That Dang Processed Food! DEVIL!!!!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I ate kale because my parents made it for me, and then I continued making it for myself. I tried kale chips at a farmer's market and they were tasty so I make my own now. Kale isn't some bandwagon thing. It's a food. It tastes pretty good to a lot of people. Bitter isn't a bad thing. I don't really care about it's health benefits. I use it just like I would brussel sprouts, squash, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc. It's a nice side.

Also, why do you insist on having your own preference but continue to insist mine can't possibly exist?

I never said you couldn't.

I just said kale was gross and shouldn't ever be used to be a subsitute for chips.

Much like I love cauliflower- and in no way EVER is it pizza.

Well you can like doritos but they're nasty and shouldn't ever used as a tortilla chip.

Do you really not understand how incongruous that statement is?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

I feel that way about pretty much all cheeses. Food preferences. People have them.

I feel it still doesn't equate with a passive aggressive statement about one's diet choice, which is what the response was originally about.

I think a lot of folks on this board who follow IIFYM and enjoy junk food like to disparage anything associated with "healthy eating" or "eating clean". Calling foods gross is a symptom of that attitude.
    Probably one of the most amazing but misunderstood concepts circulating among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts in general, is IIFYM.

What started as a phrase from a user named Erik Stevens on bodybuilding.com, quickly caught on and proceeded to cause an uproar of internet stupidity everywhere.

IIFYM stands for "If It Fits Your Macros" and it was originally phrased on the bb.com forums as a fast way to respond to the overwhelming number of questions about whether or not someone could eat a particular food item without having to worry about getting fat, or not gaining muscle, or (insert other negative effect).

Here are some examples of the questions that would come up: "Hey can I eat fruit on a cut?" "Hey is it okay for me to have oatmeal?" "Hey I had a cookie but I still stayed at my calorie and macro goals, is that okay or will that hurt my progress?" (The answer being "Yes, you can eat it if it fits your macros").

IIFYM literally means to hit your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day choosing foods that you enjoy eating. The concept is completely bastardized because idiots across the internet continually come up with scenarios that don't exist in real life, to try and blow a hole in the idea that IIFYM is a sound practice.

Here are some examples of the strawmen arguments that show up in an attempt to discredit IIFYM: "You're telling me you can just eat straight table sugar for your carbs, and drink olive oil for your fat, and use whey protein and you'll have a good physique?". "Hey have fun eating pizza and donuts all day". "Brb just eating cake, IIFYM".

Good luck with that. (You'll note that you typically can't hit your macros eating chips and donuts all day and if you CAN, your macros are probably horsesh*t to begin with and you've then got bigger problems. The point here is that IIFYM most certainly isn't a disregard for health or nutrient sufficiency, but people will often create and knock down that strawman).

What IIFYM is not:

1) It is not eating cake and chips all day.
    2) It is not disregarding micronutrients and fiber and general intelligence with regards to food choice.
    3) It is not a specific macro setting. There is a website out there that has the IIFYM label that includes a calorie calculation tool and unfortunately several people on MFP believe that doing "IIFYM" means eating those specific macros. This is false.

IIFYM is a philosophy about food selection with the belief that body composition changes are primarily a function of nutrient intake and energy balance rather than a function of individual food sources.

When practicing IIFYM, it is recommended that you choose mostly whole and nutrient dense foods to comprise the majority of your intake. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, etc, and at the same time, leaving some room for a discretionary intake. A common and very reasonable recommendation would be about 80/20. That is to say, that if you've got a calorie target of 2500, you'd eat approximately 2000 calories of whole and nutrient dense foods with a calorie bank of 500 to eat whatever you would like while still hitting your calorie and macronutrient targets by end of day

Source:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Anyways, I'm sorry the idea of someone liking kale is terrible. Here's a peace offering to everyone who loves doritos: www.7-eleven.com/doritosloaded
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did chemistry, and now I'm on my way to be a food science engineer - aka. an evil mastermind in training, apparently... Since I know what the label says, does that mean it' healthier for me then? Or, what if I make those ingredients, cook myself a nice batch of dorritos in our test-lab, does that then mean it's a home cooked meal and therefor of course healthier?

:huh: :laugh:

LOL!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I weighed myself before and after I pooped today.

how's that for adulthood.

I do that everyday, JoRocka:flowerforyou: . Now pooping is a fascinating topic.

in for the pooping for science.

:drinker:

I had to put coconut oil in my coffee this morning, because I was way under my fiber goal for yesterday, and I don't like awful laxatives or weird senna teas! SCIENCE! And immaturity!

Bring on the gifs, because I'm totally innerwebz stupid and can't innerwebz gud!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I would eat either chip. Just because something has a name I can't pronounce doesn't mean a dang thing. It means I didn't take a chemistry class. Or realize that some words have a common name and a scientific name. That's it.

Even without a chemistry class, you are a genius. This is perhaps the smartest thing that will be written on MFP today.

I agree!!! So happy to hear someone else say what I've always thought. :-)

Ya'll flatter me.

giphy.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against chips. I just don't eat them because they are like crack... and it's one of the few things that I do better without for that reason, lol.

I have nothing against chips either. (Those Kettle ones are actually pretty good; OP, I don't like Doritos either.) My only problem with them is that when it comes to potatoes I like the ones I make at home better than most chips, for fewer calories and more filling, and if I do want some higher calorie potato and salt and oil combination as a treat (in moderation) I'll usually opt for really good fries.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But for those who are more active, I guess if you want to use low nutrient foods to stimulate the pleasure centers in your brain, go for it.

I really am actually quiet impressed with the amount of judgeiness you managed to squeeze into this one last highly passive aggressive sentence. that I'm sure took some work!!

+1
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Topics best avoided in polite society: Religion, Politics, ...Kale(?)
  • honoralexandria
    honoralexandria Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't reply on any of the forums mostly but I wanted to give you a thumbs up on your comment.

" Just because something has a name I can't pronounce doesn't mean a dang thing. It means I didn't take a chemistry class. Or realize that some words have a common name and a scientific name. That's it. "

So many many people think all chemicals are evil, and things with unpronounceable names are automatically bad. Nothing could be further from the truth. "real" food is filled with chemicals the average person can't pronounce. It's just science (chemistry).

I wish more people understood this, but am heartened to see posts from those who do understand it.

(and for those wondering, at least two of the chemicals in the Doritos list are naturally occurring, and several of the lab-created ones are "organic") )
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    I guess it all comes down to what our definition of "processed" entails.

I can live with preservatives that have proven to be safe over a 20 or 30 year period, even if the chemical formula names are long and unwieldy. As much as I like both Doritos & Potato Chips, if either of those products are made with GMO's, I'd probably rather avoid them than ingest them. I know Frito-Lay is playing it pretty close to the vest in regards to whether or not they use GMO corn. That kind of "processing" makes me nervous.

And of course, I'm sure I'm still consuming some amount of GMO products--mainly because big Ag is fighting so hard to prevent GMO labeling, and hey, I gotta eat.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    But for those who are more active, I guess if you want to use low nutrient foods to stimulate the pleasure centers in your brain, go for it.

I really am actually quiet impressed with the amount of judgeiness you managed to squeeze into this one last highly passive aggressive sentence. that I'm sure took some work!!

+1

I'm puzzled. There is an entire thread with multiple lifespans dedicated to the joys of stimulating your pleasure centers with food. Yet when I state baldly that this is why we eat foods like chips, people think I'm judging. That says more about them than it does about me. Fascinating double-think going on I suspect. (In case you wondered, yes, that right there, with the double-think phrase, was me judging!)

In any case, it has helped me to change my mindset about certain foods. Instead of thinking, "I'm hungry for a cookie or I'm craving a cookie" I think, "I want to stimulate the pleasure centers of my brain by eating a cookie." It's a dorky as hell way of putting it, but it has stopped me from eating an absolutely unnecessary cookie several times in the past month. If reading that ever helps anyone else do away with calories they didn't want or need that day, you're welcome!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    no such thing as an unnecessary cookie.... cookies are always necessary... especially

girl_scout_cookies_thin_mints.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

+1

I'm puzzled. There is an entire thread with multiple lifespans dedicated to the joys of stimulating your pleasure centers with food. Yet when I state baldly that this is why we eat foods like chips, people think I'm judging. That says more about them than it does about me. Fascinating double-think going on I suspect. (In case you wondered, yes, that right there, with the double-think phrase, was me judging!)

In any case, it has helped me to change my mindset about certain foods. Instead of thinking, "I'm hungry for a cookie or I'm craving a cookie" I think, "I want to stimulate the pleasure centers of my brain by eating a cookie." It's a dorky as hell way of putting it, but it has stopped me from eating an absolutely unnecessary cookie several times in the past month. If reading that ever helps anyone else do away with calories they didn't want or need that day, you're welcome!

there were a million ways to say it yet you had to add on the "for you active people" (which is totally irrelevant) and then the tail end of it- which I don't know the exact words- which was just really passive aggressive and snarky.

And hell yes I eat cookies because they make me happy. Should I just rub one out instead of eating a cookie? I don't understand why you have an issue with eating a cookie because it makes you feel good. If you don't want to eat cookies- fine- fair enough- but saying you don't want to eat them because you don't want to eat them just to make you happy? That I think is the something to think about.

You only get one life- yes you want it to be great- and fabulous and you want to do it in a fabulous body- but for many people there is a way to have both.
    Well you can like doritos but they're nasty and shouldn't ever used as a tortilla chip.

You don't have to like them. You can think their nasty- it's okay. It's nothing personal to me if you don't like them. I'm not sure how you don't understand that.
    I have kale loving friends- and I tell them all the time I won't eat it because it's icky. Some how- because we are adults- we all go on about our lives- and eat together- still hang out together- and are still friends.

but yeah- definitely adding it to the list now apparently!!!
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Let's face it. If every American met our RDA every day with only food, we'd have a vegetable shortage crisis and the entire processed food industry would take a huge financial hit.
    [/quot

I agree, eating processed food is clearly patriotic
  • Meerataila
    Options

+1

there were a million ways to say it yet you had to add on the "for you active people" (which is totally irrelevant) and then the tail end of it- which I don't know the exact words- which was just really passive aggressive and snarky.

And hell yes I eat cookies because they make me happy. Should I just rub one out instead of eating a cookie? I don't understand why you have an issue with eating a cookie because it makes you feel good. If you don't want to eat cookies- fine- fair enough- but saying you don't want to eat them because you don't want to eat them just to make you happy? That I think is the something to think about.

You only get one life- yes you want it to be great- and fabulous and you want to do it in a fabulous body- but for many people there is a way to have both.

You don't have to like them. You can think their nasty- it's okay. It's nothing personal to me if you don't like them. I'm not sure how you don't understand that.
    I have kale loving friends- and I tell them all the time I won't eat it because it's icky. Some how- because we are adults- we all go on about our lives- and eat together- still hang out together- and are still friends.

Well, sorry you got offended. Go unwrap a smile, then.

Sound familiar? It should. It's marketing for chocolate. All these companies not only want us to associate their food with the pleasure of eating, but with happiness, love, family, even individualism and daring (remember those Mentos commercials?).

I'm just trying to lay it bare for what it really is. Because it helps me not consume an unhealthy amount of the stuff. And it might help others, too.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    Let's face it. If every American met our RDA every day with only food, we'd have a vegetable shortage crisis and the entire processed food industry would take a huge financial hit.
    [/quot

I agree, eating processed food is clearly patriotic

I don't consider anything about corporate America to be patriotic. Quite the opposite.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

+1

Well, sorry you got offended. Go unwrap a smile, then.

Sound familiar? It should. It's marketing for chocolate. All these companies not only want us to associate their food with the pleasure of eating, but with happiness, love, family, even individualism and daring (remember those Mentos commercials?).

I'm just trying to lay it bare for what it really is. Because it helps me not consume an unhealthy amount of the stuff. And it might help others, too.

166.gif