8 Drinks! Are You Kidding Me???

Options

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much, it might be a good idea to ask yourself why.

This^^

^^ And one more of this...

To me, it seems disturbing, how many people are defending those 8+ servings of drinks... Looking at this as an average over the course of maybe one year, if I would have one glass per day, that would be a lot of booze... Even worse, if I would find out that I 'HAVE TO HAVE' one a day to make it through, or engage in a lengthy debate to JUSTIFY my average number of drinks......THAT is a problem in my book...
    Just my 1.5 oz on the topic....
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    and yet they suggest 1 glass of wine a day is good for you. Thats like teetering on the edge there! OH NO! lol

Exactly. It seems as if the US is into trying to scaremonger moderate drinking. We have such a weird attitude about alcohol. I think the attitude in the UK is much more reasonable.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    and yet they suggest 1 glass of wine a day is good for you. Thats like teetering on the edge there! OH NO! lol

Exactly. It seems as if the US is into trying to scaremonger moderate drinking. We have such a weird attitude about alcohol. I think the attitude in the UK is much more reasonable.
    The U.S. has always has a funny relationship with alcohol.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If the CDC said it makes you a heavy drinker, then you are a heavy drinker, there's really no opinions involved here. The CDC is the final word on everything health related. Sorry if that makes you feel bad, drink less or accept that you are classified as a heavy drinker.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If the CDC said it makes you a heavy drinker, then you are a heavy drinker, there's really no opinions involved here. The CDC is the final word on everything health related. Sorry if that makes you feel bad, drink less or accept that you are classified as a heavy drinker.
    :laugh: good one.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Laugh it off it it makes you feel better, doesn't change facts. :^)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :laugh: 8 drinks would knock me the fark out long before my clothes fell off.

Once upon a time, when we were in our 20's, we used to wait till Thurs if it was a particularly stressful week, but usually till Friday to get a snootful. Maybe Saturday too, but not all 3 days on the regular.

This was known as 'responsible' because we abstained the rest of the week, went to work, school, took care of families, etc.

I hear now that's referred to as 'binge drinking'....ya just can't win :laugh:
  • hookilau
    Options
    Is 7 drinks a week considered being a heavy drinker...one glass of wine a day? I think not.. but all the sugar in alcohol keeps me far away from it except on occasion. To each his own.

That's why I like bourbon. No sugar!

and tequila...and rum...and vodka:drinker:
    however, I can only handle 1-2 at the most....I gets to be a drunkey munkey in no time :smokin:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Laugh it off it it makes you feel better, doesn't change facts. :^)
    Until they come up with something new. As they always do. Like "choosemyplate.gov" and good ole BMI.
    :happy:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

^^ And one more of this...

To me, it seems disturbing, how many people are defending those 8+ servings of drinks... Looking at this as an average over the course of maybe one year, if I would have one glass per day, that would be a lot of booze... Even worse, if I would find out that I 'HAVE TO HAVE' one a day to make it through, or engage in a lengthy debate to JUSTIFY my average number of drinks......THAT is a problem in my book...
    Just my 1.5 oz on the topic....

I find it much more disturbing that people come into the alcohol threads and jump to conclusions based on nothing more than some message board posts...

Or people who find that having a discussion on a message board about the posted topic is a "lengthy debate"...

Or people who make a message board post to weigh in on a discussion that they find disturbing....
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'll drink (8) to that! Cheers!!
  • Emily_20x
    Emily_20x Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't drink very often but when I do go out its a lot more than 8 drinks..
    Usually we do pre-drinks and get drunk so don't spend that much going out (student budget)
    Then quite a few out as its so cheap so yeah quite a lot!
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When you look at it alcohol is actually a toxin, so I imagine that drinking 8 drinks a week on a regular basis would do damage to the body and over time that damage could be compounded. So I can understand why, within the medical community , 8 drinks a week would make someone a heavy drinker.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    When you look at it alcohol is actually a toxin, so I imagine that drinking 8 drinks a week on a regular basis would do damage to the body and over time that damage could be compounded. So I can understand why, within the medical community , 8 drinks a week would make someone a heavy drinker.
    And yet 7 a week is considered "good". That's the only thing I'm shaking my head at. Every doctor I have seen as an adult has said wine with dinner nightly is good.

For men they've always said 1-2 a night is good. That's 7-14. Now 14 is bad.

It's an about face. And I predict another one is coming. As it always does in nutrition studies.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I ended up downing three of my eight last night instead of two. But this hangover makes me wonder if I'm going to make it to heavy drinker status this week. The spirit is willing, but the belly is weak.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    um.. if you have a glass of wine with dinner.. that's 7 of the 8 drinks.. and considering doctors still say a glass of wine a day is beneficial for women.. i'd say that report was crock.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

If I do a gin and juice cleanse, will the juice cleanse my body of the toxins in the gin?
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. In France, if you had a glass of wine with lunch and another with dinner each night, you'd be considered a light drinker.
  • hookilau
    Options

If I do a gin and juice cleanse, will the juice cleanse my body of the toxins in the gin?

one can only hope :laugh:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

only if you're rolling down the street, smokin' Indo, with your mind on your money...