Five guys....ffffffffff

Options

Replies

• MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The one time I ate there I was annihilated so I don't remember if I liked it or not.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Five Guys near me, but in terms of being American and coping... I was brought up being brainwashed by my dad that all fast food is "fake" food - like made of "edible plastic" (that's what he called it) and so I have this weird thing from my childhood that I really can't eat that stuff because I subconsciously think it's plastic.

And that's how you brainwash your child into eating healthy for the rest of her life. Haha... Too bad you can still get fat without eating ANY fast food!!!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I've tried Five Guys but don't understand all the fuss. Of course I like thick burgers so rare the bottom bun is soaked in red juice and cheddar cheese, not flat overcooked patties with icky American cheese on it.

Now Lark Burger on the other hand slays me every time. If they were within walking distance of my work, I would be so screwed.
  • mboromom
    mboromom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks.....now I want 5 guys :-(
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Five Guys is my east coast version of In n' Out on the west coast, and I love it! However, I only go once in a while because their prices are high, but the food is juicy and plentiful. I try to do the hamburger or little hamburger, and if I have a friend, split the small cajun fry. Yum!

Edit: And it's pretty bad for you. lol js
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK & yet to have one open near me sceptical about the hype though. I can recall everyone getting excited about Krispy Kreme opening & I tried so hard to love it but failed. Overpriced stale tasting doughnuts bleurgh!

Sadly, Krispy Kremes must be eaten fresh. There should be a sign "Fresh Hot" when they come out of the oven. Thy sugar on the glazed donut is super yummy!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    five guys was the last fast food i have eaten close to three years ago

i miss it :(
  • TJ_Rugger
    TJ_Rugger Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    We don't cope... we're mostly overweight.

True story! I will go occasionally (2-3 times a year).

You go there on cheat days... or nights when you're pretty drunk!

I personally don't understand the people up here who are constantly worried about the high calories when they go out to eat....

Everything is fine in moderation.... and if you're going to have a cheat day, enjoy it!

One day eating well over your calorie goal is not going to kill you, but the key is to remember not to do that regularly.

The problem (well one problem) with many Americans and their sedentary lifestyle is based around the fact that so many American cities are spread out and the infrastructure is not capable for mass transit. When I have traveled outside of the US, we walk most places or take trains/public transportation all of which you have to walk to in order to get to them.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Five Guys, In & Out, Freddy's, all excellent burgers, but I only like the fries from freddy's, especially with the fry sauce nomnomnomnomnom. Luckily, I can make any of them fit in to my day if I want to. Yay being tall and lifting!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Five guys... meh. They are just average to me. Now Smashburger.... that I can get behind.

ETA: I miss In N Out.

Smashburger is much better than 5 guys, IMO. Their sweet potato fries, mmmmm. I've never tried In N Out, but I've heard mixed reviews on that.

Crown Burger ... now that's good. They started the Pastrami Burger (their "Crown Burger") long before anywhere else. My favorite, though, is their bacon cheese burger (in the Jr size ... it helps control the calories). Their fries are really good, too, and you HAVE to try their fry sauce! I think they were featured in a couple of food channel shows a few years back.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    lol I heard that 70% of Americans are obese or overweight.... so that's how we cope... :( Most American cities have a huge population of hamburger places. Some very small/rural/low income towns actually ONLY have fast food as an option. At least, in Texas that's definitely true. I used to work for a state news outlet and the statistics/research they did on obesity were scary.
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Even in america five guys is generally considered horrible for you, thats saying something =P When im trying to eat healthier i tell people five guys is really the only place here in jacksonville i cant find anything to eat lol.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    We don't cope... we're mostly overweight.

This
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    My sister loves Five Guys but I'm not as much of a fan. I forget which magazine it was in but, in it, Five Guys was rated the least healthy of all the fast food and fast-food-like burgers. Just FYI.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Where I live it's almost an hour to get to any fast food restaurants. That said, I hardly ever eat fast food anymore, in fact, most times I go into town I flat refuse to eat at most fast food restaurants. Why? Because since I've changed my eating habits, most of it makes me feel ill. Usually I only eat it if I'm not in the mood to fight and that's where everyone wants to eat. Some days I just don't have the energy to argue.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone that loves both In-n-Out and Five Guys, I don't think they're really competitors. Yeah they both make burgers but In-n-Out is more fast food oriented, with prices that are competitive with McDonald's, Wendy's, et al. Five Guys is a mid-tier burger competing with Smashburger, Shake Shack, maybe Red Robin. By the way I haven't seen Shake Shack mentioned yet and they win this category by a mile. I'm fortunate to live in a city where mid-tier burgers are all the rage, even upper tier restaurants are offering fantastic burgers.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I have tried three guys before...but never five.

Wait......

Woo Hooo, fly the freak flag grrl! yeah!
  • ValGogo
    Options
    that loves both In-n-Out and Five Guys,

a little of the old in-out, in-out
    30405805_.jpg
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone that loves both In-n-Out and Five Guys, I don't think they're really competitors. Yeah they both make burgers but In-n-Out is more fast food oriented, with prices that are competitive with McDonald's, Wendy's, et al. Five Guys is a mid-tier burger competing with Smashburger, Shake Shack, maybe Red Robin. By the way I haven't seen Shake Shack mentioned yet and they win this category by a mile. I'm fortunate to live in a city where mid-tier burgers are all the rage, even upper tier restaurants are offering fantastic burgers.

We have a family style restaurant near us that does wagyu (kobe but not really) beef burgers with these sweet sourdough buns grrrrlglaaaaaah... I get them california style with sauteed mushrooms avocado slices and melted provolone and a side of fried okra since I'm not a huge fry fan. The only issue is when somebody overcooks my patty, because you don't do that to a good burger!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks.....now I want 5 guys :-(

I was just thinking after this thread- man i could totally go for a burger ...

turns out it's the department picnic- so we all stood in line and got burgers and my yearly quota of one hotdog.

So craving fulfilled!!!! WOOT WOOT