Fat Chick Works Out

Options

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Very, very judgmental people here.
    No there are some very realistic people. Rubbish like this aimed at those who are capable of so much more and just making excuses just p****** me off. Just because your fat doesn't mean you have a disability. My wife is disabled and had been totally bedbound for 5 years. She is stuck in a Hospital bed in our Bedroom 24 hours a day. Imagine that a 28 year old unable to life her arm or head on most days. Unable to go to the toilet with out aid and enormous pain. To her exercise is lifting an arm or eating her dinner unaided. She would give the world to be able to do what a lot of people who are making excuses have the opportunity to do. Everytime I go for run I think about how lucky I am to be able to do that when many people cannot.

This program is just another way for people to make excuses to not do anything. I've made those excuses but this is just encouraging. People should just thank there lucky stars that they are in a situation where they can do something about there health and stop looking for an easy way out. It takes work commitment you got yourself into the situation there is a way out but you have to actually do something.

There are great events out there that benefit people with disabilities. I personally LOVE bike MS. MS scares the **** out of me and I love seeing people with MS at the event. It reminds me that I have been squandering a gift and so so so many people would kill to be just fat like me if it meant they could move again. Now I am even more angry about reading about your wife and thinking about that stupid video. Stop making excuses, there are people out there that actually have disabilities. You don't have to work out to loose weight, but don't promote a non workout.
  • thatsrontoyou
    thatsrontoyou Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Walking is a great work out...it does many things for you. Getting in shape is just one of the benefits.

**** the haters!!!
  • thatsrontoyou
    thatsrontoyou Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is easier said than done for some of us...........so maybe we all should remember everyone is different AND some people don't handle certain things well...........
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Did not watch the video, just the poster makes me cringe.... Fat chick workout??? It a joke, right??? Guess what, being a '''fat chick'''' myself, I CAN run, spin, lift weights, etc! Whoa, what a concept, not all '''''''fatties'''''''' being inadequate at exercising!!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    OP I have to say every time you post it's just another excuse or easy way out or another way to try and make this more difficult than it is to begin with. You've got more excuses than my kids had for why they didn't clean their rooms when they were younger. So please stop trying to find the easy way and either put in the work to make a change, eat at a reasonable deficit, stop thinking carbs are the damn devil and get on with it or wait until you are ready. But make a damn choice and do it
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My last post on this. It's just excuses to me it's in the same league as something like Atkins. Atkins was created for people who were too lazy to actually change their life. They just wanted an easy way out and continue eating exactly the same way they were before to convince themselves they hadn't been doing anything wrong to get that way. So it just played into that. Atkins was a genius in that he realised that the way to make money was to tell people they could continue to do what they'd always done and still get healthy. Like any other fad diet it's just people trying to find an easy quick way out or just look for excuses.

We've all made excuses but there are no quick easy fixes. If you want to do it you will. People need to stop trying to find shortcuts and excuses not to do what they need to do. As long as they do the diet industry and marketing men will happily fleece them of as much money as they can get.

It's not Brain surgery eat a balanced diet and move some more. That's it

So do the work or don't do the work but stop with all the excuses and short cuts
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Yes, we feel the same about Fox here in the US. Nobody with a brain is a republican.
    I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, so I don't mean to be offensive... but in the UK clips of 'Fox news' are only shown for comedy purposes, not as a legitimate foreign news source... (same kind of comedy thing as Sarah Palin clips...)

And basically they don't want to lose weight or face up to their heath issues, so if you do it shouldn't be relevant for you.

Is the thread for the 1 person I would like to punch still going I think I made my pick
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Look can we just get to the part where someone makes a meme out of the lady on the dvd cover already, I mean her pose is just crying out for it :laugh:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you say that it is for people who don't want to sweat. Instead of watching the video I went to her website where it pretty much says that she works up a sweat and has fun doing it. It's advertised as a exercise program for those that are hesitant or scared to start an exercise routine. I don't see anything wrong with that since we all have to start somewhere.

It would have been nice if you would have done a little Googling before posting one video of what you think it is.

When it comes to her views on weight, those I definitely do not agree with.
  • anabarbarosie
    anabarbarosie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    there is a reason this world isn't "made for fat people"....fat people are a product of an unhealthy society and really shouldn't exist in the first place

A bit too harsh said, but I agree. If everyone would eat the way we were meant to eat (no processed foods and sugar-with-a-little-something beverages) and have a fairly active lifestyle (not sitting in front of the PC/TV all day), there would be no obesity and fat-related diseases :flowerforyou:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    there is a reason this world isn't "made for fat people"....fat people are a product of an unhealthy society and really shouldn't exist in the first place

A bit too harsh said, but I agree. If everyone would eat the way we were meant to eat (no processed foods and sugar-with-a-little-something beverages) and have a fairly active lifestyle (not sitting in front of the PC/TV all day), there would be no obesity and fat-related diseases :flowerforyou:

Well yes, or course. Let's talk about who shouldn't exist. That has worked out just splendidly in the past
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    My last post on this. It's just excuses to me it's in the same league as something like Atkins. Atkins was created for people who were too lazy to actually change their life. They just wanted an easy way out and continue eating exactly the same way they were before to convince themselves they hadn't been doing anything wrong to get that way. So it just played into that. Atkins was a genius in that he realised that the way to make money was to tell people they could continue to do what they'd always done and still get healthy. Like any other fad diet it's just people trying to find an easy quick way out or just look for excuses.

We've all made excuses but there are no quick easy fixes. If you want to do it you will. People need to stop trying to find shortcuts and excuses not to do what they need to do. As long as they do the diet industry and marketing men will happily fleece them of as much money as they can get.

It's not Brain surgery eat a balanced diet and move some more. That's it

So do the work or don't do the work but stop with all the excuses and short cuts

Isn't Atkins a restrictive diet that was marketed to people who were ready to change their lives?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    From her website:

"The concept of the program is simple. Start at your current fitness level and increase your workout level a little bit each week. Don’t worry about what level you think you SHOULD be exercising. Enjoy and celebrate the fact that you ARE exercising."

Sounds like a good way to get a very out of shape person up and moving to me.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well honestly guys this video is bull****. There is no way people THAT fat aren't impacting their health in a pretty big way. HOWEVER!!! I absolutely am a proponent of the idea that the concept of being healthy does not involve being under 15% body fat and having 6 pack abs or whatever bull**** standard society wants to set for you. I will tell you that as someone who was very fat (40%+ body fat starting out) Society has rebounded onto fat people. Fat people always got some ribbing, name calling and discrimination. But because we are now not allowed to hate on different races or classes all the *kitten* of our society who don't want to think they are *kitten* now hate on fat people. And you only have to be a little fat to qualify. The standard is also bull****. I am still at about 27-28% body-fat and there are skinny people at the gym who WISH they where as fit and healthy as me. And that's a fact. It's true I still want to lose more weight. But if it ever get's to the point where I have to do unhealthy or unsustainable crap to keep dropping weight I am going to accept where I am. I won't ruin my health for other peoples expectations. So yes I am a big supporter of what HAES stands for. But there ARE limits and these two chicks in that video are over them. Showing an extreme video like this does nothing to undermine the notion that being a bit fat isn't really as unhealthy as everyone says it is.

That being said perhaps this video does have some place among the morbidly obese. I know when i was at my heaviest and unfit just moving around sometimes got me breaking out in a sweat. So perhaps there is room for a super low impact exercise regime. However the fact that these girls describe themselves as healthy is truly ludicrous. They are not healthy.

I think the HAES movement looks at markers like blood pressure, blood sugar, ability to sleep comfortably etc to define health. And if you're fat and unhealthy, they actually recommend things like exercise and working with fat friendly doctors to get there. Basically if a doctor can't offer solutions at the current weight short of lose weight, it's time to move on.

Actually, they were where I first heard of the "only 5% of people who lose weight keep it off permanently" statistic. Assuming those numbers are true, which is something you wouldn't want to go broadcasting on a forum like MFP, the HAES movement makes sense to me as an alternative solution, at the very least a temporary one. For example, if you're not so damn desperate to lose weight, maybe you'd wait for a solution that makes sense rather than every ****ty new fad that rolls out. Some people have the opposite view point, which is try everything at all cost to lose weight. They lose sight of what the process itself is doing to their body because having a smaller number on the scale is valued above all no matter the cost

I agree with you. I did have weight loss as a long, long term goal, but HAES got me into intuitive eating and exercise, despite my high starting weight. Trying not to detest myself and cutting myself some slack has helped my weight loss, not hindered it.

I have plenty more weight to lose, but I just roll my eyes at these unsustainable cleanses and faddy diets that are shilled by quacks, fraudsters and the very corporations that make the junk food in the first place. And it's all based on body shame and desparation.

Hating myself enough to take up a brocolli and gooseberry cleanse doesn't help in the long run, even if I help the trees to grow with my increased carbon dioxide output as a result of spouting sanctimonious guff whilst on the diet. I'll only end up fatter in the long run.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's the same in the US, so I don't mean to be offensive... but in the UK clips of 'Fox news' are only shown for comedy purposes, not as a legitimate foreign news source... (same kind of comedy thing as Sarah Palin clips...)

And basically they don't want to lose weight or face up to their heath issues, so if you do it shouldn't be relevant for you.
    No offense taken because fox news really is hilarious and filled with wtf did I just watch. in the US there is Fox News, which is a cable news channel known by many as Faux News, and then we have Fox affiliates which air Fox tv programing, which is TV shows like The Simpsons, Bones, 24, The Following, in various regions. Affiliates often have their own local news programming focused on the area they are in. That looks like it was a Fox affiliate in LA that has it's own morning show.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood the fat acceptance thing. To me if you love yourself then you want to keep yourself in good health. Obesity is not good for ones health because eventually it catches up to everyone in some form or another. even losing just 10% can make a big difference towards someone's overall health.
    If this workout helps someone get started toward better health then it's a good thing.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I used to have her book. I bought it when I was fat, and it was VERY encouraging about exercising WHILE fat, instead of waiting for weight loss. I believe she is absolutely right that it's worth getting fit and active for its own sake rather than for weight loss. My only criticism was that I didn't feel she put enough emphasis on strength training, something which is beneficial and is not usually restricted by weight as much as some types of exercise.

Fat acceptance/HAES actually helped me lose weight, if anything, even though that sounds odd. I accepted my fat body, wanted to look after it, started exercising more and realised that exercise would be easier if I lost a bit of weight. And yes, it gave me time to look for a diet that I thought I could maintain. I'm no longer a "fat chick", so have given the book away, but I'd recommend the approach.