1200 cal/day girls! Let's share our diaries!

Options

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    There has been some helpful advice here, and I am going to go right along with those that say to eat more! I started at 1200/day because I didn't know any better. Silly me....I trusted that the MFP calculations would lead me in a healthy direction. WRONG! I became exhausted within a couple of weeks of working out 4 days a week (lifting and cardio) . Then I had some friends tell me I was doing it wrong, that MFP is a big liar. I adjusted, and I still adjust pretty frequently. I fluctuate anywhere between 1300-1600/day, and I do my best to eat back as much of my calorie bank as I can. I tried to use the TDEE method, but it wasn't working for me after giving it a few months, so I readjusted and went from there.

I'm not saying that 1200 isn't possible, I'm saying it's not probable. Do yourself a favor and eat more.
  • AlisaK27
    AlisaK27 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    58212059.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    There has been some helpful advice here, and I am going to go right along with those that say to eat more! I started at 1200/day because I didn't know any better. Silly me....I trusted that the MFP calculations would lead me in a healthy direction. WRONG! I became exhausted within a couple of weeks of working out 4 days a week (lifting and cardio) . Then I had some friends tell me I was doing it wrong, that MFP is a big liar. I adjusted, and I still adjust pretty frequently. I fluctuate anywhere between 1300-1600/day, and I do my best to eat back as much of my calorie bank as I can. I tried to use the TDEE method, but it wasn't working for me after giving it a few months, so I readjusted and went from there.

I'm not saying that 1200 isn't possible, I'm saying it's not probable. Do yourself a favor and eat more.

Not that I'm a fan of the 1200/day, but it seems that you weren't using MFP as it was designed to be used.

MFP would have you add your exercise calories in addition to the 1200. Were you counting them into your daily allotment?
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    feel free to peek at mine. I am 5'4" wanting to get to 125 - 130.
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I aim for 1200ish (on non exercise days) to 1400-1500 (on exercise days) and log every day.

Feel free to add me!
  • NerdyAdventurer
    NerdyAdventurer Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Mine is set for 1280, do I still count?

Feel free to add me. My diary is public and the more people I have to be accountable to the better :)
  • m1sk4
    m1sk4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    add me too, im 1200 cal a day as well (at least most of the days) :)
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mine is right around 1,200 most days, it's open and feel free to add me :)
  • ashgirl95
    ashgirl95 Posts: 48
    Options
    All of you who are saying your goals are around 1200 a day: take this from someone who fell victim to the consequences of this goal.

I had the same calorie goal the first time I tried to lose weight. It worked great (I lost 30 pounds)....until I started to eat normally again.

I've gained almost every single pound back that I lost when I was eating only 1200 calories a day, and that's because doing that destroyed my metabolism.

Please please please, do not set yourself up for disappointment like I did.

1200 calories a day is a TEMPORARY weight loss regimen, and who wants to temporarily look awesome?

Please, all of you, find a better and PERMANENT regimen. Listen to all the people ranting on here, use the BMR and TDEE calculators. Be respectful to your body.
  • molly12345678901234567890
    Options
    add me i need different foods that have low cal good protein - some days i feel so hungry
  • baum18
    baum18 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm just wondering why people (men and women) have the goal of losing weight instead of losing body fat percentage.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Not that I'm a fan of the 1200/day, but it seems that you weren't using MFP as it was designed to be used.

MFP would have you add your exercise calories in addition to the 1200. Were you counting them into your daily allotment?

I sure was. If I burned say, 400 calories doing cardio, I would eat them back. I used a HRM to track calories burned. I weighed and measured, but it got to the point where I was too tired to hardly move anymore. I wasn't losing weight, I couldn't concentrate, and my hair started coming out by the handful. After that, I figured out my TDEE and upped my caloies to 1500/day. That was a huge jump and I will admit it made me a little nervous. However, I dropped 10lbs and dropped 3 pant sizes within 2 months. Within a matter of a few days my energy returned, and I was feeling better.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I sure was. If I burned say, 400 calories doing cardio, I would eat them back. I used a HRM to track calories burned. I weighed and measured, but it got to the point where I was too tired to hardly move anymore. I wasn't losing weight, I couldn't concentrate, and my hair started coming out by the handful. After that, I figured out my TDEE and upped my caloies to 1500/day. That was a huge jump and I will admit it made me a little nervous. However, I dropped 10lbs and dropped 3 pant sizes within 2 months. Within a matter of a few days my energy returned, and I was feeling better.

Thanks for clarifying.

Glad to hear that you are doing so well.:smile:
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    All of you who are saying your goals are around 1200 a day: take this from someone who fell victim to the consequences of this goal.

I had the same calorie goal the first time I tried to lose weight. It worked great (I lost 30 pounds)....until I started to eat normally again.

I've gained almost every single pound back that I lost when I was eating only 1200 calories a day, and that's because doing that destroyed my metabolism.

1200 calories a day is a TEMPORARY weight loss regimen, and who wants to temporarily look awesome?

Please, all of you, find a better and PERMANENT regimen. Listen to all the people ranting on here, use the BMR and TDEE calculators. Be respectful to your body.

thanks for all of this however, maybe you didn't maintain properly. I have did 1,200 before and maintained for several years. I put weight back on because I started eating several takeaways a week and no workouts etc so to reiterate what others have said... WHAT WORKED FOR YOU DOESNT WORK FOR EVERYONE and WHAT DIDNT WORK FOR YOU MAY WELL WORK FOR OTHERS.
  • siegel7707
    Options
    feel free to add me! I log in every day and every meal. I am at 1200/day and don't go hungry. I have created and revised lots of old recipes to suit me. (plus, my mother in law is a chef and hubby took really good notes). I don't plan on being here (1200 cals) forever, but it's fine for me, for now. :flowerforyou:
  • cherbert1
    cherbert1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I added you. I stay pretty close to 1200 but do fluctuate on heavy activity days.
  • marrisu
    marrisu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anyone, add me! It is so helpful to see others diaries to get new food ideas!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options

thanks for all of this however, maybe you didn't maintain properly. I have did 1,200 before and maintained for several years. I put weight back on because I started eating several takeaways a week and no workouts etc so to reiterate what others have said... WHAT WORKED FOR YOU DOESNT WORK FOR EVERYONE and WHAT DIDNT WORK FOR YOU MAY WELL WORK FOR OTHERS.

I actually got under 1200 calories the first time i used the calculator - this time I got about 1270 - which mirrors almost exactly what MFP is telling me to do.
  • clairetomkinson84
    clairetomkinson84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm a 1200 cal girl too, feel free to add me if you need support and motivation. I'm pretty sure my diary and exercise logs are open for viewing too.
  • mollymcdonald0
    mollymcdonald0 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm around 1200-1300 i'll add!