What's your favorite breed of dog?

Options

Replies

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Rescues are my favorite! That's why I have 4 of them. It just breaks my heart to think of paying for a pure breed when they murder thousands of good dogs a day in shelters.

If we lived in a perfect world though, I would love to have an Irish Wolfhound! They look like werewolves! Unfoutuatly centuries of breeding has left them with a lot of genectic disorders and due to their size they have short life spans.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Any and all! Okay, that's not true. I'm not a huge fan of pit bulls, bulldogs, or rottweilers. Not because of their reputations - because I don't find them cute and have never had a connection with a dog of those breeds.

I've never had a purebred dog, but I love huskies, golden retrievers, and German/Australian shepherds. I have a thing for big cuddly dogs. I've never even come into contact with a dane, but I'm sure I'd love them. Small breeds like yorkies are too freaking cute, but too fragile. I want a dog I can wrestle with, not one I have to make sure I don't accidentally step on. I'll hold/pet/play with any dog, though, as long as it's sweet. We saw a doberman, a dog I've never considered having, at a local shelter and he was just the sweetest thing. If it weren't for my husband holding me back, that pup would've gone home with me.

What I love most is this mutt:

photo2_zpsf80a738f.jpg

photo4_zps3fc1ada5.jpg

My Daisy <3
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Oh so many:

German Shepherds
    Bull Terriers
    Jack Russell Terriers
    Border Collies
    English Bull Dogs (cuz they are so cute), but they have lots of problems
    Yellow and black Labradors
    Oh, and Poodles
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options
    How can you choose just one? Over the years I've had Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds, Cocker Spaniel, Boston Terriers, Poodle, ****zu, Australian Shepherd, Border Collie, Old English Sheepdogs, Great Pyrenees, Belgian Malinous, Chihuahuas, and of course various mutts.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    West Highland Terrier!

<

Smart, spunky, independent, sturdy little dogs. Plus, this one is a major snuggler.

EDIT: I have also taught him how to play hide and seek with his toys. I let him smell a toy close him in the bedroom, hide it, let him out and watch him find it. Super adorable. We also play tag, and he knows how to be "it" =) I love him an incredible amount

OHHH I forgot the Westie AND the Scottie!!!

I must say, I like lots of terriers. I guess my favorite type of dog is terrier.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have two Siberian Huskies; one is 9 and the other is 6. I love them but, never again! They are constantly getting in to something. Trash, taking dishes out of the sink, digging holes in the yard trying to get at whatever made the hole in the first place. Then they come inside with dirt or mud all over themselves. In the past year, they've killed two rabbits, two groundhogs, a squirrel and an opossum that were dumb enough to come into the yard. Then there's this thing where they are constantly trying to escape. I have an acre fenced in back yard for them to run in and we also have an invisible fence along the chain link fence but they still manage to escape every few months. We have to put them in the garage when we go to work because we can't trust them to not destroy the house. They are a large source of stress in my life. But, they are our dogs and we love them anyways. However, I will definitely get a dog breed that is not so high maintenance next time.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    My current favorites are the two rescue dogs in my lap in my profile picture. They are herding dog mixes, and fill my home and heart with love and fun every day.

I love almost all dogs of various breeds, and just like people, there are some dogs that I have a hard time liking, but not due to breed, due to personality and behavior.

Over the years I have had German Shepherds, Beagles, Brittanies (best family dogs ever), Aussies and various rescue dogs of undetermined breeding.

My cousin raises Norwegian Lundehunds, those are really cool dogs!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Soon to be in the market for a BIG Malamute... Small mixed breed rescue dogs currently inhabit my house... and a Basset-X... who would like to think he is toy breed... as for favorites.. St. Bernard, Malamute, great temperaments as long as you train them early and socialize them they are Fantastic Dogs...
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Owned by six papillons and a rescue mutt, So I would have to say:

Papillons
    Irish Setters
    French Bulldogs
    GSD's

I haven't met a dog I didn't like. If I were rich, I would build a no-kill shelter/rescue organization.
  • cmbronson54
    cmbronson54 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Akita of course! Loving, protective, smart....does not bark except to alert you of pending danger. Does not smell like a dog. Only needs a bath 2 to 4 times a year.:love:
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Titus3.jpg

My current canine companion, Titus, was a rescue dog who had been in the shelter for 6 months before he found us. Had his DNA checked (at DNAmydog.com) as there are stupidheads in parts of this country who have enacted legislation/bylaws making him not welcome. The results came back with American Staffordshire Terrier mixed with Labradour Retreiver with a dash of Boxer and a smidgen of Daschund and Min Pin. The first two were obvious right away and I could even see the third but those last two... Inteestingly, the DNA My Dog Validated Breeds are based on breeds recognized by the American Kennel Club® (AKC). The term “pit bull” has come to describe several types of dogs, often of mixed breed, that share similar physical characteristics. There are several AKC breeds with characteristics often shared by dogs referred to as “pit bull” that are in our database, such as American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Boxer, Bulldog, Bull Terrier and Mastiff, so these breeds could be identified.
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My favorite breed of a dog is a hot dog.

hot-dog-and-slab-pie-019.jpg
  • kezwbatay
    kezwbatay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My favourite has to be a pug

IMG_0361_zps731ca75a.jpg
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Boxers, of course!

wpxi603wahgm.jpg
  • TFG_em
    TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My dog is a Chiweenie (Chihuahua and dachshund mix) rescued a few months ago. He is the best :)
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I love all the *kitten*
  • pipsqueak1990
    pipsqueak1990 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have 2 Black labradors... but my favourite breeds apart from them are Newfoundland , St Bernards, English bull mastiff and Rottweilers ;)

I like big cuddly bears the best something you can wrestle with ;)
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    Bullmastiff veyjajpvme7n.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been showing sight hounds for years, so my best friends have been Afghans. She recently hosted a Basenji and boy, I loved that dog. Quiet, alert, intelligent and active. Like the Afghan, it attaches to it's family and pretty well everyone else doesn't matter. Not overtly affectionate like the golden retriever or the lab.