Finished a very low calorie diet - what next?

Options
12346»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    A lot of you may see that as voodoo, but i don't care. I'm open for trying all manner of things and seeing what works for me. What i do know is that my skin looks great and i feel great. I just wanted some advice about returning to my normal eating methods and wanted to know what to expect from my body as i do so.

OP, I think you mean 'hoodoo' :wink:
  • hookilau
    Options
    I just want to know what toxins were cleansed, and how brown rice accomplished this feat.

Rigger

Rigger, if you're genuinely interested, here is the info. Might i add, i would NEVER do this for longer than 10 days. People seem to be getting confused thinking that i do this all the time. i don't. I'm generally a fat git who thought the opportunity to cleanse my system from all the food and booze i drink sounded like a good idea. For 10 days. Not for a lifetime. I was just genuinely surprised by how much weight i lost, yet i think a lot of that had to do with the big meal i ate before i weighed myself and possibly some muscle lost, but i actually got stronger so i don't know what's going on there.

"Why do a cleanse? 

It's a method of giving the digestive system a rest.  By eating one type of food, your body 
    only  has  to  digest  one  thing.  This  means  energy  usually  used  to  digest  food,  can  be 
    redirected and used to heal, cleanse and repair the body. 

The Ohsawa  diet  is recommended for 10 days.  Usually, 7 days of cleansing wipes the 
    slate  clean.  Your  body  is  usually  fully  cleansed,  reset  and  ready  to  run.  However, 
    depending on how toxic you are, 10 days makes sure most people receive the full benefits 
    of the cleanse. 

Effects of the Oshawa cleanse 
    1. Intensive  purification  &  massive  detox,  elimination  of  toxins accumulated in body 
    tissue (unpleasant physiological reactions) 
    2. What  if  i  am  already healthy?  This will refresh and give a general cleanse of the 
    body. 
    3. Purify the energy system.  Cleansing the NADIS .   
    4. Kapha  dosha (phlegm)  is reduced  which  hinders  the  movement  of energy in the 
    body.  This  purification results  =  significantly  immediate  clarification and  clarity of 
    mind; 
    5. Digestion improves significantly 
    6. Hormone secretions are regulated, 
    7. The skin is clean and bright. 
    8. Eyes are brighter with an unexplained power and lust for life, often foreign to them. 
    9. Excellent method to regulate weight, without starvation. 
    10. What if you’re underweight?  10 days of the Oshawa cleanse can normalize weigh t.
    11. Resistance to extreme hot and cold temperatures are amplified.   
    12. Sweating & body odours are reduced. 
    13. Yang status of the cleanse helps us to feel that we can better control our emotions. 
    14. For  those  who  are  addicted  to  drugs  or  toxic  substances  (alcohol,  coffee, 
    recreational drugs etc) the number 7 regime detoxifies the body. 
    15. INTENSE HEALING 
    16. Enhances  the  control  over  the  sexual  and  vital  energy,  is  effective  in  fighting 
    premature ejaculation" 

yep. hoodoo allright.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna apologize now because when I first read this thread...this was my immediate reaction...
    giphy.gif

and unfortunately it turned into this...

giphy.gif

Just trying to lighten the mood.
  • hookilau
    Options
    If you really need to work on your premature ejaculation try thinking about baseball. If you have too much phlegm, spit. And keep your hormone secretions to yourself.

God people will do anything to avoid regular diet and exercise...

:laugh:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.... For the toxins. lol
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Well Lucas, i guess we're at an impasse. I was skeptical at first as i like to do yoga more for the physical aspects than the mental, but i tried it and after 10 days i feel great. Clear skin, better digestion, don't fancy alcohol or sweets and i'm in a better mood and i put that down to the cleanse. You can't dispute that as i haven't felt this good after eating veg and chicken after 10 days.

And if you work for the NHS, why not give me some advice that i was actually asking for rather than tell me what i did for the last 10 days was wrong?

OK, you did it, you feel better, and now you want some advice on how not to gain the weight back.

In my opinion, the biggest reason that you feel so much better, is that you cut out alcohol for 10 days. You sound like you were a pretty heavy drinker before doing this cleanse, and a lot of processed sugars. So if nothing else happened but you lost your lust for sugar and alcohol, then I guess the 'cleanse' was good for you.

My advice at this point- keep the alcohol and processed sugar out of your diet as much as you can. The actual toxins in alcohol is the most damaging substance to your liver and other organs. If you go back to eating the processed sugar and drinking alcohol as you were before, then the weight you lost will come back very quickly.

Slowly increase your calories, adding in appropriate amounts of protein and healthy fats. Your body was deprived of much of these 2 essential macros for 10 days. Your muscles need the protein, and your body needs an appropriate amount of healthy fat for many reasons.

Expect to gain a few lbs of water weight, but if you don't go crazy with the carbs, it shouldn't be too bad.

And BTW, the South Beach Diet is not a fad. It is the Mediterranean diet that is followed by millions of people around the world. It is probably one of the most healthy lifestyles of eating that works well for many people. Just because someone gave it a cool name and wrote a book about it, doesn't make it a fad.

Just curious, is your profile pic of you before and after the 'cleanse'? because if it is, then you could sell millions if you wrote a book about it! :happy:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I didn't really want to get into the rights and wrongs of a cleanse, some people think its madness, others live their lives by it.

I'm just after info about how the body reacts after something like this, weight gain wise. I'd be interested to here what damage you think has been done after 10 days?

I won't get into the cleanse thing, but if you were eating very low calorie, you likely lost quit a bit of muscle. Increase your calories, get at least 100g/kg of protein, and lift some heavy things to avoid losing any more muscle. You will not gain this muscle back unless you are in a calorie surplus, so at this point it is all about retaining your lean body mass while you lose mostly fat.

Good luck!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Do humans need to be cleansed of toxins? Absolutely. Babies are exposed to a couple hundred of them before they're even born.

I don't think people are dropping like flies from cancer because we're living longer, I think it's because we live in a toxic environment.

But is brown rice really going to do what our livers and other organs are failing to do for us in regard to these very real toxins? I really don't think so.

You haven't seen anything yet. GM crops = cancer. A cousin of mine is a oncology nurse and according to her 90% of her patients die. So the perception that you have had it if you develop cancer is the right one.

Because your cousin told you that 90% of her patients with cancer die, you conclude it is because of GMO crops? Or do you have any other evidence that GMOs cause cancer? I admit I am baffled by your post and would like some clarification.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sorry your post got taken over by such snarky people. :flowerforyou:
    It seems like whenever someone asks a question on here, they're all quick to jump on you instead of actually answering the question in a positive and constructive way.

There's seriously some uppity people on these boards, y'all need to calm down. :sick:

star-trek-next-generation-drink.gif

I have nothing to add. I'm just here for the Worf .gif <3<3<3
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Found this online:

"Guidelines for Breaking a Fast:
    Care needs to be taken when breaking a fast so as not to overburden your digestive system. The best benefit of fasting is realized when a fast is broken properly. Taking it slow and easy is not only kind to your body, but allows YOU the opportunity to integrate your new-found clarity on your relationship to food.

During a fast, the body undergoes several biological changes. Enzymes normally produced by the digestive system have ceased to be produced or have been diminished greatly, depending on the type of fast performed, so introducing food slowly allows the body time to re-establish this enzyme production.

The protective mucus lining of the stomach may be temporarily diminished as well, making the stomach walls more vulnerable to irritation until it also returns to normal. Gentle reintroduction of foods, beginning with the simplest and easiest-to-digest foods, supports this process. Substances known to be irritating to the system, such as coffee and spicy foods, must be avoided during the breaking process.

Because of these biological changes, overeating immediately following a fast is much worse than overeating at any other time. Your system needs time to readjust back to normal digestion and assimilation. Not taking the proper measures can result in stomach cramping, nausea, and even vomiting. "

The rest of the article can be found here:
    http://www.allaboutfasting.com/breaking-a-fast.html
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    In for "purifying brown rice".
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I feel people arent really understanding me. THIS WAS NOT A DIET, IT WAS A CLEANSE! I was never hungry during the 10 days and it was only a 10 day thing. They say to rest during a cleanse but I carried on lifting and doing hiit which is what much have caused the extreme weight loss.

'but I carried on lifting and doing hiit '

you are correct. this would be exactly why you lost so much weight. You are going to add some back. Don't be discouraged by the scale going up. Gradually increase your calories and continue to work out. but the next time you do a cleanse, rest.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

And USMCMP....another person that only reads what he wants.

I'm a woman, not a man.

I also answered your original question in my first post, then went on to clarify why the "cleanse" didn't do anything special for you. Good luck and I hope you don't gain all your weight back plus some (which usually happens).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, what's wrong with me? I've been thinking the same thing about you with your belief in all those things the brown rice cleanse does for a person. And, I'm not love, thank you. :wink:

I don't believe everyone should do a cleanse. I believe that i did one and my skin looks great. Rigger asked me the benefits of cleanse, i posted them. Someone else asked me why brown rice, i posted that too.

Sure, i knew i would lose some weight eating low cal, but i didn't expect to be eating SO low. You were supposed to eat when hungry, so i did. THis coupled with rigorous exercise made me lose a lot more than i thought.

And like i said, i have been eating crap for the last two months so thought a cleanse was a good idea, and it was. All the booze and takeaways feels a million miles away.

I repeat, i did not do this for weight loss. yes, that happens, but i did it to see if i would feel better as was claimed by my yoga group and i do. I don't really see what is wring with that and why all the fuss. A lot of you are making it sound like i'm trying to convert you to some sort of cult when i'm doing nothing of the sort!!
    Thank you sharing this. I understand why you did it, though I believe no food is junk and cleanses are unnecessary.

As for the cult, no, I don't get the impression that you are trying to convert anyone, but the list of benefits of this cleanse is--and no offense intended--pretty much ridiculous. The fiber is accurate, though.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    OP, my vote is to go eat something.

Like a sandwich.

Or cake.

Congrats on buying into the diet fad. Your body probably didn't use any less "energy" processing your brown rice as it would have doing those other things.

Good luck, yo.

funny-gifs-haters-gonna-hate.gif
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. Not sure if you are still reading but I wanted to congratulate you and wish you continued success. It took determination to stick with your low calorie diet for that length of time, and hopefully you broke any bad eating habits you may have had previously in the process. Things like mindless snacking and reaching for comfort food. I do agree with the other posters that long term success depends on setting up a nutritious sustainable moderate deficit diet in the long run. I know you do too, and you got some good advice as to how to do it (raise your caloric intake slowly, and add spicy and other bowel unfriendly foods later). In the very short term (like the first two weeks), I think there is nothing wrong with a starting a diet off with more extreme deficit or even limited food groups. Losing weight quickly is a morale booster that helps with adherence. I hope you can channel any negative emotions you felt reading some of these comments into determination to "show them". Let this stuff be fuel for your workouts!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what toxins were cleansed, and how brown rice accomplished this feat.

Rigger

You know when you drop your cell phone in the toilet and people tell you to put it in a baggie filled with rice? It's probably like that... maybe... you know... toxins and stuff don't like rice... those toxins... you know...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Automatically bashing and ridiculing alternative medicine is, to me, like bashing someone's religion, because there is a spiritual component to it often. "So you think Jesus Christ died on a cross for your sins??!?! Show me some scientific proof! Otherwise you're a gullible idiot who bought into a really long con and you are spreading filthy lies!" It's just not done, out of respect for others, so why go there.

Humans have been doing cleanses since ancient Egypt. Obviously it does something for someone. Live and let live.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    Please note the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,
    Ninerbuff
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.