• congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    mmm.. dark meat..
    craving turkey carnitas from Superior Grociers
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with chicken thighs, just make sure you are eating properly and not going over your calorie allowence and meeting your MACROS.

Personally, I hate dark meat and avoid them anyway, but that doesn't make them bad.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    High calorie=/= unhealthy
    Duh!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Just like eggs eat the whole bird. Ditch the skin and trim most of the fat though.
    NO.
    Ditch shells and feathers and bones. Not the skin nor the fat! That's the best part.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, I thought chicken thighs would be some what similar to chicken breasts in nutrition. Turns out for 200g, there are 452 calories! And that was only my first meal of the day.. it totaled to 850 calories!

whatever entry you're looking at must include the skin. According to USDA, 4 oz (112 grams) boneless/skinless chicken thigh is 184 calories...yes, more than 4 oz of chicken breast which is around 120 but IMHO, quite worth the difference. I love the skin too, but generally discard it due to the fact that it's just fat and extra calories at that point.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem, move along people...

1d38007b_tumblr_lh52r8FFry1qhwx3io1_500.gif
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I like the thighs. More for me.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I like the thighs. More for me.

Nah-uh, cause I'm gonna get em all before you get a chance!:smokin:
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs on the grill...my favorite meal!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    They're great for filling in leftover calories. I get boneless, skinless ones. Great for the grill, great for a crockpot as they don't dry out.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Covered in jerk sauce, served with butter soaked potatoes and roasted broccoli...

Wait, that was last night's dinner, but I could sooooooooooo eat it again right now!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, I thought chicken thighs would be some what similar to chicken breasts in nutrition. Turns out for 200g, there are 452 calories! And that was only my first meal of the day.. it totaled to 850 calories!

whatever entry you're looking at must include the skin. According to USDA, 4 oz (112 grams) boneless/skinless chicken thigh is 184 calories...yes, more than 4 oz of chicken breast which is around 120 but IMHO, quite worth the difference. I love the skin too, but generally discard it due to the fact that it's just fat and extra calories at that point.

Ditto! I rarely buy chicken breast anymore. Boneless skinless thighs have a tiny bit more calories and don't tend to dry out as easily. Yum!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Covered in jerk sauce, served with butter soaked potatoes and roasted broccoli...

Wait, that was last night's dinner, but I could sooooooooooo eat it again right now!

*drrroooooolllllzzzzz*
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Just like eggs eat the whole bird. Ditch the skin and trim most of the fat though.
    NO.
    Ditch shells and feathers and bones. Not the skin nor the fat! That's the best part.

I always thought the feathers were the best?! Have I been eating wrong? :grumble:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    thigh meat: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/735/2
    100g = 119 calories

breast meat: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/701/2
    100g = 110 calories

So, tell me again what this mystical issue is of which you speak?

Just an FYI on the true difference between dark and white meat:

White meat is white because of the chicken's chronic lack of exercise, something to think about next time you're about to curl up in front of the TV for another I Dream of Jeannie rerun. Dark meat, which avian myologists (bird muscle scientists) refer to as "red muscle," is used for sustained activity--chiefly walking, in the case of a chicken. The dark color comes from a chemical compound in the muscle called myoglobin, which plays a key role in oxygen transport. White muscle, in contrast, is suitable only for short, ineffectual bursts of activity such as, for chickens, flying. That's why the chicken's leg meat and thigh meat are dark and its breast meat (which makes up the primary flight muscles) is white. Other birds more capable in the flight department, such as ducks and geese, have red muscle (and dark meat) throughout.

From: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1295/why-is-white-meat-white-and-dark-meat-dark
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had slight shock too over the weekend, but I guess it's expected since I ate the skin too. When I have chicken breasts they are boneless and skinless and lower in fat and calories. But I was BBQ'ing with family and we were on a budget. 89 cents a pound sounded a lot better than $4.99 a pound for the breasts.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    100g = 119 calories

100g = 110 calories

White meat is white because of the chicken's chronic lack of exercise, something to think about next time you're about to curl up in front of the TV for another I Dream of Jeannie rerun. Dark meat, which avian myologists (bird muscle scientists) refer to as "red muscle," is used for sustained activity--chiefly walking, in the case of a chicken. The dark color comes from a chemical compound in the muscle called myoglobin, which plays a key role in oxygen transport. White muscle, in contrast, is suitable only for short, ineffectual bursts of activity such as, for chickens, flying. That's why the chicken's leg meat and thigh meat are dark and its breast meat (which makes up the primary flight muscles) is white. Other birds more capable in the flight department, such as ducks and geese, have red muscle (and dark meat) throughout.

From: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1295/why-is-white-meat-white-and-dark-meat-dark

That may explain why I like the whole duck but on the leg quarters of the chicken. Thank you!
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I can barely stand chicken breasts. I always eat thighs. A huge thigh would be 6 oz and only about 210 calories. I get 180 calories for the same amount of chicken breast (boneless, skinless, pre-cooked, btw). Really, you're worried about so few calories? Thighs are juicy and yummy with just a little salt and pepper. Can't say the same about chicken breast.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    100g = 119 calories

100g = 110 calories

That may explain why I like the whole duck but on the leg quarters of the chicken. Thank you!

I'm the same way. Dark meat has such a superior flavor, for me anyway. I guess we like the taste of higher concentrations of myoglobin.