Mixed emotions. My man spoke to me about my weight.

Options

Replies

• skip2lulu
    skip2lulu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is not what he SAYS, but what he DOES. Sometimes men don't know how to communicate in anything other than black and white. But if he is truly supportive of you, he will make healthy lifestyle changes with you and encourage you in a positive way.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Oh, ouch! I had a former male friend who never said a word about my weight, just kept talking and talking and talking... about all the women MY AGE at his gym who were in Fantastic shape. I told him he should ask one of them out. He didn't take the hint. I was not interested in him to begin with and after that, I was never going to be. We are no longer friends. I was about 15 pounds overweight at the time, 5'2", size 6/78 or small/medium depending on the brand -- really nothing to complain about.

It was pretty rude considering he was 60 pounds overweight himself and thought nothing of eating a whole pizza for dinner. He did eventually lose the weight, but there wasn't any point picking on me, I was hardly a bad influence. The other way 'round I'd say.

I can go one better. I dated a guy who lost 70 pounds while we were dating. He kept arguing with me about my diet progress--he thought a half-pound-a-week loss was failure. (I am 5'0". That's a pretty good rate.)

But when I got close to my goal of 125, he started telling me that I should aim for 105. I said, I haven't weighed 105 since I was 16! You have got to be kidding. I look fantastic at 132, thank you very much. (Working to get back to that now.) Anyway, his reasoning was that his daughter was 5'4" tall and weighed 114 lbs. Um, yeah. Your daughter, I said, is 23 years old, a tri-athlete, and the apple of your eye---three things I will never be.
  • tssomerville6113
    tssomerville6113 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree so much with your statement ... honesty in a relationship is the only way things work. Take this time to start eating healthy and encourage him to do it with you. Have a healthy dinner and enjoy a nice long walk after dinner together. Not only will you feel better but you will be able to enjoy some quality time with your husband .

Do take it personal, just time to make small changes that will make you feel better and help you live longer....
  • aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he only said something because he cares about you. Use that to help drive yourself. Yeah people say "do it for yourself, not anyone else" which is true to an extent. I'm doing this for myself and because I want to be confident again, but at the same time I want my man to be proud of the way I look. And I want to be healthy for him and to be around for him for the rest of our lives.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on delivery. If he said something along the lines of "babe you're getting fat and I don't find that attractive" I'd be very hurt and upset. If he said something like "babe I've noticed that you haven't been as happy and active as usual and I'm becoming concerned" then no real reason to be upset.
    What if he was really thinking the first but said the second?

I get that there's no need to go out of your to hurt someone, but burying your own feelings to avoid doing so isn't necessarily the pathway to happiness, either. Some things are going to hurt your feelings.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's not always about meaning to hurt or insult, sometimes it's just because you love the person and want to see them happy and healthy. We all know the truth, no one overweight is really happy about it or comfortable in their skin no matter what they say to themselves. So, use it to motivate you to get in shape and be the person you know you can be.

This fits my experience perfectly. I was dating a guy who preferred larger women, and when we first got together I was anything but. Over three years I gained and gained and gained with plenty of encouragement from him.

I got to a point where my knees hurt, my blood work showed some issues and I honestly didn't know who that person in the mirror was.

A co-worker decided enough was enough and one day came into my office, put her arm around my shoulder and whispered into my ear: "Judy, I love you but you're too fat." English is her second language and this was the only way she knew how to express her concern.

Total wake up call. Started losing weight, ditched the now unhappy boyfriend and never looked back. Sometimes you just need to hear the truth.....one way or another. I was lucky. My co-worker told it like she saw it. The good thing about this is when she says I look great, I can believe her. :)
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat, except in the opposite way. My boyfriend doesn't want me to lose weight. I am not overweight, but I would like to slim down a little to up my self-esteem. But every time I talk about what I've eaten today, or how many calories I burned while exercising, he gets upset. He says it hurts his feelings because he thinks I am beautiful the way I am and that I'm pretty much ignoring what he says by dieting. He said it also hurts his feelings because I talk about how I need to lose weight when I don't, and he knows he needs to lose weight. He says, "If you aren't happy with yourself the way you are, then how can you possibly find me attractive the way I am?" He is on the bigger side, but he has been the whole time I've been with him and I love him nonetheless. I do wish he would lose some weight just to help his health, but I don't want to mention it. I know in time he will do it on his own. As far as my weight loss goes, I try to just keep it a "secret" from him - I just don't discuss exercising or trying to eat smaller portions, etc. I do feel bad for thinking that yes, he does need to lose weight because I love him and find him attractive the way he is, but I just want him to get healthy so we can live long, happy, healthy lives together.
    He sounds a tad insecure, and a little manipulative. Why you ask, bc my EX didn't want me to really WO(he had packed on about 50 lb) so I would sneak out of the house early in the a.m. and run then get back in bed as if nothing happened. Very disturbing looking back at that, but I allowed it, so I can't play the victim.
    I can relate somewhat to this as well. I had a boyfriend who constantly made me feel like I shouldn't do anything to improve how I looked. At the time, I felt he was incredibly loving because even if I looked like crap, he always made me feel like I was the most beautiful woman in the room. But looking back, I do think it was somewhat manipulative of him to do things that would sabotage my -ok they were feeble back then - attempts to look and feel better about my body. I soon lost track of what I considered healthy or sexy for me because he really did seem to appreciate me in all sizes. But anyway, it seems like I blame him, which I don't. I take full responsibility for everything I didn't do to keep myself in shape back then.

But before I get completely off track, my point is he would also say that if I felt I needed to lose weight, then I couldn't be attracted to him (he's 6'6" and had a bit of extra weight) and I'd end up feeling guilty for doing something that somehow made him doubt my love for him. Now that the relationship ended, I can clearly see that should be classified as manipulative behavior.

But here's the thing, we remain friends and the other day I mentioned my progress and that I was getting back in shape, and I was kinda surprised when told me again how he really never thought I was out of shape to being with, but he was sorry if he contributed to make me feel unhealthy. So... maybe he wasn't being manipulative after all? I don't know, perhaps there are some guys who really don't mind the weight gain and just feel insecure when the girl is trying to look better and take that as a sign that she's about to dump them? I don't know. I guess men are complicated creatures.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    When in my early 30s, for over 3 years I had a boyfriend who always complained about my weight. I am 5' 3 1/2" and he thought I was enormous at 129 pounds. Desperate to hold on to him, I dieted down to 108. He still thought I was fat. He told me, "Your legs should look like mine. Your butt should look like mine." He was 5' 10" and 147 pounds and he did look perfect. I like thin men! But I felt I was too thin at 108. We went to a bookstore and I showed him books with photos of Marilyn Monroe and said, that is an ideal female figure. And he said, "She's a pig."
    Ha. You were trying to stay with a guy who was 5"10" and 147 lbs?
    So, who opens the pickle jars and does the manly stuff around home?

Best response ever!!!!!!!

^^ I second that!^^ LMBO!!!
  • MaxineMarieM
    MaxineMarieM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you not have anything nice to say to a person then Shut the Hell up!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    But here's the thing, we remain friends and the other day I mentioned my progress and that I was getting back in shape, and I was kinda surprised when told me again how he really never thought I was out of shape to being with, but he was sorry if he contributed to make me feel unhealthy. So... maybe he wasn't being manipulative after all? I don't know, perhaps there are some guys who really don't mind the weight gain and just feel insecure when the girl is trying to look better and take that as a sign that she's about to dump them? I don't know. I guess men are complicated creatures.
    It's not just men. My wife literally laughed out loud when I showed her pictures of the kind of body I'm going for after I lose the weight and am able to bulk.

Later, she said she was just shocked because she couldn't imagine being married to someone who had a body like that.
  • manderkae
    manderkae Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, my six year old daughter would not let me ride one of those enclosed slides at a water park yesterday because another kid had told her a week prior that someone fat had went down the slide, got stuck, broke the slide, and the body was never found. It was really hard to hear. It was clearly out of concern for my fat body getting stuck and not to be ugly. She even started crying and hugging me. So today I'm getting serious and getting healthy. I have known I needed to do it for a while, but I haven't been. I am breastfeeding and so I am always hungry, but I haven't been making smart decisions. :( and now I'm a little depressed. But I'm going to try and keep motivated and positive because I know it will make me feel a lot better (and maybe next summer she will approve of me going down the slide).
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    well

I am wondering how this info was conveyed.

My better half loves to pinch my jiggle. (Now there is less of it he has to really try to find a place to pinch)

Sometimes I will get upset, but then I realize he is being palyful....and I pinch his jiggle right back.

Is your man saying thiese things with love?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I hope he is a former BF.

Why? If your partner is supposed to be your best friend, shouldn't he/she be able to talk to you about your health? Providing that it was said with kindness and good intention, I don't see a problem.

Well, since she was 108 and he still thought she was fat I really don't see any way that could be loving.

That wasn't the OP. That was another poster and I wasn't referring to that post.

But the person you responded to was. Your comment might have been intended for the OP but you quoted someone who was addressing someone else. No biggie, it happens. :)

Not in her original post. He/she edited after the fact. I have like, 1,700 posts. I'm pretty sure I know how it works.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Not in her original post. He/she edited after the fact. I have like, 1,700 posts. I'm pretty sure I know how it works.

Ah, I did not know they edited. My apologies, didn't mean to upset you.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have been known to say that myself about my ex-- "Maybe what he really wanted was a MAN?" I say that because I know he would feel insulted at that. In truth, I do not believe he was attracted to males. I think what he really was attracted to was skinny females who were very toned and firm with no cellulite. I believe he viewed me as fat because my thighs/butt were fleshy and cellulite-laden, because size-wise I wasn't actually large at all at 129 pounds. In fact, he was absolutely shocked when one day I put on a pair of his little corduroy Ocean Pacific short shorts and zipped them up easily. He was just stunned. My taste runs to VERY thin men, firm but without muscle definition. I didn't think J.J. on "Good Times" was too thin at all! For myself, I don't want to be 95 pounds and model-thin. I do not want to look athletic or have any defined musculature. I want to be soft and slender but I like being a size 4 and I need to lose a few pounds so my size 4 jeans will fit better (I am 121 lbs.)-- but I do not want to be size 2.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. My husband is 70 and weights 132 lbs, same as when he was 17. And could still wear the same trousers lol. But he has strong muscles and chops trees many days for our fires. He is fine boned just like the rest of his family
    In 2005 I was an OZ size 24 and now Oz size 12. I was VERY sick and sad. He never wavered in helping me. to get fit.. He tells me I am still bigger than when I met him, yes an OZ size 8. We eat healthily and I train every morning
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    My husband is gentle in the way he tells me about my weight-by suggesting that both of us get to the gym to get exercise or that we both eat healthier.

I'm hoping this was along the same lines. A lot of times it's hard to hear it from someone we love because maybe we've been thinking it for a long time, but hearing it out loud especially from our significant other...it makes it real somehow.
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When in my early 30s, for over 3 years I had a boyfriend who always complained about my weight. I am 5' 3 1/2" and he thought I was enormous at 129 pounds. Desperate to hold on to him, I dieted down to 108. He still thought I was fat. He told me, "Your legs should look like mine. Your butt should look like mine." He was 5' 10" and 147 pounds and he did look perfect. I like thin men! But I felt I was too thin at 108. We went to a bookstore and I showed him books with photos of Marilyn Monroe and said, that is an ideal female figure. And he said, "She's a pig."
    [/qu

Can not be more agree NEVER SUCH GUY FOR Me I prefer little bit overweight than that
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sugar Ray Leonard boxed at that height and weight for years. His contemporary, Thomas Hearns, boxed in the same weight class while being taller. I suspect both were perfectly capable of opening pickle jars and doing "manly stuff" (whatever that means) while they were at fighting weight.

Why is the attempt to body shame thinner folks any different/better than the attempt to body shame heavier ones?

My husband is slim and relatively muscular, along these lines. I assure you that he can open pickle jars, play with our kids, run for miles, lift heavy things, etc.

I don't appreciate shaming of either fat or thin people.

Not putting down any one Just sharing personal preference
  • Cupcake_Kate1990
    Cupcake_Kate1990 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I suppose it depends on how he said it...