Phone Usage in the gym

Options

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    As someone who uses their phone in the gym, I have gotten the glares before. The reason I use my phone, is that I'm tracking my reps and weights. Not everyone is dilly-dallying.

I've heard a lot of people say this. I don't get it. You can't track your reps and weights after you are done working out on that specific machine? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can remember how many reps at what weight I just did long enough to wait to log it when I'm done.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    As someone who uses their phone in the gym, I have gotten the glares before. The reason I use my phone, is that I'm tracking my reps and weights. Not everyone is dilly-dallying.

I've heard a lot of people say this. I don't get it. You can't track your reps and weights after you are done working out on that specific machine? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I can remember how many reps at what weight I just did long enough to wait to log it when I'm done.

If you are resting between sets, it only makes since to log what you are doing at the time. Why for the life of me do people care what other people do at the gym?
    Ask to work in or wait and stfu.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Its more for convince. Depending on the app (stronglifts for example) you just hit the button and it enters how many reps and starts and automatic rest timer for you with one press of a button, then tells you when 90 seconds have passed. It would be the same thing if I sat there staring at my watch.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I log my lifting stats on my phone.

Not everyone you see is texting.
  • shadyj26
    shadyj26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Once again this is not about people logging there workouts. It's those ones that like to do all that texting instead of working out. Sometimes you do not have a choice but to notice them. I don't have to time to be watching other people in the gym.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Once again this is not about people logging there workouts. It's those ones that like to do all that texting instead of working out. Sometimes you do not have a choice but to notice them. I don't have to time to be watching other people in the gym.

How do you know what they're doing? You should be worried about one person...YOU
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I have my phone in the gym. I'm not calling anyone. I'm not texting anyone. I'm not listening to music. I'm not tracking anything. I just periodically take it out and stare at it just to piss off the controlling **** heads.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have my phone in the gym. I'm not calling anyone. I'm not texting anyone. I'm not listening to music. I'm not tracking anything. I just periodically take it out and stare at it just to piss off the controlling **** heads.

I like you. A lot. :drinker:
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    god I hate it.....says right ont he wall no phones and people are on them talking all the time
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Couldn't care less. How someone spends the time they are not actively using a piece of equipment bothers me a lot less than the length of time they are doing it.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options

How do you know what they're doing? You should be worried about one person...YOU

Yup! This right here. You're missing the point OP. You've clearly identified as "tracking workouts" with your phone acceptable. Who are you to identify what is acceptable and what is not acceptable while someone is resting in between sets? What moral authority do you have to identify any certain activity being deemed yay or nay while people are resting in between sets? You are there to workout. You are NOT there to police other people while they're resting between their sets.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There's no problem at all when someone is tracking their workout b/w each set. It's the ones that sit there for 5 or 10 minutes doing nothing.
    And you are better for wasting 5-10 minutes notating the fact they are doing nothing?

Move on to something else then come back.
    I never wait and don't have time to wait. I always move on to something esle. I also like to get in there and get out so I can spend time with my family each day.

That's understandable. That's why I go at 5am. Very few people on phones to bother me.
  • bloodyhonest
    bloodyhonest Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    th?id=HN.608050387283477279&pid=15.1&P=0

I do this in elevators, and of course when I am around people I don't like.
  • hbrittingham
    Options

Its more for convince. Depending on the app (stronglifts for example) you just hit the button and it enters how many reps and starts and automatic rest timer for you with one press of a button, then tells you when 90 seconds have passed. It would be the same thing if I sat there staring at my watch.

That makes sense. I guess I'm not that stringent on my rest time, but I am not following any specific program, either. I just rest for 60-90 seconds, tapping my foot to my music on my mp3 player until I am ready to do my next set. LOL
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do kind of wonder why people are going to the gym just to hang out on their phones, but really, their workout is none of my business.

What I do get pissed off about are the people who sit on the only machine of its kind in the gym texting while there is a line up for it. Yes, some people are logging their reps. But usually people who are actually logging their reps are breaking a sweat and not giggling the whole time.

The people at the gym who are sitting there texting instead of working out tend to be the ones who also whine that they're not losing weight and their workouts are *so* ineffective and that really annoys me.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    do people not understand resting between sets? why most i sit there staring at the wall when i can utilize my phone between sets to pass the time.
  • hbrittingham
    Options
    I wonder what people did while resting between sets before cell phones. They must have been so bored!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I wonder what people did while resting between sets before cell phones. They must have been so bored!

i was. sometimes id people watch, play with my discman (yes lol discman), let my mind wander
  • shadyj26
    shadyj26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

I only worry about me but I do get tired of having to change up my workout b/c someone is laughing at their phone when I need to use that piece of equipment.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    i defo use my phone a bunch in the gym - usually responding to texts - but ill always let someone work in - Generally on a low rep high weight day i need the recovery time