Do carbs make you fat?

Options

Replies

• ukatstar
    ukatstar Posts: 1
    Options
    I totally share your frustration and experience - I have struggled for 20 years and as I am now in my 50's it's even harder. I recommend reading Gary Taubes' book "Why we get fat and what to do about it"http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About-ebook/dp/B003WUYOQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403540319&sr=1-1&keywords=why+we+get+fat+gary+taubes

It was a rel eye opener and also at the same time a tough reality check. The science he works with has long term studies so it's not about a diet. It's all about explaining the body physiology that is prone to gaining weight from starchy carbs and sugar. I follow his advise - I do find it impossible to completely eliminate all starchy carbs (bread, baked goods, etc.) but I have been able to cut down and make better choices, stop the yoyo, loose weight slowly and sanely. Mainly self acceptance and understanding the results of eating foods that don't work for my physiology has brought me a lot of peace and a realistic outlook on the situation. I have not given up being fit or having a slice of great whole grain bread now and then - just learning to manage the situation from a more educated position helps a ton.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It just drives me nuts when I hear it's all about calories from experts or anyone for that matter because that's not the case for me.

Yes it is, it's the case for every human being. Different peoples' bodies do not work differently on such a fundamental level as how and what they burn for energy. Calories are literally units of energy - your body doesn't burn specifically fats, carbs, or proteins, it burns units of energy. High carb can cause more intense fluctuations in water weight which maybe masked weight loss for you, or you just weren't counting accurately or didn't give it enough time to see a change. I personally find it impossible to see a change in weight on a daily or even weekly basis and always feel like I'm "stalling", but when I look at a long term graph of my trending weight it's always in a decline.

What evidence do you have that every person's body responds the same to all food calories, regardless of the source?

The numerous peer-reviewed studies that have been done that all show parity in diet effectiveness despite different macronutrient breakdowns. Barring a medical condition, macros do not matter in terms of weight loss. And even in those cases where they do matter, they only matter to a small extent, and the mechanisms that make one macro "better" for weight loss than another in a person with a medical condition are usually mechanisms of increased RMR, which all comes back to calories in vs. calories out.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "calories in"? And what medical conditions would matter?

Calories in = calories consumed, i.e. food eaten. Medical conditions that would matter would be primarily diabetes, insulin resistance, and thyroid conditions, although I think thyroid conditions just alter your metabolic rate moreso than change your response to certain macros. There may be other conditions but I'm not a doctor so I haven't bothered to extensively research the matter.

I have Hashimoto's and Hypothyroid - I can attest it is still calories in and calories out. Just takes a litttle longer for us ;) but it still works ... Let me add a disclaimer IF IT IS CONTROLLED... if thyroid isn't controlled then it is a whole other matter...

Why would it take longer, if calories are all that matters?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It just drives me nuts when I hear it's all about calories from experts or anyone for that matter because that's not the case for me.

Yes it is, it's the case for every human being. Different peoples' bodies do not work differently on such a fundamental level as how and what they burn for energy. Calories are literally units of energy - your body doesn't burn specifically fats, carbs, or proteins, it burns units of energy. High carb can cause more intense fluctuations in water weight which maybe masked weight loss for you, or you just weren't counting accurately or didn't give it enough time to see a change. I personally find it impossible to see a change in weight on a daily or even weekly basis and always feel like I'm "stalling", but when I look at a long term graph of my trending weight it's always in a decline.

What evidence do you have that every person's body responds the same to all food calories, regardless of the source?

ETA: While you are correct that the body burns units of energy, that is not the same as saying that every calorie from food we eat is processed or used by the body the same in each of us. The human body is a very complex organism and what happens to those food calories can vary from human to human.

Simple answer to this question. I agree that the body is complex and I can concieve different people getting different calorie values from different macronutrients. The way they would be different is how efficient our body would be at processing certain nutrients.

Here is the thing though, the calorie content marked on foods is a calorimetry measurement and therefore is the MAXIMUM amount of energy you could EVER get from that food. Sure, I could believe it is possible that person A gets 75% of the caloric value from carbohydrates where person B gets 50% of the caloric value from carbohydrates however there is no person C that gets 150% of the caloric value from carbs. You could never go above 100% so therefore this idea that you could somehow gain weight eating as low as 1200 calories is not possible physically.

Can you conceive of a way to get more than 100% of the caloric value from food because I'm confident that is impossible.

ETA: Also want to make it clear I do not think there has ever been anything to substantiate the idea that there is a broad spectrum of calorie efficiency differences in the population and honestly that sounds more like a hand-wavy response to any "I'm eating X but not losing help" style question than actual science.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Because hypothyroidism when uncontrolled will cause your "maintenance" calories to be severely off and metabolism goes to crap... Combined with they symptoms of muscle pains, fatigue etc... working out is the LAST thing you think about. It DOES cause weight gain..

Mine was uncontrolled for 13 years... but in the last year it is now controlled, better diagnosed and dead... I have learned what works and what doesn't. It is quite simple :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you are insulin resistant or otherwise have insulin sensitivities, consuming too many carbohydrates can make it difficult to lose weight. This would essentially constitute a medical condition. If you are concerned about this, you should be paying a visit to your doctor.

Barring that, most people who eat the SAD could stand to reduce their carbohydrate intake to some extent in an effort to better balance out their diet...but it is not necessary to low carb to lose weight.
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    No they do not. I say this as someone with insulin resistance who is deep in the throes of perimeonpause, two factors that should work against my favor when it comes to carbohydrates.

My macros are 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein and I'm down 30-something pounds in 120-ish days.
  • sharyntg
    sharyntg Posts: 33
    Options
    CALORIES make people fat. Plain and simple. Extra calories end up as fat. It is all about the math. You can get fat eating too many potatoes and carrots as easily as if you overrate candy. It's about chemistry.
  • clambert1273
    Options

Those nice folks are wrong.

Calorie deficit = weight loss Calorie surplus = weight gain

I don't believe in magic.

*editors note* Certain medical conditions, like PCOS and Hashimoto's, make it more difficult to lose weight. But even in those cases calorie guidelines specific to the condition must be adhered to. It doesn't mean calories don't matter for those cases, in fact they matter more.

Exactly... I have to be very vigilant in my calorie tracking and constantly adjusting my numbers... for instance I have been eating at 1800 the last week - nothing has happened so I will take it down to 1700.. which is usually my sweet spot. I use the TDEE calculators as a GUIDE only and I adjust for myself.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I totally share your frustration and experience - I have struggled for 20 years and as I am now in my 50's it's even harder. I recommend reading Gary Taubes' book "Why we get fat and what to do about it"http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About-ebook/dp/B003WUYOQ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403540319&sr=1-1&keywords=why+we+get+fat+gary+taubes

It was a rel eye opener and also at the same time a tough reality check. The science he works with has long term studies so it's not about a diet. It's all about explaining the body physiology that is prone to gaining weight from starchy carbs and sugar. I follow his advise - I do find it impossible to completely eliminate all starchy carbs (bread, baked goods, etc.) but I have been able to cut down and make better choices, stop the yoyo, loose weight slowly and sanely. Mainly self acceptance and understanding the results of eating foods that don't work for my physiology has brought me a lot of peace and a realistic outlook on the situation. I have not given up being fit or having a slice of great whole grain bread now and then - just learning to manage the situation from a more educated position helps a ton.

Don't OP. One post from this person and first post is trying to sell you something. There are plenty of "diet secrets" books out there that you can choose from if you wish to confuse the issue or misinform yourself, if you are going to do that may as well get a cheaper one.
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

The numerous peer-reviewed studies that have been done that all show parity in diet effectiveness despite different macronutrient breakdowns. Barring a medical condition, macros do not matter in terms of weight loss. And even in those cases where they do matter, they only matter to a small extent, and the mechanisms that make one macro "better" for weight loss than another in a person with a medical condition are usually mechanisms of increased RMR, which all comes back to calories in vs. calories out.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "calories in"? And what medical conditions would matter?

Calories in = calories consumed, i.e. food eaten. Medical conditions that would matter would be primarily diabetes, insulin resistance, and thyroid conditions, although I think thyroid conditions just alter your metabolic rate moreso than change your response to certain macros. There may be other conditions but I'm not a doctor so I haven't bothered to extensively research the matter.

I have Hashimoto's and Hypothyroid - I can attest it is still calories in and calories out. Just takes a litttle longer for us ;) but it still works ... Let me add a disclaimer IF IT IS CONTROLLED... if thyroid isn't controlled then it is a whole other matter...

Already answered that - hypothyroidism causes a lower resting metabolism, which impacts the "calories out" portion. You'd have to further reduce calories in, and there's a limit to how low you can safely take your intake.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Too much in and not enough out is what makes you fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No they do not. I say this as someone with insulin resistance who is deep in the throes of perimeonpause, two factors that should work against my favor when it comes to carbohydrates.

My macros are 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein and I'm down 30-something pounds in 120-ish days.
    my peri experience is somewhat different.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Calories in calories out applies to everyone however calorie calculators to estimate your burn are based on population averages and there is a bell curve there. People with certain medical conditions are far outliers on that bell-curve and if they apply the standard online calculators for their burn estimates they will be pretty far off and it will look like somehow CICO doesn't apply to them. No CICO still applies, its just that they are going to have to work harder to establish what their calorie out value is.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

ETA: While you are correct that the body burns units of energy, that is not the same as saying that every calorie from food we eat is processed or used by the body the same in each of us. The human body is a very complex organism and what happens to those food calories can vary from human to human.

Simple answer to this question. I agree that the body is complex and I can concieve different people getting different calorie values from different macronutrients. The way they would be different is how efficient our body would be at processing certain nutrients.

Here is the thing though, the calorie content marked on foods is a calorimetry measurement and therefore is the MAXIMUM amount of energy you could EVER get from that food. Sure, I could believe it is possible that person A gets 75% of the caloric value from carbohydrates where person B gets 50% of the caloric value from carbohydrates however there is no person C that gets 150% of the caloric value from carbs. You could never go above 100% so therefore this idea that you could somehow gain weight eating as low as 1200 calories is not possible physically.

Can you conceive of a way to get more than 100% of the caloric value from food because I'm confident that is impossible.

Well, yes, since all those labelled calories are averages. Some food will contain more than the listed number of calories, so it is possible to get more than 100% of that number. Though, of course, it is not possible to consume more than the food actually contains.

You could easily gain weight on 1200 calories, because weight is more than just fat. And, though far less common, it is possible to have a BMR or RMR of < 1200.

But, what you describe above is actually my point. We do not all absorb calories the same.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Calories in calories out applies to everyone however calorie calculators to estimate your burn are based on population averages and there is a bell curve there. People with certain medical conditions are far outliers on that bell-curve and if they apply the standard online calculators for their burn estimates they will be pretty far off and it will look like somehow CICO doesn't apply to them. No CICO still applies, its just that they are going to have to work harder to establish what their calorie out value is.

and it sucks LOL just thought I would say that :P I don't even try to estimate - just find the sweet spot with intake that allows me to lose while in my exercise routine (weights)...
  • tiffanycherie
    tiffanycherie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use to believe the only way I could lose weight is lower carb, but once I started actually logging my food, I realized this is not true. The difference for me is that lower carb helps me stay in a calorie deficit b/c I don't feel the need to snack all day. I think the most important factor with weight loss is being consistent.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I use to believe the only way I could lose weight is lower carb, but once I started actually logging my food, I realized this is not true. The difference for me is that lower carb helps me stay in a calorie deficit b/c I don't feel the need to snack all day. I think the most important factor with weight loss is being consistent.
    And this is hugely important: find what YOU can do consistently. Among other things, I find it much easier to eat my "allotted amount" (for loss, or for maintenance) when I eat mostly whole plant "carbs" versus highly refined "carbs".
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    A caloric surplus is what causes weight gain.
    A caloric deficit is what causes weight loss.

It's a shame that so many can assume the mantle of wisdom by merely repeating such simple, and basic, information, but such is the rampant ignorance that has suffused society.

Out of the three macros (protein, fat, carbs), carbs are the most expendable.

So, no, carbs won't "make you fat" per se, but those are typically what one should watch.

Note: This doesn't apply to those who feel their life would be empty (no pun intended) if they never eat another doughnut again (never been an issue personally, but I can concede it may be for others). If a nutritionally light (and calorically dense) indulgence keeps you "on the wagon," knock yourself out!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Well, yes, since all those labelled calories are averages. Some food will contain more than the listed number of calories, so it is possible to get more than 100% of that number. Though, of course, it is not possible to consume more than the food actually contains.

You could easily gain weight on 1200 calories, because weight is more than just fat. And, though far less common, it is possible to have a BMR or RMR of < 1200.

But, what you describe above is actually my point. We do not all absorb calories the same.

What I described was your point not because I agree with your point but because I was reiterating your point. Do you have any actual study or evidence to back this claim up at all or is it just a "the body is complex who knows what is going on" sort of claim?

My point with the 1200 calories was OP was claiming that she could not lose weight at 1200 calories if she ate carbs and that is 100% not true so something is wrong there. You will lose fat eating 1200 calories unless you are 60 years old and 4'6'' and if you lose fat sure that might be masked by water retention for a bit but eventually if you stick with it you will see a reduction in your weight. There is no variation in body efficiency that could make up for this. My suspicion with the OP is that eating carbs will restock your glycogen which comes with a heafty amount of water retention while eating low carb will deplete your glycogen stores over time and result in a lot of lost water retention. One makes you look like you aren't losing weight, the other makes it look like the weight is steadily coming off...but its water, not fat.

The most calroies you could get is if your bodies chemical process and microbiome was 100% efficient (something that won't happen ever) in which case 1 calorie on the box would be 1 calorie for you where 1 calorie is the amount of energy required to raise 1kg of water by 1 degree celsius. To maintain your body temp, keep your heart beating, keep your brain functioning etc there is a minimum energy you require and no amount of "efficiency" is going to change that.