• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Based on this study, I'm dead.

Oops.
  • chalk_and_chaturangas
    chalk_and_chaturangas Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Heavy drinking doesn't necessarily imply alcoholism. Your pattern of drinking really couldn't be considered alcoholism because your need to drink does not interfere with your ability to function daily. However, that being said, patterns lead to habits and habits lead to addiction so you might want to be mindful of your drinking, but I don't think that you have a problem at this point.

It doesn't necessarily imply it, but it is a symptom. The general quantity gauge for alcoholism for women is more than one drink per night (7/week) and more than two drinks per night for men. Granted, there are other factors to be considered before someone can be diagnosed as an alcoholic, such as the feeling of needing to drink. I doubt they were trying to label women specifically. The fact of the matter is that women's bodies are composed differently than men's and the ability to metabolize alcohol varies between the genders.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Heavy drinking doesn't necessarily imply alcoholism. Your pattern of drinking really couldn't be considered alcoholism because your need to drink does not interfere with your ability to function daily. However, that being said, patterns lead to habits and habits lead to addiction so you might want to be mindful of your drinking, but I don't think that you have a problem at this point.

It doesn't necessarily imply it, but it is a symptom. The general quantity gauge for alcoholism for women is more than one drink per night (7/week) and more than two drinks per night for men. Granted, there are other factors to be considered before someone can be diagnosed as an alcoholic, such as the feeling of needing to drink. I doubt they were trying to label women specifically. The fact of the matter is that women's bodies are composed differently than men's and the ability to metabolize alcohol varies between the genders.
    So the "general quantity gauge for alcoholism" is exactly what doctors recommend drinking?
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    They can call it whatever they want, but when I'm done with this diet I'm having a drink or 8.

LOL
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Based on this study, I'm dead.

Oops.

:laugh::drinker::laugh:

I wonder if the CDC takes their marching orders from Hobby Lobby, too...
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

So the "general quantity gauge for alcoholism" is exactly what doctors recommend drinking?

Exactly! Which is always one more than the author drinks! Cheers! :drinker:
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I drink maybe 3-4 drinks a year when I go to my brother's. Lately though I'd been thinking it would be kind of nice to relax with a drink after work every day...

If you think about drinking more than 3-4 times a week, you have a serious addiction, regardless of whether on not you actually drink.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Look, you really can't consider the drinking or even the pattern of drinking as alcoholism. It's the slope, but that doesn't necessarily make it slippery. It's the impact that the alcohol has on your life that determines alcoholism and addiction. Sure, you might be a functional alcoholic that can drive and work and be completely wasted (very few people can pull this off), but that doesn't mean that the alcohol isn't impacting your relationships. Doctors prescribe a glass of wine a day for the antioxidants. By upholding this definition of "heavy drinking", then anyone who decided to have an extra glass of wine a day or two out of the week is an alcoholic.
  • Papa_Grande
    Papa_Grande Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I drink maybe 3-4 drinks a year when I go to my brother's. Lately though I'd been thinking it would be kind of nice to relax with a drink after work every day...

If you think about drinking more than 3-4 times a week, you have a serious addiction, regardless of whether on not you actually drink.

:yawn: Opinions are like anuses....Ya follow me?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

No. That's not right at all. So if I think about sex more than 3-4 times a week than I'm a sex addict? No.

Alcoholism and addiction is about the damage it causes. If the OP can have 8 drinks a week, and not make herself sick or spend all her money on it, or make stupid decisions that harm others, then she is not an alcoholic. She might be at risk of alcoholism, but not an alcoholic.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's bull......anyone drinking an average of 5 drinks or more per week is a heavy drinker.....8 is an alcoholic.

incorrect.

True alcholics cannot function without the booze- their metabolizm changes- there is an actual cellular shift that happens.
    My coworker's wife is/was full blown alcoholic- she's in remission at this point- but he's a biologist/chemist person-(like- he teaches at Rutgers- not read an article once kind of person) and I've been lectured several times about this- the AMOUNT has absolutely nothing to do with being an alcoholic- it's all about the metabolism and cellular level.
    To me, a glass of wine a day isn't a lot. But, then, to me, a soda a day is a lot.
    my point preceisly indeed- contect is everything.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    True alcholics cannot function without the booze- their metabolizm changes- there is an actual cellular shift that happens.
    My coworker's wife is/was full blown alcoholic- she's in remission at this point- but he's a biologist/chemist person-(like- he teaches at Rutgers- not read an article once kind of person) and I've been lectured several times about this- the AMOUNT has absolutely nothing to do with being an alcoholic- it's all about the metabolism and cellular level.

This! Addiction is about brain chemistry... not the substance you use to change it. It doesn't happen over a few weeks. It happens over the course of years.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

In addition to preoccupation, addictions are typically characterized by tolerance, withdrawal, and persistence despite serious negative life consequences. So, no.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you that much, it might be a good idea to ask yourself why.

This.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

In addition to preoccupation, addictions are typically characterized by tolerance, withdrawal, and persistence despite serious negative life consequences. So, no.

QFT!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

This! Addiction is about brain chemistry... not the substance you use to change it. It doesn't happen over a few weeks. It happens over the course of years.

even more than brain chemistry- like metebolic chemistry. At some point- you're metabolism doesn't run without the sugar from the alcohol and in order to get your body functioning - you start using alcohol like we use coffee.

And from what I understand- you never truly fully recover from being a full blown alcoholic-you go into remission- and if you start drinking again- you don't "build back up" within weeks/days (depending on heavily you dive back in) you wind up at the same dangerous place- you don't repeat the process of getting metobolically effed- you just catch back up to where you were. Which is why being a true alcoholic is so dangerous- because "slip ups" can mean death if you are THAT close to drinking yourself to the grave.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So, What qualifies someone as a Sugar Addict then??

*runs*
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the CDC, they're just as dangerous as the diseases they fight.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    So, What qualifies someone as a Sugar Addict then??

*runs*

Good question.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It'd be a lot for me, 3 drinks and I'm the happiest person in the bar.