Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If carbs make you fat, then someone should tell these people:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFruitarian
    https://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Freelea

There are tons of very lean people who eat primarily carbs. My goal is not to promote a fruitarian diet, just to demonstrate that calories burned vs TDEE is all that matters for weight management

Eat as many carbs as you want. As long as you remain under your TDEE you will lose weight over time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I use lose weight and lose fat interchangably because I have to assume that when people talk about wanting to lose weight they are actually talking about wanting to lose fat.

If their goal actually is to truly just lose weight temporarily and for a limited amount then just go low sodium, cut carbs and drink tons of water and you will "lose weight" in the form of water. I, however, like to think when people ask how they can lose weight they are talking specifically about losing fat.

Most are. But many people on MFP seem to think water weight is always temporary and always just a few pounds. It's not. It can contribute significantly to weight in some people. And it can contribute long term if there is a dietary cause and the diet is not changed.

So many MFP members always post that if you are eating 1200 calories and not losing it's because you are really eating more than that. It's not always that simple. The person may very well be eating 1200 calories but gaining water weight. All they may need to do is change their diet.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It just drives me nuts when I hear it's all about calories from experts or anyone for that matter because that's not the case for me.

Yes it is, it's the case for every human being. Different peoples' bodies do not work differently on such a fundamental level as how and what they burn for energy. Calories are literally units of energy - your body doesn't burn specifically fats, carbs, or proteins, it burns units of energy. High carb can cause more intense fluctuations in water weight which maybe masked weight loss for you, or you just weren't counting accurately or didn't give it enough time to see a change. I personally find it impossible to see a change in weight on a daily or even weekly basis and always feel like I'm "stalling", but when I look at a long term graph of my trending weight it's always in a decline.

What evidence do you have that every person's body responds the same to all food calories, regardless of the source?

The numerous peer-reviewed studies that have been done that all show parity in diet effectiveness despite different macronutrient breakdowns. Barring a medical condition, macros do not matter in terms of weight loss. And even in those cases where they do matter, they only matter to a small extent, and the mechanisms that make one macro "better" for weight loss than another in a person with a medical condition are usually mechanisms of increased RMR, which all comes back to calories in vs. calories out.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by "calories in"? And what medical conditions would matter?

Calories in = calories consumed, i.e. food eaten. Medical conditions that would matter would be primarily diabetes, insulin resistance, and thyroid conditions, although I think thyroid conditions just alter your metabolic rate moreso than change your response to certain macros. There may be other conditions but I'm not a doctor so I haven't bothered to extensively research the matter.

I have Hashimoto's and Hypothyroid - I can attest it is still calories in and calories out. Just takes a litttle longer for us ;) but it still works ... Let me add a disclaimer IF IT IS CONTROLLED... if thyroid isn't controlled then it is a whole other matter...

If you are properly medicated, your loss should be no more difficult than the next person.

I also have Hashimoto's.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I use lose weight and lose fat interchangably because I have to assume that when people talk about wanting to lose weight they are actually talking about wanting to lose fat.

If their goal actually is to truly just lose weight temporarily and for a limited amount then just go low sodium, cut carbs and drink tons of water and you will "lose weight" in the form of water. I, however, like to think when people ask how they can lose weight they are talking specifically about losing fat.

Most are. But many people on MFP seem to think water weight is always temporary and always just a few pounds. It's not. It can contribute significantly to weight in some people. And it can contribute long term if there is a dietary cause and the diet is not changed.

So many MFP members always post that if you are eating 1200 calories and not losing it's because you are really eating more than that. It's not always that simple. The person may very well be eating 1200 calories but gaining water weight. All they may need to do is change their diet.
    I'm pretty sure if you just keep gaining water weight without stopping at the same rate you're losing fat that's something a doctor should be visited for.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I'm pretty sure if you just keep gaining water weight without stopping at the same rate you're losing fat that's something a doctor should be visited for.

In many cases, yes, it is. But that is never suggested on here. It's always just "you are not measuring / weighing correctly" "you are doing something wrong".

No doubt that is sometimes true, but it's not the only possible answer.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    OP - it isn't that carbs make you fat because in moderation they're part of a regular diet.

But, and there is a but, moderation is key. Your body will use carbs for energy and if your body has enough carbs it will burn through those first rather than using up your fat stores as energy. Your body will very, very rarely actually convert carbs into fat.

So in all truth, by eating too many carbs (and it's different for all of us, so I am not going to say how much you should eat) your body does not burn its fat stores and you don't lose these fat stores so you will either maintain or gain. Plus your body uses anywhere from 3 - 6% of the energy/calories coming from carbs to digest them, while it uses only 3% from fat.

Having a low carb diet means you will burn through your fat stores quicker, because that's where your body gets energy, but to answer your actual question: carbs DO NOT make you fat.

PS - carbs are found in other foods besides the traditional bread, pasta, etc; berries for example are a source of carbs. Breads and pastas are the starchy refined and more processed carbs.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    No, carbs do not make you fat. Eating too much makes you fat. And it doesn't matter if you eliminate all kinds of breads, sweets, etc. You still need to track calories, because it is possible to over eat no matter what type of diet you choose to follow (despite what some may say). It is all about calories in and calories out. You just need to figure out your calories in and your calories out accurately, so you can create a deficit.

If you aren't already, I suggest buying a food scale and weighing all your solids including things like peanut butter. Use measuring spoons and cups for liquids. Until you get a good handle on how much you are really eating, it is difficult to know whether you are in a deficit or not.

^^^^ This. I mean, one little thing, we're all different in the sense that some people react differently to REFINED carbs than others. I eats lots of veggies. I tend to stay away from processed **** foods loaded with salt and sugar. I believe *** that processed foods are quite hard on our systems given all the dyes, chemicals, and other crap in them. So I try to stay away. Make my own foods and not buy store bought stuff.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    EvilDoughboy.jpg
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options
    Eating carbs doesn't make you fat but they can make weight loss more difficult in some cases.
    Cutting carbs very low can force your body into ketosis wherein it begins to turn fat into ketones which are burned for energy in place of carbs. No one needs to be in ketosis to lose weight and even people using a ketogenic diet still have to watch calories (though many things high in carbs are high in calories). If you're eating a lot of breads and pastas, you're eating a lot of calories regardless.
    Eat less than you expend and as long as you're healthy, you will lose. This is not the case if you have PCOS in which case you should avoid carbs more because people with PCOS have excess insulin inherently. So, actually yes, carbs can contribute to making you fat on a low cal diet IF you have excess insulin caused by a medical disorder. People's bodies are different and some people may just have higher natural insulin levels than others, making carbs less needed in their diet. Additionally, carbs and high sodium foods can cause water retention, which can make your scale stand still. Again, everyone is different though. I have a friend who's favorite foods/basically all he eats are pasta, bread and rice. He managed to lose weight but it was long struggle since he had to eat little of all of them.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    EvilDoughboy.jpg

Oh sweet Jesus. That's my new profile pic right there. Taking it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think carbs can be a contributor to fat gain for some. For others, it doesn't. I know, FOR ME, too many carbs screws with my progress. When I was eating high carb and low fat, I wasn't losing much and it was frustrating. When I went keto, I lost weight AND inches rather quickly and I didn't start out overweight either.

I think it depends on the person. FOR ME, low carb is best.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor and make sure there isn't something wrong with you that is causing you to crave carbs.

I really think everyone should see a doctor when they decide to lose weight. First, a good doctor will determine if something is wrong with you that is making you fat. Second, they can give you advice that is for YOU and you only.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wow

I should clarify a little for me when I say carb I mean bread, pasta, rice, potato etc even whole wheat kinds
    I am able to eat most fruits and vegetables and still loose weight

This is just what works for me.

In no way shape or form am I suggesting that I can eat ANY amounts of fat and proteins and lose fat, what I am saying is I DO NOT loose weight if I eat the starchy carbs regardless of how low calorie I go. Not only have I done this in a controlled setting ( using scales, measuring cups and spoons ). I have also done controlled diets such as slim fast and nutrisystem and did not lose weight.

I know what works for me, and was looking to see if people had some similar experiences or further scientific information. So thanks for those that did or at least have an open mind that the general norm or perception may not hold true for everyone.

Not that I should even respond to the negativity but for the record in no way shape or form am I lazy or unable to measure or count calories.

We are not all the same and science is continually evolving. Think of some of the wrong advice we were given by medical professionals just 20-30 years ago. Remember when all fats were evil? Just trying to expand my knowledge and connect with like minded people.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

In many cases, yes, it is. But that is never suggested on here. It's always just "you are not measuring / weighing correctly" "you are doing something wrong".

No doubt that is sometimes true, but it's not the only possible answer.
    That's the WebMD style of advice I guess. "These symptoms could be because of this very basic harmless thing with a probability of 99%, or you could be dead in 5 minutes."
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Remember when all fats were evil?

I remember when the media and tabloid magazines and posters on the internet said fat was evil. I must of missed where studies showed that fat was evil.

I'm sorry if you feel this is negativity but "science is evolving" is not a get-out-of-jail-free card to basic physcial law. Starchy foods tend to promote water retention which can offset your fat losses in terms of your scale weight but they in absolutely no way shape or form somehow "promote" fat storage while under a caloric deficit. No study shows this and no study will ever show this because it makes zero sense.

How and why would your body under caloric deficit store fat and gain weight despite not recieving sufficient energy to do so. I can buy that maybe one person metabolizes starch carbohydrates better than another due to a difference in their microbiome but that doesn't magically convert 1200 calories into 2400 calories.

If your body actually was capable of deriving more calories from starch than there are calories in starch then we should hook you up to a battery and solve the worlds energy crisis because you are apparently a perpetual motion machine.

There is certainly truth to the idea that some people do better with certain types of foods while dieting than others due to differences in satiation and perhaps some small metabolic differences but not to the level of breaking physical law and perpetual motion.

Energy out will never exceed energy in, you cannot get more calorically from a starch than physically exists within that starch.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to read all the replies right now, so apologies if this is a repeat. Do you have any known issues with diabetes, insulin resistance, or PCOS? Those are some common issues that may make carbs more of a struggle. If you aren't sure, it may be worth a trip to the doctor to at least get your blood sugar checked.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Wow

I should clarify a little for me when I say carb I mean bread, pasta, rice, potato etc even whole wheat kinds

In no way shape or form am I suggesting that I can eat ANY amounts of fat and proteins and lose fat, what I am saying is I DO NOT loose weight if I eat the starchy carbs regardless of how low calorie I go. Not only have I done this in a controlled setting ( using scales, measuring cups and spoons ). I have also done controlled diets such as slim fast and nutrisystem and did not lose weight.

I know what works for me, and was looking to see if people had some similar experiences or further scientific information. So thanks for those that did or at least have an open mind that the general norm or perception may not hold true for everyone.

Not that I should even respond to the negativity but for the record in no way shape or form am I lazy or unable to measure or count calories.

We are not all the same and science is continually evolving. Think of some of the wrong advice we were given by medical professionals just 20-30 years ago. Remember when all fats were evil? Just trying to expand my knowledge and connect with like minded people.

Maybe it's genetic

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_145489.html
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options
    Wow

Then you need to contribute yourself to science for further research since your body defies the laws of physics.

A naturally high insulin level is not really a new thing. Sorry you don't understand basic laws of biology. Seeing as more insulin is produced more quickly from complex carbs (starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc) someone with a higher natural production of insulin, which varies somewhat like all chemicals/hormones from person to person, would have a much harder time losing weight while eating them. They may actually have naturally higher insulin level than you do, meaning complex carbs can ruin their diet.

Also, complex carbs break down and digest more slowly and are harder for the body to process. There's nothing stupid about wanting to avoid complex carbs for dieting and health. Before you make fun of people for defying the "laws of physics" maybe you should do some research, hmm?