That Dang Processed Food! DEVIL!!!!!

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Eat all the GMO soy and commercially produced chemicals that you want. At a calorie deficit you will still lose weight. However, if you actually want to get healthy, maybe you should learn more about the additives you're putting into your body instead of blindly blaming "fear mongers" and "health nuts" for falsely demonizing these "foods". Your choice.

ETA: I also eat junk sometimes... but I still do know better. Darn hormonal cravings...

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/making-sense-of-chemical-stories.html

:flowerforyou:

I had some of these but I saw several I want to read later.
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    no thanks op, ill eat both bags in one sitting and still lose weight
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Uh, are you sure you know what kale is? Parsnip is a root vegetable, kale is a leafy green.
    yes- yes I do.
    Parsley- I meant parsley. LOL

Green things- taste like *kitten*- used as a garnish. Kale- it tastes like that. it's a leafy gross is what it is.

You realize you're posting this directly above your criticism of someone for being judgemental, right.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy very basic foods that are a healthy part of an adult diet. Parsley is used in a ton of things to help season it, not just as a garnish.

Lol! How on earth is someone's personal dislike of one stupid, singular food a judgment on ANYBODY? Why is our dislike of kale a judgment on kale lovers? That just means more for you--that's a WIN for you.

And so what if parsley is good as a seasoning (I love coriander and cilantro, too--use them frequently), that doesn't make leafy greens baked to a crisp a suitable substitute for corn or potato chips. Just because it's a part of YOUR diet, doesn't mean it is required to be in everyone else's.

I can get every single micro nutrient a body requires from everything I eat. Which does NOT and will never, ever be kale.

I simply posted that I preferred well done kale chips to doritos. Someone else decided that they needed to take some time to let everyone know how gross kale chips are, and how they couldn't possibly be good. They also said kale was a fancy version of parsley and parsley was gross, thus me talking about parsley's versatility and wide culinary use. Never mind the fact that the kale being a fancy version of parsley thing is really out there.

If you don't like kale chips that's fine. That doesn't make them gross or stupid. Calling foods gross, stupid, saying you'll never ever ever eat it is approaching food in a pretty immature way.
  • rejectuf
    Options
    Uh, are you sure you know what kale is? Parsnip is a root vegetable, kale is a leafy green.
    yes- yes I do.

Green things- taste like *kitten*- used as a garnish. Kale- it tastes like that. it's a leafy gross is what it is.

You realize you're posting this directly above your criticism of someone for being judgemental, right.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy very basic foods that are a healthy part of an adult diet. Parsley is used in a ton of things to help season it, not just as a garnish.

Jokes. Some people have them.

She didn't say "if you eat parsely YOU WILL DIE"

No, she just said a food that is used in an incredibly large number of dishes is gross. It's just odd to me that someone could not only dislike something so widespread in it's use but think it is actively repulsive. Sorry if I missed a joke somewhere.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    yes- yes I do.

Jokes. Some people have them.

She didn't say "if you eat parsely YOU WILL DIE"

No, she just said a food that is used in an incredibly large number of dishes is gross. It's just odd to me that someone could not only dislike something so widespread in it's use but think it is actively repulsive. Sorry if I missed a joke somewhere.

I feel that way about pretty much all cheeses. Food preferences. People have them.

I feel it still doesn't equate with a passive aggressive statement about one's diet choice, which is what the response was originally about.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I simply posted that I preferred well done kale chips to doritos. Someone else decided that they needed to take some time to let everyone know how gross kale chips are, and how they couldn't possibly be good. They also said kale was a fancy version of parsley and parsley was gross, thus me talking about parsley's versatility and wide culinary use. Never mind the fact that the kale being a fancy version of parsley thing is really out there.

If you don't like kale chips that's fine. That doesn't make them gross or stupid. Calling foods gross, stupid, saying you'll never ever ever eat it is approaching food in a pretty immature way.

I'm the one (and another poster) who said kale chips are gross (jokingly--sorry, I hurt the kale's feelings by making it the brunt of my humor). One food. Just ONE food (kale) is all I won't eat in the whole foods world, and I'm immature. Now, who's talking silly, now? That's a pretty big assumption you're making about me (and my fellow kale-haters) based on one, singular food dislike.

Geez, I'm sorry I called kale "stupid." I'll just call it "icky" instead. Gimme all the good turnips, and parsnips, rutabagas and bok choys, and heirloom tomatoes (oh, my delightful heirlooms, I love you so) and broccoli and cauliflower, and every non-kale dark leafy green in the world, and I'll lay down in a bed of pure orgasmic, organic delight of nature's bounty. I love them all equally, I really, truly do.

But alas, we are but mere children who do not know how to properly fuel our physical vessels without the superfood that is kale (for others, parsley). /sigh
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes- yes I do.

I did note that it was probably going to get some reverb.

And then I remembered- me hating on one particular food doesn't mean I passive aggressively hating you directly or judging you for eating it. more for you- I still think it tastes like *kitten*- I also hate the color pink- does that automatically mean I'm judging you for wearing the color pink?? nope. didn't think so.

and also - seasonings =/= food snacks.

I love garlic.
    And salt and pepper
    and cilantro
    and chili powder
    and rosemary
    and basil
    and lemon balm
    and mint
    and butter

none of these things I make an entire snack out of to just eat- they are seasonings.

I eat a very well rounded diet of lots of green things- and meat things- and fruit things- and fat things. I'm not sure where I implied that I disliked all green things. I love zucchini- and broccoli- and carrorts- and bok choy- and all sorts of things. I just really really really dislike kale. Don't much care for collard greens either. just bleck.

people think pizza and beer is gross. so what- more for me.

But there is no way kale will ever = doritos. it's just sad. You can like kale chips- I don't care- but they aren't any where close to doritos or any other highly processed delicious cheesy chip- or corn chip. And saying that they are a replacement makes me sad.

Kale got dubbed some sort of weird super healthy food and it's a band wagon food- and some how the healthy social media have jumped on board and dubbed it amazing- and it's super bitter- and I really dislike when something gets popular simply because it's popular because someone said it was. I'd be willing to bet 3/4 of the kale eating population wouldn't' be eating kale if some magazine hadn't said try it it's amazing for you. I don't care that people like weird things- I get annoyed when people like weird things because someone told them it was good.
  • rejectuf
    Options

I feel that way about pretty much all cheeses. Food preferences. People have them.

I feel it still doesn't equate with a passive aggressive statement about one's diet choice, which is what the response was originally about.

I think a lot of folks on this board who follow IIFYM and enjoy junk food like to disparage anything associated with "healthy eating" or "eating clean". Calling foods gross is a symptom of that attitude.
  • rejectuf
    Options

I'm the one (and another poster) who said kale chips are gross (jokingly--sorry, I hurt the kale's feelings by making it the brunt of my humor). One food. Just ONE food (kale) is all I won't eat in the whole foods world, and I'm immature. Now, who's talking silly, now? That's a pretty big assumption you're making about me (and my fellow kale-haters) based on one, singular food dislike.

Geez, I'm sorry I called kale "stupid." I'll just call it "icky" instead. Gimme all the good turnips, and parsnips, rutabagas and bok choys, and heirloom tomatoes (oh, my delightful heirlooms, I love you so) and broccoli and cauliflower, and every non-kale dark leafy green in the world, and I'll lay down in a bed of pure orgasmic, organic delight of nature's bounty. I love them all equally, I really, truly do.

But alas, we are but mere children who do not know how to properly fuel our physical vessels without the superfood that is kale. /sigh

You seem to be intentionally missing the point of what I'm posting. I said that calling foods names is an immature way to approach food. Having food preferences is not immature.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I think a lot of folks on this board who follow IIFYM and enjoy junk food like to disparage anything associated with "healthy eating" or "eating clean". Calling foods gross is a symptom of that attitude.

Seriously? LOL

I've heard people call various foods gross all my life. Including pizza!
  • JoRocka
    Options

hysterically you should go check the IIFYM diaries (many are open) and see what they eat regularly. You'll probably find a great deal of chicken and veggies with small servings of "dirty" food.

You seem to be intentionally missing the point of what I'm posting. I said that calling foods names is an immature way to approach food. Having food preferences is not immature.

I weighed myself before and after I pooped today.

how's that for adulthood.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Seriously? LOL

we should hang out- ... I'm ordering pizza.

<wickedgrin>

MOAR FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

in for the food shaming on pizza!!!!!
  • williams969
    Options

I do that everyday, JoRocka:flowerforyou: . Now pooping is a fascinating topic.
  • rejectuf
    Options

I did note that it was probably going to get some reverb.

And then I remembered- me hating on one particular food doesn't mean I passive aggressively hating you directly or judging you for eating it. more for you- I still think it tastes like *kitten*- I also hate the color pink- does that automatically mean I'm judging you for wearing the color pink?? nope. didn't think so.

and also - seasonings =/= food snacks.

I love garlic.
    And salt and pepper
    and cilantro
    and chili powder
    and rosemary
    and basil
    and lemon balm
    and mint
    and butter

none of these things I make an entire snack out of to just eat- they are seasonings.

I eat a very well rounded diet of lots of green things- and meat things- and fruit things- and fat things. I'm not sure where I implied that I disliked all green things. I love zucchini- and broccoli- and carrorts- and bok choy- and all sorts of things. I just really really really dislike kale. Don't much care for collard greens either. just bleck.

people think pizza and beer is gross. so what- more for me.

But there is no way kale will ever = doritos. it's just sad. You can like kale chips- I don't care- but they aren't any where close to doritos or any other highly processed delicious cheesy chip- or corn chip. And saying that they are a replacement makes me sad.

Kale got dubbed some sort of weird super healthy food and it's a band wagon food- and some how the healthy social media have jumped on board and dubbed it amazing- and it's super bitter- and I really dislike when something gets popular simply because it's popular because someone said it was. I'd be willing to bet 3/4 of the kale eating population wouldn't' be eating kale if some magazine hadn't said try it it's amazing for you. I don't care that people like weird things- I get annoyed when people like weird things because someone told them it was good.

I ate kale because my parents made it for me, and then I continued making it for myself. I tried kale chips at a farmer's market and they were tasty so I make my own now. Kale isn't some bandwagon thing. It's a food. It tastes pretty good to a lot of people. Bitter isn't a bad thing. I don't really care about it's health benefits. I use it just like I would brussel sprouts, squash, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc. It's a nice side.

Also, why do you insist on having your own preference but continue to insist mine can't possibly exist?
  • JoRocka
    Options

I do that everyday, JoRocka:flowerforyou: . Now pooping is a fascinating topic.

in for the pooping for science.

:drinker:
  • JoRocka
    Options

I ate kale because my parents made it for me, and then I continued making it for myself. I tried kale chips at a farmer's market and they were tasty so I make my own now. Kale isn't some bandwagon thing. It's a food. It tastes pretty good to a lot of people. Bitter isn't a bad thing. I don't really care about it's health benefits. I use it just like I would brussel sprouts, squash, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc. It's a nice side.

Also, why do you insist on having your own preference but continue to insist mine can't possibly exist?

I never said you couldn't.

I just said kale was gross and shouldn't ever be used to be a subsitute for chips.

Much like I love cauliflower- and in no way EVER is it pizza.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Eat all the GMO soy and commercially produced chemicals that you want. At a calorie deficit you will still lose weight. However, if you actually want to get healthy, maybe you should learn more about the additives you're putting into your body instead of blindly blaming "fear mongers" and "health nuts" for falsely demonizing these "foods". Your choice.

ETA: I also eat junk sometimes... but I still do know better. Darn hormonal cravings...

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/making-sense-of-chemical-stories.html

I do appreciate the link, however I would like to state that I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Biology and minored in Chemistry. My issue is not with a misunderstanding of the chemicals in processed foods, it's an issue with the basic principals by which food manufacturers produce foods these days. Faster, cheaper, and more addictive. Why do soy products need to be added to nearly everything? Soy has been shown to disrupt the endocrine system. Not to mention there is no definitive answer as to whether or not GMOs can be harmful, but the majority of soy produced is GMO. Apples, vinegar, coffee, are all made up of chemicals, that's not the issue. The question is, when did whole ingredients get surpassed by cheap extracts and synthetically produced flavors? Why do cheese flavored corn chips have to contain so many unnecessary ingredients? Shouldn't they contain, corn, salt, and cheese? I don't know, it seems that things could be so simple....
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Seriously? LOL

we should hang out- ... I'm ordering pizza.

<wickedgrin>

MOAR FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

in for the food shaming on pizza!!!!!

Heck yeah, I'm in.
  • williams969
    Options

And I apologize if I stated something awkwardly. When I said "one stupid, singular food" it was a sort of colloquial statement of the silliness of the situation--that being the situation where someone is reacting quite defensively over one person's singular food dislike. Indeed, the offended poster makes broad and mistaken assumptions about the kale-haters' relationships with food. The whole THING is stupid, see? Not the kale, not the people here--the argument is ridiculous and overly dramatic (i.e. stupid).
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I would eat either chip. Just because something has a name I can't pronounce doesn't mean a dang thing. It means I didn't take a chemistry class. Or realize that some words have a common name and a scientific name. That's it.

Even without a chemistry class, you are a genius. This is perhaps the smartest thing that will be written on MFP today.

I agree!!! So happy to hear someone else say what I've always thought. :-)