At what percent bodyfat did you start your bulk?

Options
13»

Replies

• jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you're in need of a change! Then start doing something different now. Don't underestimate the importance of staying mentally fresh. Just make sure you also remember your ultimate goal. There's no reason you can't start recomping now, and come back to cutting later on.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    After 18 months at a deficit, 33%-25% BF, I said screw it and now I'm bulking. Looking for some strength gains and a well stoked metabolism. Hopefully a cut will be easier afterwards. So far I haven't even any weight, but bf has reduced slightly.

This is me, too. Almost exactly, though I'm not sure what my starting %BF was.

I've finished my first bulk and just started cutting 2 weeks ago. Started C25K training last week on 'off' days to help with my deficit. I dropped a lb of what I assume is water/glycogen in the first 2 days. I've lost another lb since and more slowly over two weeks, so more likely to actually be fat (possibly up to 2 lbs, but I need to see if my low this morning stays or is just a fluctuation). So far, I'd say cutting is much easier now than it was at the end of my first long cut. I was down to losing 1/4 lb / mo at the same calories I'm at now.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If you're in need of a change! Then start doing something different now. Don't underestimate the importance of staying mentally fresh. Just make sure you also remember your ultimate goal. There's no reason you can't start recomping now, and come back to cutting later on.

Oh I agree. That is why I started P90X. Not because I think P90X is the be-all-end-all of routines or anything but I wanted to do something new to do exactly that, keep it fresh. I would LIKE to cut down further before I start a bulk but if I find myself getting listless or washed out then yeah I will switch for the purpose of keeping it new and interesting.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    After 18 months at a deficit, 33%-25% BF, I said screw it and now I'm bulking. Looking for some strength gains and a well stoked metabolism. Hopefully a cut will be easier afterwards. So far I haven't even any weight, but bf has reduced slightly.

This is me, too. Almost exactly, though I'm not sure what my starting %BF was.

I've finished my first bulk and just started cutting 2 weeks ago. Started C25K training last week on 'off' days to help with my deficit. I dropped a lb of what I assume is water/glycogen in the first 2 days. I've lost another lb since and more slowly over two weeks, so more likely to actually be fat (possibly up to 2 lbs, but I need to see if my low this morning stays or is just a fluctuation). So far, I'd say cutting is much easier now than it was at the end of my first long cut. I was down to losing 1/4 lb / mo at the same calories I'm at now.

Similar situation here. I consider myself an experiment to see what gains if any can be had doing a bulk higher than 15% bf. I got down to 160lbs (with approximately 20% bf) and just didn't want to go any lower weight than that. This, combined with I was really itching for a new goal, so I kicked off a bulk. I'm about 6 weeks in and am planning to go 15 weeks before cutting. If I improve 3% or so I'd consider it a success and look to do it again.