Phone Usage in the gym

Options

Replies

• DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Once again this is not about people logging there workouts. It's those ones that like to do all that texting instead of working out. Sometimes you do not have a choice but to notice them. I don't have to time to be watching other people in the gym.

How do you know what they're doing? You should be worried about one person...YOU
    I only worry about me but I do get tired of having to change up my workout b/c someone is laughing at their phone when I need to use that piece of equipment.

I totally get what you are saying. But people want to interpret it their own way so they have a reason to attack you. You aren't trying to control what people do at the gym, you just don't appreciate when people are on their phones clearly BSing while they are holding up a machine & everyone else that wants to use it.
  • DJ7203
    Options
    I have my phone in the gym. I'm not calling anyone. I'm not texting anyone. I'm not listening to music. I'm not tracking anything. I just periodically take it out and stare at it just to piss off the controlling **** heads.

Yeah you totally missed the point........:yawn:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    As someone who uses their phone in the gym, I have gotten the glares before. The reason I use my phone, is that I'm tracking my reps and weights. Not everyone is dilly-dallying.

^ This. I track my workouts and take a couple of minutes or so between sets, particularly on primary lifts. Mind your own business
  • DJ7203
    Options
    So glad that when I have a client, I just tell them to put their phone away...................just for an hour. I don't care if they keep it on them in case of an emergency call, but no texting, calling, youtubing, etc. while it's work out time. Also at my gym, there's no voice conversation of phone calls allowed on the floor. You either go to the outside landing upstairs, or down stairs to the lobby. Signs are posted about it, so it's not a rule that gets broken often.
    Personally myself, I stow mine in my drawer at work when I work out. No real need for it. If an emergency comes up, I can easily be reached at my work number as easily as my cell number.
    I get using the phone as a tracker for workouts. But I also do get when people get distracted by their phones and disregard when people are waiting in line for the equipment they may be using.
    If people use proper gym etiquette, it shouldn't be an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

They need to enforce this at more gyms.
  • DJ7203
    Options
    As someone who uses their phone in the gym, I have gotten the glares before. The reason I use my phone, is that I'm tracking my reps and weights. Not everyone is dilly-dallying.

^ This. I track my workouts and take a couple of minutes or so between sets, particularly on primary lifts. Mind your own business

Everyone is missing the point. He doesn't care if people use their phones, he get annoyed when people hold up machines while other people wait for them & I don't blame him. People always feel like they have to *Fight for their rights* & get all "You can't tell me what to do so there!" on posts like this & they just miss the point totally.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Everyone is missing the point. He doesn't care if people use their phones, he get annoyed when people hold up machines while other people wait for them & I don't blame him. People always feel like they have to *fight for their rights* on posts like this & they just miss the point totally.

It doesn't really matter what the OP thinks though. People are minding their own business and it offends him? Ask to work in or go away. Some people's obsessions with others never ceases to amaze me.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I use it to follow a workout and listen to music. Unless I'm calling someone, don't judge me. You're more at fault for giving a damn about someone else instead of focusing on your own workout.
  • DJ7203
    Options

Everyone is missing the point. He doesn't care if people use their phones, he get annoyed when people hold up machines while other people wait for them & I don't blame him. People always feel like they have to *fight for their rights* on posts like this & they just miss the point totally.

It doesn't really matter what the OP thinks though. People are minding their own business and it offends him? Ask to work in or go away. Some people's obsessions with others never ceases to amaze me.

I don't see where he is obsessed with others. Just doesn't want to be inconvenienced & waste his time. That's what I get from his post. But maybe I'm wrong. Ah well, leg day calls & I'm of to the gym myself.....
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually don't care because if they are there texting, they most likely are not serious enough about their work out to be holding up the squat rack, power rack or leg press. Chances are they are some curl-bro doing chest and biceps for the 3rd day in a row, they can sit on the flat bench all day, it is the least of my concerns. The only person suffering is them self, if you want to drag out your work out for 2 hours and be super catabolic while only getting in 4 exercises at 3 sets of 6, go for it.

But I do see the OP's point, not only are they wasting their time, they are wasting your time, and for someone to be so inconsiderate as to use everyone else's time for their own use, this planet has no place for them in my opinion. You should always be aware of those around you and respect their time as if it were your own. Entering your work out data in between sets while you rest is one thing, but texting to the extent where you are taking up equipment longer than you normally would with standard rest periods and holding up others is flat out disrespectful.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    At the gym, I use my phone for music, tracking my workout, and taking pictures of people who spend most of their workout glaring at me for being on my phone, so I can shame them for wasting gym time, later. Where do you lift at, bro? Need a spot?

*wipes the camera lens*
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don`t even take my phone into the gym. I use to have issues at my old much larger gym with people hogging up the area`s I wanted to use and not wanting to let me work in while they played , text or logged drove me crazy as a mom of 2 and my hubby`s work schedual its hectic to find time to work out let alone have that time wasted. I Now am a member of a much smaller more private gym and while I still see a few random phone users most everyone lets you work in when needed at this gym ( more friendly and everyone knows everyone ) Plus I`m like one of 3 girls that actually lift so the guys seem to just let us do our thing lol. Now my only real issue is when people do not put there plates away ugh but that is a whole other toppic
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Threads like these make me grateful for my home gym.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    My time, my workout, I will do as I wish.

If you want to work in, fine with me.

I will use my phone as I wish......I ain't bothering you, so don't bother me.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The only people who bother me are the ones who carry on loud private conversations on their phones while ostensibly working out. But the same is true of people who shout conversations with the person on the next treadmill. If I can hear you plainly over top of the music in my earbuds, you're just too loud.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Most people are texting! I agree with the op... If you're not logging reps in your apps or what not... Put the phone away.. It's just plain rude.. I'm so sick of everyone entitlement these days.. Think about something other than yourselves.. Man, ten years ago we didn't have these annoying habits...

Are you paying their gym membership??
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    How about if you don't worry about what other people are doing in the gym? I've had people when I'm recording my activity ask me if I'm almost done with whatever apparatus I'm using (politely), and I'll happily tell them when they can have the machine. You don't need to speculate about what I'm doing with my time. If I'm in your way and you'd like my machine, ask me when I'll be finished so you don't have to stand there and get pissed off about nothing.

:flowerforyou:
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Most people are texting! I agree with the op... If you're not logging reps in your apps or what not... Put the phone away.. It's just plain rude.. I'm so sick of everyone entitlement these days.. Think about something other than yourselves.. Man, ten years ago we didn't have these annoying habits...

Are you paying their gym membership??

This ^^
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    The reason I use my phone, is that I'm tracking my reps and weights. Entering in various other data, resetting timers/counters. Checking stats. AND dilly dallying in between sets.

Its the people who answer calls on there phone while on equipment that kills me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Once again this is not about people logging there workouts. It's those ones that like to do all that texting instead of working out. Sometimes you do not have a choice but to notice them. I don't have to time to be watching other people in the gym.

How do you know what they're doing? You should be worried about one person...YOU
    I only worry about me but I do get tired of having to change up my workout b/c someone is laughing at their phone when I need to use that piece of equipment.

If they are resting between sets they shouldn't laugh. Got it. :huh:
    Depending on the rest time and weights on bar a lot of people trade off on equipement.

Maybe you can talk to people? I hear that works too.

I use a phone - I track with it. Eventually one or two texts might be sent out any week (it's rare) or I've got a science article with me on the ipad. Heck, I've even posted on MFP.
    What I do with my rest time between sets is my business - if you want to use the equipment, I'm usually gald to share. Just ask.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I can see many people on this topic (including myself) use their phone to log their stats, which to me isn't a problem. If someone wants to use the equipment in between sets I have no problem with it, they just have to bother asking.