What's your favorite breed of dog?

Options

Replies

• SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Chek-Slovak Shepherd. Had the most awesome one for 8 years, passed in March

Serious inquiry: Anyone have experience with wolf hybrids? They sound very similar to Shepherds...
  • bpp23
    bpp23 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Right now it's my boxer mastiff mix. She's so laid back, it's insane!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Shetland Sheepdogs (shelties) are beautiful and smart :) Love them
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Chek-Slovak Shepherd. Had the most awesome one for 8 years, passed in March

Serious inquiry: Anyone have experience with wolf hybrids? They sound very similar to Shepherds...

Most wolf hybrids are a scam, just mixes of dog breeds with wolf like features and passed off as part wolf.

True wolf hybrids are not like any domestic breeds and should not be mistaken for one. They may have some traits but they are still part wild animals. They need specific handling and training, a very large area to roam with a good fence and need a diet closest to their wild counterparts.

Some good info
    http://www.wolfpark.org/Images/Education/ArticlesWordDocs/SoYouThinkYouWantAWolf.pdf
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had a wolf hybrid four decades ago... the only non purebred, non registered canine we ever had, He was part husky, part grey wolf, looked like a taller rangier husky with big paws and yellow eyes, and came from the Yukon. I took him through obedience training, despite the clear and outspoken disapproval of the trainer, and he passed with flying colors. We lived in the country with safely fenced acres of yard. Kai had a wonderful singing voice and would join in when we played tapes of wolf howling. He would play with our spaniel, and when she had enough she'd roll over on her back, dog submission, and he'd go for her belly, still playing. When HE had enough, he'd turn his head to show submission wolf style, and she'd go for his throat... a bit of a language barrier. When the spaniel had pups she'd do her best to growl him away, but when she was outside he'd run to the nest and regurgitate food for the pups as if they were his wolf pups... definite wolf, not male dog, behavior. That said, I don't reccommend crossing wolves and their far too changed descendants, but that one was a lovely and gentle animal. We had no aggressive behavior from him at all, not even over food, he just deferred to us humans as he would to a pack leader. As a bonus, he kept the place free of destructive and disease carrying vermin such as cats, raccoons, opossums and rabbits!
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    We've been a Golden Retriever family my entire life! I couldn't imagine having any other dog in my house although I do LOVE huskies, German Shepherds, and Shiba Inus! Big dogs FTW. :heart:
  • Maddogpilot
    Maddogpilot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it is a Rescued Dog!

Our rescue site is www.grrsn.org for Golden Ret.
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Any breed that can be quiet!! So tired of these "yip yip" dogs that bark every time a leaf blows past!!
  • alicia0412
    alicia0412 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    No exaggeration when I say ALL of them. But I go through phases where I am obsessed with one particular kind of dog.

Right now those are:
    Boxers (I grew up with a boxer who was the sweetest dog in the entire world, so boxers will always be an obsession for me)
    Boston Terriers
    Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
    Beagles
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Dachshunds are my favorite - they are so mischievous. One dachshund is trouble. Two are a gang. Three are a criminal syndicate.

Generally love all dogs. It's the big brown expressive eyes that get me every time.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Shelties for temperment, but lots of fur.
  • Eiromynus
    Eiromynus Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Golden retrievers. First dog "I"(it was my cousins, but I lived with them for 2 years) had, and since then I just love the breed. Their character, energy level, how they look, everything!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

NO.... get a purebred from a show breeder, and by "breeder" I don't mean a puppy mill or pet store, someone who breeds a few select litters with an eye to quality and breed standard, and we did in our dog showing days.. We stupidly took in a rescue last week, she had been through a rescue organization and we knew she had some food and bed protection issues, but until we got her I didn't realize this dog would snarl at you if you leaned down to look at her or talk to her as she lay on her bed, that she could not be groomed or bathed , claws clipped or ears cleaned, unless she wore a muzzle ( and she woulfd fight you about putting it on, so her contact person said.) Two days ago, My husband was on the couch when she jumped up; he told her to get down and pointed to the floor, and she lunged at him in full out attack, not a fear bite, an actual attack. Well, it was obvious that this dog could not be trusted, and any attack on a human is a death sentence. Today she is buried in the back yard with a hollow-point bullet in her head and my husband has a nasty gash and 11 puncture wounds to his hand. I will never accept a rescue dog again unless it is a purebred Clumber spaniel. Off track Greyhounds are wonderful, but I cannot have one because of hay wagons, tractors, etc., going through gates, and a sighthound will dash out. But as for abused, abandoned, or possibly unsocialized rescue dogs, NO. You can never tell what mental issues they have or what will bring it to the fore.
  • rizzla00
    rizzla00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jack Russell.........:smile:
    cross bred golden retriever...:smile:
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Shelties....Such a sweet temperament

3shelties.jpg
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Huskys. :heart:
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    love em all but man...

POMERANIAN :)
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Staffies. Any type of staffies. They're so full of energy and they're so sweet and once you get through their stubbornness they'll do anything for you! Also really funny, mine never fails to make me laugh. So sad many of them end up in shelters i just wanna safe them allllll

And i like shih tzu's too, weird combo. My grandma had one and it was such a great little dog, great temperament too. English bulldogs are on my list too because... yknow. Everything.
  • boxingurl
    Options
    1. English and Neapolitan Mastiffs - Loving, very loyal, goofy, teddy bear dogs but protect your family and house like nobodies business. Had several mastiffs growing up and they have remained my favorites.

2. Pomeranian - Hilarious little attitudes, confident, and just fun to be around. Very much the big dog attitude with these guys.

3. Dutch Shepherd - The pooch I have now is a Dutch Shep and just love her temperament and goofiness. They are very smart and she just loves everyone unless you have the red dot of death on you, she would chew threw a knee cap for that dot >_>.

4. Pit Bull - Love the look, love the energy they put into everything, love the gentle nature they have with kids and smaller animals
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

NO.... get a purebred from a show breeder, and by "breeder" I don't mean a puppy mill or pet store, someone who breeds a few select litters with an eye to quality and breed standard, and we did in our dog showing days.. We stupidly took in a rescue last week, she had been through a rescue organization and we knew she had some food and bed protection issues, but until we got her I didn't realize this dog would snarl at you if you leaned down to look at her or talk to her as she lay on her bed, that she could not be groomed or bathed , claws clipped or ears cleaned, unless she wore a muzzle ( and she woulfd fight you about putting it on, so her contact person said.) Two days ago, My husband was on the couch when she jumped up; he told her to get down and pointed to the floor, and she lunged at him in full out attack, not a fear bite, an actual attack. Well, it was obvious that this dog could not be trusted, and any attack on a human is a death sentence. Today she is buried in the back yard with a hollow-point bullet in her head and my husband has a nasty gash and 11 puncture wounds to his hand. I will never accept a rescue dog again unless it is a purebred Clumber spaniel. Off track Greyhounds are wonderful, but I cannot have one because of hay wagons, tractors, etc., going through gates, and a sighthound will dash out. But as for abused, abandoned, or possibly unsocialized rescue dogs, NO. You can never tell what mental issues they have or what will bring it to the fore.

Awesome. Overarching assumptions and generalizations based on the actions of a single animal. You're a winner. I provide a home to 2 wonderful rescued dogs, both who came from messed up situations, and had plenty of issues, as well as a cat that was deemed unadoptable by animal control. Now, they are amazing dogs and my daughter's guardians, and the cat is the sweetest thing ever, and I could never stand cats. I have also experienced first hand nut job pure breeds, that were well trained and originated from highly regarded, champion breeders.