9044904.png
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!!!!

I don't classify this as a poverty dinner thing at all......

Its just food...... just eating..... just having a meal. Period.

I will have an awesome day whether I dine on T-Bone Steak or Fried Green Tomatoes or even An apple for Dinner... Thats just me, and how I was raised. LOL!

However, it is amazing to see that many people THINK and assume that poor people are eating poorly. Actually, most of these people are eating much better than we give them credit. They make Gravy.... and eat it (every meal) until its GONE...... they cook big pots of Rice.... and Oatmeal........ and Grits..... and Potatoes...... and Greens...... and they serve Meatless meals........... they "COOK" period.

They can COOK and DO COOK.... and they have no desire to eat out. LOL...

They freeze leftovers, and use and re-use them. They have sense enough to leave the Raimens in the store..... and buy regular noodles. Raimens may taste good... but its just the Sodium tricking you into eating more sodium.

They make casseroles, and make huge pots of Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas, Lentils, and enough cornbread to feed an Army. They NEVER throw away ANYTHING!!!! Even if it has mold growing on it!

Food is precious.... Food means LIFE.

Seriously!

Some of them are on assistance.... and get Food Stamps.... some and MOST aren't.

Some of them still borrow a cup of sugar, a cup of Grits, and/or a cup/box of Oatmeal.

Many of them will put butter or margarine on a slice of bread..... and sprinkle a little Sugar on it - and call it a meal.... Which is fine..... its better than going to Micky D's.

Many more of those same people will, and DO eat the same thing ever & over again for weeks and NEVER GET BORED... or complain because its called making due - not being poor, or living in Poverty.

These people take whatever they have, and put it on the table, say grace over it and thank God for it, break it and serve it to their families...... and hit that repeat button the next day..... come Rain or Shine. Prayerfully.

I know because its normal for me to eat what I have, and not even consider being ungrateful, or picky, or choosy.

I am not Poor...... I am RICH indeed.... because I have my Health and my Health is my WEALTH.

Being transformed and losing over 200 pounds has changed me to the point that I AM JUST THANKFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SAY I AM THANKFUL NOW.

We have been brain washed into thinking we should be able to eat whatever we want, whenever we want it!

Thats one reason so many people are super morbidly obese: THEY THINK ABOUT FOOD CONSTANTLY. From the second we wake up until we crash at night.... we are eating and thinking about what we want to eat NEXT! Our next big opportunity to EAT, AND CONSUME, AND DEVOUR SOMETHING.

Repeat. Repeat. REPEAT.

Once we Humans see that we are all connected, we start to see what's important and its not our lack of food..... or money.... its our lack of compassion, love, time and peace that deprives us.

People are starving to death and they're OBESE.

Once we see that the kind of Cars, homes and fancy Cell phones we have, and the size of our flat screens TV's do not define us..... its our hearts..... our ability to forgive, our ability to touch the lives of others, and share our loaves and fish with our neighbors that matters.

We are all so close to starvation..... without The Living Bread.
    We are all so close to dying of thirst...... without The Living Water.

Unless we stop eating our seed.... and get it into good, fertile ground.... so we can have The Harvest God delights in we will forever be hungry, bankrupt, poverty stricken, empty and ignorant.

Its sad to say - many of us are alone in a room with many, many people...... and we will remain that way all our days unless we awaken to He that never sleeps.

God.

I get a strike for showing a lovely GIF and this person doesn't?

noangry.gif
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I grew up on hamburger helper. Captain D's every Thursday for dinner - kids ate free on Thursdays and there were 3 of us kids.

But, I also remember eating shark several times. Not sure what was up with that...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    im from a trailer park ketchup sandwiches (just ketchup on bread) KD & ketchup & zoodles poverty princessssssss