Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    what happens at 7pm?
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Seriously though. I must be a Fatty McPhaterson because I'm still hungry sometimes after eating my 1800 cal goal. I couldn't imagine being full at 800 cals. Crazy....
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried about my body going into "starvation" mode, and gaining more weight. But is there a calorie limit that can make that happen? Or is 800-900 okay as long as it isn't habitual? I just don't want to screw up my metabolism by not eating enough :/

There have been dozens ( or maybe even hundreds ) of threads disproving " starvation mode " and it is difficult for me to imagine that there are still MFP members who actually believe that starvation mode is a possibility for people who live in the developed world, with the exception of people who have emotional problems that focus on food.....and with you weighing around 175 pounds that does not apply.
    So my thought is: troll.....because you can't possibly be for real.
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    Tomorrow (or later tonight) you will probably make up for it, just don't make a habit of it!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried about my body going into "starvation" mode, and gaining more weight. But is there a calorie limit that can make that happen? Or is 800-900 okay as long as it isn't habitual? I just don't want to screw up my metabolism by not eating enough :/

That's... not going to happen.

I mean, it could mess up your metabolism if you don't eat enough, but you're not going to gain weight on 800 calories. If it's a one time thing, don't stress over it. As long as you don't make it a habit. And if you're here, concerned about being full, you clearly don't intend to.

PS Even skinny minnies are very rarely full from 800 calories.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Bank it and eat it later this week.
    You will get hungry, this is an anomaly.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh. I see someone beat me to it...lol. SEriously though, if you aren't hungry....don't eat. You will soon be hungry enough.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite in the heat and have trouble eating all my calories. So what I do is make a protein shake with a scoop of ice cream and milk or eat a scoop of ice cream if I've hit my protein macro.

Even when I feel stuffed I can eat ice cream, there's something to that saying "there's always room for ice cream".
  • jenyart888
    Options
    Seriously, how can I be expected to troll these message boards and take this weight loss seriously??? No, I'm not talking about the 800 cal and full question...but I really did not think it was possible to laugh harder than the Bill Cosby gif...till I kept scrolling and saw the others. I cant see the laptop screen, I have tears in my eyes...STOP, I cant take it, too funny! This jar of Planters peanuts beside the laptop took me 200+ over my daily calories, I shall do better tomorrow! Newbie so this will take a while to get the hang of it, there is wayyyyyyy too much info on this site, but in a good way. I'm learning, slowly but surely...:smile:
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    [love it

quote]
    download.gif

No one need make another comment after this ^^^. Pretty much says it all.
    [/quote]
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    To the OP: if you're not hungry, and this is not a common occurrence, don't worry about it.
    Maybe have a bit of a treat that you wouldn't usually get, like ice cream, or peanut butter on crackers & a glass of milk.
    Not much, just 200-300 calories.
    I must be a Fatty McPhaterson because I'm still hungry sometimes after eating my 1800 cal goal.
    I couldn't imagine being full at 800 cals.
    I'm curious what you're eating if you're still hungry after that much.
    If you're having nutrient-dense foods, things like veggies, fruits, beans, lean meat, it should fill you up and keep you satisfied.
    Are you having protein & fat at every meal? That helps satiety too.

I had about 1300 cal before "dinner" today, and debated not eating it because I really wasn't hungry, probably in part due to the heat.
    Dinner was 250: 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, 1c of raspberries, 2T honey.

I started eating that way after reading a study (links below) saying that a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner leads to greater weight loss. Haven't really been hungry since, though it can be difficult to push myself to have a large breakfast.
    What time you eat is irrelevant to weight loss
    Not true.

"The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Here's the summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Here's a PDF of the whole article:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf
  • cheeks102490
    cheeks102490 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So far I've only had 800 or so calories for the day and my belly is so full. I had fajita chicken and bell peppers with brown rice and Sriracha at 2 pm and I've stayed full since. Now dinner is coming and I'm not even hungry. There's a box of cookies here in front of me and I don't even want them. I feel totally satisfied, and I'm not TRYING to limit myself, I just don't feel like I can pack any more food into me before 7 pm. And no I haven't exercised today. Do I have to eat to meet 1200 even if I'm not hungry?? Ahhh! Please give me some advice!

You know your eating good quality food when your full after 800 calories!

To answer your question, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Your body is a better indicator of hunger and satiety than a mathemtical equation that is basically a guestimate of how many calories your supposed to eat a day :)

Are you working out too? what kind of workout?

I've eaten pretty healthy and clean today, peanut butter, bananas, wheat toast, chicken, brown rice, and tons of veggies. I had some cheese too until I got full. But I have the feeling a lot of other posters think I'm possibly eating rice cakes and celery all day and that's why I'm at 800 cals, which is not the case. Of course you know brown chicken and rice is really filling, and with all my water intake my stomach stays full. I was surprised myself, because I ate A LOT and was at 800, but other times I've eaten a bunch of low-fat processed foods and been STARVING at the end of the day even at 1300 calories. I haven't worked out today which is why I was trying to make it to 800. And the reason I didn't want to eat past 7 was because I knew I wasn't going to exercise today, and also I'm just not very hungry today. I' m 5'2" and 170 pounds, and totally new to losing weight...I guess I kind of thought MFP was a place to ask real advice without getting bashed on from a lot of users but I guess that's just wishful thinking....lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    To the OP: if you're not hungry, and this is not a common occurrence, don't worry about it.
    Maybe have a bit of a treat that you wouldn't usually get, like ice cream, or peanut butter on crackers & a glass of milk.
    Not much, just 200-300 calories.
    I must be a Fatty McPhaterson because I'm still hungry sometimes after eating my 1800 cal goal.
    I couldn't imagine being full at 800 cals.
    I'm curious what you're eating if you're still hungry after that much.
    If you're having nutrient-dense foods, things like veggies, fruits, beans, lean meat, it should fill you up and keep you satisfied.
    Are you having protein & fat at every meal? That helps satiety too.

I had about 1300 cal before "dinner" today, and debated not eating it because I really wasn't hungry, probably in part due to the heat.
    Dinner was 250: 1/2 cup of greek yogurt, 1c of raspberries, 2T honey.

I started eating that way after reading a study (links below) saying that a large breakfast, medium lunch, and small dinner leads to greater weight loss. Haven't really been hungry since, though it can be difficult to push myself to have a large breakfast.
    What time you eat is irrelevant to weight loss
    Not true.

"The [large breakfast] group showed greater weight loss and waist circumference reduction ... fasting glucose, insulin [&] triglycerides ... decreased significantly to a greater extent in the [large breakfast] group."
    In addition, hunger was less and satiety was greater.
    Here's the summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    Here's a PDF of the whole article:
    http://genetics.doctorsonly.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Jakubowicz-at-al-Obesity-2013-oby20460.pdf

That study was done on overweight obese women with a metabolic disorder. It compared 3 meals a day broken up into either larger breakfast/smaller supper vs smaller breakfast/larger supper. Not exactly applicable.
  • EverSinging
    EverSinging Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So far I've only had 800 or so calories for the day and my belly is so full. I had fajita chicken and bell peppers with brown rice and Sriracha at 2 pm and I've stayed full since. Now dinner is coming and I'm not even hungry. There's a box of cookies here in front of me and I don't even want them. I feel totally satisfied, and I'm not TRYING to limit myself, I just don't feel like I can pack any more food into me before 7 pm. And no I haven't exercised today. Do I have to eat to meet 1200 even if I'm not hungry?? Ahhh! Please give me some advice!

Your body is a better indicator of hunger and satiety than a mathemtical equation that is basically a guestimate of how many calories your supposed to eat a day :)

I've eaten pretty healthy and clean today, peanut butter, bananas, wheat toast, chicken, brown rice, and tons of veggies. I had some cheese too until I got full. But I have the feeling a lot of other posters think I'm possibly eating rice cakes and celery all day and that's why I'm at 800 cals, which is not the case. Of course you know brown chicken and rice is really filling, and with all my water intake my stomach stays full. I was surprised myself, because I ate A LOT and was at 800, but other times I've eaten a bunch of low-fat processed foods and been STARVING at the end of the day even at 1300 calories. I haven't worked out today which is why I was trying to make it to 800. And the reason I didn't want to eat past 7 was because I knew I wasn't going to exercise today, and also I'm just not very hungry today. I' m 5'2" and 170 pounds, and totally new to losing weight...I guess I kind of thought MFP was a place to ask real advice without getting bashed on from a lot of users but I guess that's just wishful thinking....lol

Yeah....the trolls are always out on the internet. Positive reframe? Now you know who to block!

Back to this food business. This is making me hungry....darnit. I had about 1350 today and I'm starving, but not eating now! Generally speaking, one day that's off isn't going to make or break you in either direction. That said, and you'll hear this ad nauseum on these forums, but are you weighing food? Looking at that list of all you ate today, 800 seems lowballing. Peanut butter can easily be 200 cal. a serving. Banana easily 100. Good wheat toast...one piece easily 100. Rice is another 200. Chicken breast another 150 or so. Add in cheese and more fruits and veggies, and I'm past 800. Just a thought that you might have consumed more than you realized. Either way, no cause for panic.
  • cheeks102490
    cheeks102490 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Yeah....the trolls are always out on the internet. Positive reframe? Now you know who to block!

Back to this food business. This is making me hungry....darnit. I had about 1350 today and I'm starving, but not eating now! Generally speaking, one day that's off isn't going to make or break you in either direction. That said, and you'll hear this ad nauseum on these forums, but are you weighing food? Looking at that list of all you ate today, 800 seems lowballing. Peanut butter can easily be 200 cal. a serving. Banana easily 100. Good wheat toast...one piece easily 100. Rice is another 200. Chicken breast another 150 or so. Add in cheese and more fruits and veggies, and I'm past 800. Just a thought that you might have consumed more than you realized. Either way, no cause for panic.

No I haven't been weighing my food. You're right I may be low-balling it, I think I will end up looking into a food scale. Thanks for the helpful advice!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    --
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You won't go into starvation mode.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

There have been dozens ( or maybe even hundreds ) of threads disproving " starvation mode " and it is difficult for me to imagine that there are still MFP members who actually believe that starvation mode is a possibility for people who live in the developed world, with the exception of people who have emotional problems that focus on food.....and with you weighing around 175 pounds that does not apply.
    So my thought is: troll.....because you can't possibly be for real.

Perhaps with the couple of effects she described of course those aren't going to happen in 1 day.

But a blanket dismissal of a mode the body can go in to is also rather ignorant of many studies, even if the myths normally thrown out as fears aren't true effects of it.

Would a 25% deficit for an obese person causing a reduction in metabolism of 20% in 3 months be difficult to imagine?
    And that's above and beyond the expected lowering due to lost LBM and weighing less.

Might want to read up. Because many on here, even if inaccurate logging, will go a good month at 50% deficit easy. Except for the binges due to trying to eat so low.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

OP - one day ain't going to do it.
    Just be willing to eat more when you actually are hungry then, if you are willing to not eat when not hungry.
    Then again, don't eat much constantly enough, and hunger is no longer a valid indicator of what your body needs.

Also - you ate more than you think. If you keep up that badly inaccurate logging on days you are hungry, it will be a negative effect.
    What you've described eating is likely more than 800 cal, unless you barely had a spoonful of some of that stuff. My guess is your measuring is off.