The objective of this forum

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Is it not supposed to be for people to ask questions and get help? Instead you just see people post pointless topics in order to start controversy. If a certain lifestyle is right for someone else but isn't right for you why bash it? I just don't understand, let them do what works for them and you do you. No reason to shame people for the choices they make and the foods they decide to eat.

Perhaps you need to take your own advice, respond to the posts you want to respond to in the way you want to respond, and let everyone else participate in the forums in the way that works for them.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Instead you just see people post pointless topics in order to start controversy.

Pot, meet kettle.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    This is a community full of many types of people who have many different objectives. They're not all going to conform to your personal view on how this forum should be used. You probably don't conform to everyone's view of how it should be used either.
    You mean like creating a thread in a forum where it doesn't belong instead of putting it where the subject would be appropriate?
    But I think what it really boils down to is some people are frustrated to see others losing weight and they aren't so they lash out at them.
    My observation has consistently been that the tickers of the "mean" people are way more likely to be on the "successful" side than the people who are complaining about them. I can't recall seeing anyone with 50+ lbs lost complaining how everyone is mean and life is unfair and they are being victimiz-- hey waitaminute, is there maybe a connection between these two things?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Is it possible, and hear me out here because I'm about to get crrraaazy, but...but is it possible that different people use the forums...for different things?

Right? I know. I just blew your mind.

tumblr_mp0oyeUuAv1snfsquo1_400.gif
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    OP I took a look at your forum post history and I have to say man you have dished out some harsh truths yourself in your day. I'm not saying thats wrong, it just makes me wonder what triggered your change of heart here.

On a side note in creeping on your profile post history I happened upon your progress shots. Really good job man, you look like you have really made progress.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the guidelines for the forums. MFP decides when a thread does not meet their standards/guidelines and pulls the plug. Maybe MFP does not conform to your ideals, but it is working the way they intended.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Is it not supposed to be for people to ask questions and get help? Instead you just see people post pointless topics in order to start controversy. If a certain lifestyle is right for someone else but isn't right for you why bash it? I just don't understand, let them do what works for them and you do you. No reason to shame people for the choices they make and the foods they decide to eat.

Lots of mean people threads lately. So many, in fact, that I'm starting to think that's the purpose of these forums: rooting out meanies.
    Well it IS in the meta tags, if you view source in your browser:
    <meta name="description" content="Free online calorie counter and diet plan. Lose weight by tracking your caloric intake quickly and easily. Find nutrition facts for over 2,000,000 foods. And root out all of the meanies!" />
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I can never resist a mean people thread...I try...but I fail every time...so I guess I'm in then.

tumblr_m35nbhLX9i1qh9xdao1_250.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I understand when people are doing dangerous stuff for sure. But I think what it really boils down to is some people are frustrated to see others losing weight and they aren't so they lash out at them.

As a new member thank you for pointing out how that appears to a new member. It's been awhile since I've been one. I'd suggest for you personally that when you read the threads try to suss out for yourself who is particularly annoying to you or unhelpful. There is an awesome feature on this site called "ignore" you enable it by clicking under the person's avatar/profile picture and then not only do you not have to read their ridiculous words or lack thereof but you also don't have to look at their ugly avatar ever again if their posting/rantings have become so bad that you can't stand the sight of them anymore.

I hope this tip helps you create on this site an experience that works for you. There are other features but seeing as this bothers you this seems like the best solution for you personally.:flowerforyou:
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    On a side note I believe that the objective of the MFP forum is to provide a public forum for the MFP community. That is about it. Anything else as to its "purpose" is projecting your personal biases and desires.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If people can't handle criticism,debate or sarcasm from a total stranger on a forum how the hell do they handle it from family friends or in the work place.

The world is not always a nice place take the good stuff and ignore the bad

I always keep a pair of big girl panties nearby just in case.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Lots of mean people threads lately. So many, in fact, that I'm starting to think that's the purpose of these forums: rooting out meanies.
    Well it IS in the meta tags, if you view source in your browser:
    <meta name="description" content="Free online calorie counter and diet plan. Lose weight by tracking your caloric intake quickly and easily. Find nutrition facts for over 2,000,000 foods. And root out all of the meanies!" />

I'm brower, I don't look at full browser tags. But this is good to know. Thank you for the kind help and for not being a big doo doo head.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If people can't handle criticism,debate or sarcasm from a total stranger on a forum how the hell do they handle it from family friends or in the work place.

Speaking of big girl panties everytime I see your profile picture I think its a woman bent over with her pants falling down until it dawns on me that it is your armpit.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you're here long enough, you will come to understand the frustration of the same nonsensical questions popping up over and over.

I think it's good for the wider community that some choose to challenge and correct misinformation when it is presented as fact. I also think it's good that people won't necessarily validate every idea that someone comes up with, because a lot of the time it is downright stupid.

Different perspective, yo.

When you're new, I can understand you'd see a lot of it as unnecessary.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    me, too. i mean about the armpit and panties falling down and all that. thank you for pointing it out. i thought maybe it was just me.

seems a fitting way to bring this thread to an end.

not that it will, of course. just sayin'
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I understand when people are doing dangerous stuff for sure. But I think what it really boils down to is some people are frustrated to see others losing weight and they aren't so they lash out at them.

Oh yes, that must totally be it.

Not people who've been there done that, succeeded, fallen, riddled with a wealth of knowledge to help those understand the dangers of certain dieting methods and enlighten to a better path.

It's because I'm a jealous hater
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Speaking of big girl panties everytime I see your profile picture I think its a woman bent over with her pants falling down until it dawns on me that it is your armpit.

Omg that's hawt. Now I'm oogling arm pit :love:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Great, now that's what I see, now! That's one sexy armpit, manderson27! :love: :flowerforyou:

PS: In for panties... and mean people. I'm new, too, but I spent a whole lot of time reading and learning the "culture" of the forums. I get it; but some don't. Some people just seem to see tough love as "mean" people, and always will. And I learned right quick that "Search" button is your best friend as a noob. Ask stupid question, get stupid answers.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is a community full of many types of people who have many different objectives. They're not all going to conform to your personal view on how this forum should be used. You probably don't conform to everyone's view of how it should be used either.
    You mean like creating a thread in a forum where it doesn't belong instead of putting it where the subject would be appropriate?

To be fair, there isn't a "butthurt" forum.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

I just spent 5 minutes squinting at my profile pic until I suddenly saw what you meant. :noway: You are freaking warped. I like it.:laugh:

Perverts the lot of you. :grumble: