• darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    arsenic prunes... time to collect some inheritance. :wink:

just kidding
  • pamelas9
    pamelas9 Posts: 29
    Options
    If they don't step off....just beat them to the punch EVERY TIME YOU interact with them. Say: Hello Grandparents. Quick status update....weight loss, nearing goals. Girlfriend....none on the horizon. Disappointment as a grandson....apparently right on track. So, how've you two been lately?

OMG> Too funny. I go with this... it could even be a good ice breaker into the "You criticize too much talk."
  • jso81810
    jso81810 Posts: 1
    Options
    I read once that elderly people lose their inhibitions when they get older because of changes in their brains. The grandparents may have no clue they're being rude. http://consumer.healthday.com/senior-citizen-information-31/misc-aging-news-10/aging-brain-drives-blunt-behavior-and-missed-memories-528008.html

If it makes you feel better, my grandmother once told me that she had some old clothes she wanted to get rid of. She then looked me up and down and said, "I guess they wouldn't fit you." That side of my family has always been unpleasant, and I choose to no longer spend time around them. In my case, the potential for someday actually getting something out of the relationship is quite low, and the likelihood of leaving a conversation feeling frustrated and embarrassed is quite high. People aren't owed love and respect just because they share our genetic material when they do everything possible to make us miserable.

If there really is love and affection there, then tell them how you feel. You know you're unhappy when you don't talk to them about it; talking about it might improve the situation. It's worth it to experiment. Good luck and be proud of the changes you're making.
  • fuzzysham
    fuzzysham Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The next time they bring that up just casually mention you were just shopping for a speed boat.

They will forget all about the girlfriend "issue".
    If it works in Seinfeld, it's bound to work in real life, right?