Try to avoid chicken thigh...

Options

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Am I wrong in thinking that you seem a little angry? :indifferent:

There are no good or bad foods--it's all about making choices that fit in your calories and macros. You're making chicken thighs sound like a "bad" food, and they're not. That's all I'm getting at.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I just bought my husband some chicken thighs for his meals for the next few days. I'm quite jelly, as I'll be eating chicken breast. He gets the better end of the deal, for sure
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I just bought my husband some chicken thighs for his meals for the next few days. I'm quite jelly, as I'll be eating chicken breast. He gets the better end of the deal, for sure

I've always thought that chicken breasts were the best!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    MMmmm I love me some thighs and some breast *wink*

but seriously the darker more fatty meat is so moist, less expensive and more flavorful so you should eat less of it before you're satisfied anyway
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I stand firm, breasts are the best.

No pun intended.
  • be_AL
    be_AL Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lots of fat in chicken thighs... that's what makes them delicious! :D

Nutrition is dynamic. Calories in DO NOT equal calories out. Pay attention to your macros, and do research or consult a professional to help you design a nutritional plan that fits your needs and supports your exercise. I lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks on a HIGH protein HIGH fat diet. I also lost 10% body fat. The human body MUST have fat and MUST have protein to function.

Don't try to simplify nutrition to calories or you'll get frustration and beat yourself up over chicken. Chicken is full of protein, a little thigh fat is not going to kill you.

Eat what your body needs and not more. Be active. Mystery of fat loss solved!
  • be_AL
    be_AL Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OP is so right. Chicken thighs are too fatty and humans are not supposed to eat any fat

This is absolutely untrue. I hope no one acts in accordance with this misinformation.

Your organs and nervous system would cease to function without fat. The deadly effects of anorexia are heavily tied to the lack of fat in the diet particularly regarding visceral fat and myelination of the neurons.

What the body can do without is carbs. Carbs serve as a readily available energy source which fits societal pressures to have everything right now. Fats and protein provide a more stable release of energy however, and are the two macronutrients that are REQUIRED TO LIVE.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    That's right. Chicken thighs are better.
    this. they are so good and for someone like me who cant cook they pretty hard to screw up and pretty much always moist and tasty. chicken breast on the other hand....
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    They're great for filling in leftover calories. I get boneless, skinless ones. Great for the grill, great for a crockpot as they don't dry out.
    ^^This. I usually only cook them 1-4 times a month, but when I do, I'll knock back 1-2#/day (like earlier this month). Cholesterol has never been an issue with me, but sometimes I'll "cut" thighs 50-50 with b/s breast. Still tastes great, especially in a stir-fry.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    OP is so right. Chicken thighs are too fatty and humans are not supposed to eat any fat

This is absolutely untrue. I hope no one acts in accordance with this misinformation.

Your organs and nervous system would cease to function without fat. The deadly effects of anorexia are heavily tied to the lack of fat in the diet particularly regarding visceral fat and myelination of the neurons.

What the body can do without is carbs. Carbs serve as a readily available energy source which fits societal pressures to have everything right now. Fats and protein provide a more stable release of energy however, and are the two macronutrients that are REQUIRED TO LIVE.

the human body runs a lot better with carbs though. That's important for everyone who exercises, which should be everyone*, because exercise is essential for health. Trying to do an intense workout without carbs in your system is torture and what you'll achieve will be a lot less (lower amounts of weight, slower run times) and also, the overall calorie burn for a workout will be higher with carbs... because you get so much more work done in the same time. (in the physics sense of "work done") - I wouldn't recommend a carb free diet to anyone, nor a sedentary lifestyle (although sedentary people don't need much carbohydrate... it's better for their health to do exercise/physical activity and then eat the appropriate amount of carbohydrate to fuel it)

Also I think the post you replied to was someone being sarcastic. But it's cool that you replied because fat is an essential nutrient and has been demonised for so long.

*certain medical conditions excepted.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I stand firm, breasts are the best.

No pun intended.

I like all parts of the chicken. In fact my main thought when reading this threads is "why not eat the whole chicken?"

(that would take care of my protein goal for the day :p and a fair amount of the fat... probably would have to break it down into separate meals)
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I buy tenderloins often because I like to cut them up, saute them, and add them to pasta or just serve them as bite-sized pieces... but this post reminds me that I haven't had my Dad's fried chicken in years. The thighs were my favorite pieces. I might ought to call him up and ask if he would do dinner for me soon.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fresh boneless/skinless thighs I buy for cooking, I also keep these in my freezer for quick meals. 17g protein, 140 cals, and they're ready in the microwave in 3 minutes. Great on a sandwich or shredded on a salad.

0002370003526_500X500.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Aside from the fresh boneless/skinless thighs I buy for cooking, I also keep these in my freezer for quick meals. 17g protein, 140 cals, and they're ready in the microwave in 3 minutes. Great on a sandwich or shredded on a salad.

OMG I need more high protein quick to prepare snacks like these.... do they sell them in the UK? (not much hope of them being on sale in Bahrain but I'm moving back soon.....)
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dark mark cooks much better since it doesn't get so dry like white meat. Unfortunately it's also rather calorie dense. 200g of boiled plain chicken thigh meat isn't very much to eat and packs nearly 500 cal!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dark mark cooks much better since it doesn't get so dry like white meat. Unfortunately it's also rather calorie dense. 200g of boiled plain chicken thigh meat isn't very much to eat and packs nearly 500 cal!

I think you're mistaken. Or else you're looking at thighs which have the skin and bone. Boneless, skinless is very tasty and moist, and not nearly as many calories. See the bag above...3 oz. portions are 140 cals, and that's with a sweet terriyaki sauce. In looking through MFP at the various brands, most come in at 130-150 cals for a 4 oz. portion.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of fat in chicken thighs... that's what makes them delicious! :D

Nutrition is dynamic. Calories in DO NOT equal calories out. Pay attention to your macros, and do research or consult a professional to help you design a nutritional plan that fits your needs and supports your exercise. I lost 25 pounds in 5 weeks on a HIGH protein HIGH fat diet. I also lost 10% body fat. The human body MUST have fat and MUST have protein to function.

Don't try to simplify nutrition to calories or you'll get frustration and beat yourself up over chicken. Chicken is full of protein, a little thigh fat is not going to kill you.

Eat what your body needs and not more. Be active. Mystery of fat loss solved!
    That is so true. And that is what someone wants us to be unaware of. Follow the money.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

OMG I need more high protein quick to prepare snacks like these.... do they sell them in the UK? (not much hope of them being on sale in Bahrain but I'm moving back soon.....)

OOh, so going to look for these!

Also, I really don't like chicken breast very much, I only eat when I have to. I love me some chicken thighs though, not a bit of intention of giving those up.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thighs are way yummier.