Phone Usage in the gym

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I log my reps and use the stronglifts app as well as the timer on it. Why shouldn't I use my phone during my 90/300 second rest?

I think you'll find it's using my time efficiently.

I also video some sets and then watch them back during my rests, should I not watch them back?

And yes - I do this stood in the squat rack / sat on the bench. If you want to work in fine, ask, but you better finish your set within my rest break.

As long as people aren't sat for 15 minutes refusing to move if you ask to work in - it's none of you're business what they do at the gym. If you don't want to ask to work in then don't moan.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate? Those people who hover and make whining or grunting noises or who glare at other people using a piece of equipment. They don't politely ask to work it, but are passive-aggressive and entitled. People don't have a clue how to share, and anyone else in the gym who dares use a piece of equipment before them is in their way or somehow being rude. One minute rests are exaggerated as 5 minute rests by the person who hates waiting his turn.

I see that way more than people taking longer than average rest periods.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    You know what I hate? Those people who hover and make whining or grunting noises or who glare at other people using a piece of equipment. They don't politely ask to work it, but are passive-aggressive and entitled. People don't have a clue how to share, and anyone else in the gym who dares use a piece of equipment before them is in their way or somehow being rude. One minute rests are exaggerated as 5 minute rests by the person who hates waiting his turn.

Boom! :drinker:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I can see many people on this topic (including myself) use their phone to log their stats, which to me isn't a problem. If someone wants to use the equipment in between sets I have no problem with it, they just have to bother asking.

I shouldn't have to ask. When I'm in the gym, obviously I mean business. People should be able to see that on my scowling face and immediately part like the Red Sea at the hand of Moses when I approach the equipment. And god help the first lollygagger who laughs at his phone during his own rest periods. You should be too tired to laugh, you lazy *kitten*! Either ask me for form advice, lift something or get the hell off my....hold on *stops to pay the same amount as everyone else to use the gym*....*takes receipt* *says thank you* .....HALLOWED GROUND!!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I see that too, but the grunting and glares are usually directed at people using equipment improperly. Squat racks are not there for people to set up a bar to do curls/shrugs and leave it there for 10 minutes unattended while they do a circuit.

That bothers me. I don't care about phones, just the entitled people who think they can do that kind of stuff, especially when there is no where else to squat.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I see that too, but the grunting and glares are usually directed at people using equipment improperly. Squat racks are not there for people to set up a bar to do curls/shrugs and leave it there for 10 minutes unattended while they do a circuit.

That bothers me. I don't care about phones, just the entitled people who think they can do that kind of stuff, especially when there is no where else to squat.

If I'm in the squat rack and you want to use it, come ask to work in. Nine times out of ten, I'll say "yes," or just tell you I have one more set left. I'll also be tapping away on my phone between sets, walking over and filling my water bottle, or any number of things to spend the 2 to 5 minutes between sets. If you're passive aggressive though, I'll gladly take longer.
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I use my phone at the gym for two reasons.... 1. track my work out 2. keep in contact with my daughter. She's old enough to be left alone either at home or with friends but since I'm the meanest mom on the planet and won't give her a cell phone, we need to communicate through email (usually at the library) or texts (she borrows her friends' phones - again, I'm the meanest mom in the world) so she knows when I'll be home or when I'll pick her up (and so she can bug me about what's for dinner :)). I've learned to tune out everyone at the gym (my self consciousness would kill any and all motivation if I didn't) so I don't know if I get the stares and I really don't care if I do.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    935542_521055951264982_1276620560_n.png
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't really care what others are doing with their gym time. If they are "using" something I need I just ask how many more sets or if I can work in. Big deal. They can just stay fat.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hi, bumping this thread because I've been noticing something really common in my gym. I too use my phone to log workouts and I watch videos when I'm on a cardio machine(elliptical and treadmill). It helps me not think about running.

The thing I have been noticing in my gym is people using the cardio machines and talking on their phones. I see people all the time answering phone calls and having 20 minute conversations while still using the machine. It's not that they are taking up space on a machine; There are usually free ones when I go. It bothers me that I can hear them over my headphones. I don't want to hear your conversation but I can't help but listen. IMO it's inconsiderate and if you want to talk, get off the machine and step away so you aren't disturbing others.

I don't understand how people don't care about others hearing their conversations. I don't have anything to hide but I don't want others to hear my phone conversations. But it's mostly just annoying to have to hear some person yelling into their phone when I'm trying to work out. Not to mention they are only hurting themselves because their focus moves from working out to the phone. They always slow down and move in irregular rhythm which is not helping themselves. Doesn't affect me, but I do notice it.

Sorry, that was way longer than I planned on. Does this happen in anyone else's gym?

TL;DR - People in my gym are constantly talking on the phone right next to me. Anyone else?

THIS right here is what hacks me off like you wouldn't believe. It happens to me constantly in the women's section of my gym when I'm doing my own cardio. I am not a runner, but I'm trying to be. So I *hate* the idea of someone on the other end of the phone hearing me thud and huff and puff and die as I try to plod through my 2 miles. Especially when they are disruptive and I can hear their conversation through my earbuds, which believe me, is no easy feat with as loud as I listen to them to drown out the sound of the gym.

I use my phone a lot in the gym, but it's in airplane mode with Bluetooth enabled. I record my workouts, swap through music, and whatever else. And with a Lumia 1520, it's quite obvious when I'm on it, because it's big & bright, and the largest storage space of any phone available (I have 96GB), it's got almost my entire music collection on it. And yeah, I do make notes in OneNote and use the timers and everything else on it.

However, I do my damndest to not annoy anyone else with my antics... except maybe my pacing. I can't sit still. :P
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There's no problem at all when someone is tracking their workout b/w each set. It's the ones that sit there for 5 or 10 minutes doing nothing.

you have no idea if they are truly doing "nothing". When I do heavy sets- my rests are upwards of 5 minutes- longer if I'm doing 90% or more of my 1 rmp.

deal with it- as long as no one is holding you up- it's none of your business.

The only time phone usage bothers me is if someone is talking loudly- or consistently on the phone. that bothers me- it bothers me anywhere I go- I don't want to hear about your conversation. If I can hear you over my music and I keep thinking you're trying to talk to me- it bothers me.

otherwise- I don't GAF.
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Once again people are blowing this way out of proportion & acting as if someone is trying to "Control" what you do at the gym or that they are "In your business". It all boils down to just being considerate of the people around you. What is so hard about that?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Once again people are blowing this way out of proportion & acting as if someone is trying to "Control" what you do at the gym or that they are "In your business". It all boils down to just being considerate of the people around you. What is so hard about that?

This is what the op said
    What do you think about the people that spend more time messing with their phone instead of working out?

How is using your phone between sets being inconsiderate?

If you think someone is hogging the equipment ask to work in - otherwise stop whining. What is so hard about that?
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Not blowing it out of proportion, just pointing out that the OP is in fact, in people's business. My business when I go to the gym is doing my lifts, logging them on my phone, and also messing around on Facebook/MFP or texting if I have some rest time left. If the OP happened to walk by and see me after I logged and am now playing around on Facebook, is he going to get pissed at me for wasting time?

the chance that OP and I would ever go to the same gym and into each other are very slim, and he's obviously not attacking me or my phone usage habits personally. The point of all of these responses is to show that you really have no idea what anyone else is doing on their phone at the gym, so MYOB and do your workout. People work in with each other all the time-if someone is sitting on a machine you want to use, resting or texting or whatever, instead of getting pissed about it or coming to MFP and posting, do something about it and ask to work in!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Because you know exactly what someone is doing on their phone between sets... yeah.. ok.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Yeah, I agree, we should all be considerate, but how are we meant to know that someone else is waiting for the equipment if they don't ask? Often you see people lurking around, but if I'm working out, there is no way I'm going out of my own way to ask them if they want to use the equipment... If they're not confident to walk up to me and ask to fit in between my sets, or ask how many sets I have left, then to be honest, that is their problem, not mine...

How often does somebody say "no" when you ask if you can join in? It's pretty rare... but if you're joining in with someone, don't **** about with the weights they've set up as that can be an annoyance. The only time people tend to say no is if they only have 1 set left anyway, so you just wait a minute or so, it's really not a big deal...

Just because somebody is sitting on their phone doesn't mean they're equipment hogging, what would they be doing otherwise? sitting on it anyway? standing next to the equipment anyway?
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I take planned breaks in between my sets. What difference does it make to you if I'm staring into space, logging my workout, or answering a text on my phone? Either way I'm getting off the machine in the same amount of time. If you want to work in, just ask. No need to get butthurt
  • DJ7203
    Options

Because you know exactly what someone is doing on their phone between sets... yeah.. ok.

I didn't claim to know exactly what people are doing. I just said let's all be considerate. Sorry if that offends anyone lol! I'll try to really not be considerate from now on :noway:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I didn't claim to know exactly what people are doing. I just said let's all be considerate. Sorry if that offends anyone lol! I'll try to really not be considerate from now on :noway:

IMHO, being considerate would include minding your own business and speaking up in a polite manner when you want to use occupied equipment. It would not include silly rants about what other people are doing in the gym.
  • DJ7203
    Options

This is what the op said
    What do you think about the people that spend more time messing with their phone instead of working out?

How is using your phone between sets being inconsiderate?

If you think someone is hogging the equipment ask to work in - otherwise stop whining. What is so hard about that?

Um yeah, not speaking for OP. But I did say that's what I do. I ask how many sets they have left.