Runners! Do you acknowledge other runners while out forn

Options

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i used to run, and usually smiled or said hi as other runners and i passed. now i walk, and still say hi or smile to other walkers and to runners who are out and about. usually i get a response, and if not, that's okay - i figure some people are very focused.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Nod and smile while running/biking the forest path.

It's friendly and just in case there comes a day when I pass out on the path, people will want to help the nice friendly girl instead of kicking me and running on while chuckling diabolically.

Edited to add: I sweat a LOT from my face and a nod/smile let's people know that I am okay and not on the verge of heat stroke. In the past random strangers have asked if I was okay because they were alarmed by super sweaty face.

LOL, this absolutely describes my thoughts on the issue (in addition to the sweat I also turn a lovely shade of puce)! You're not getting more than the grimace/nod though because in 90+ degrees and 100+ heat index I have nothing else to give. Anyone trying to get a vocalization out of me would probably not like the result.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I usually try to chase them down and give them an encouraging *kitten* slap.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

That moisture was sweat I swear! Although if we're going to get physiological about it, meh, not much difference.....
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options

That moisture was sweat I swear! Although if we're going to get physiological about it, meh, not much difference.....

It made an incredibly satisying whip crack sound. And how about that follow-up jiggle? Amirite?!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

It made an incredibly satisying whip crack sound. And how about that follow-up jiggle? Amirite?!

What jiggle?!?!?! :sad: :sad: :sad: :brokenheart:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options

I meant MY follow-up jiggle. DUH!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Oh thank goodness! Ahem, yes yes, very um....refreshing?
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    Options

Oh thank goodness! Ahem, yes yes, very um....refreshing?

Not the first time I've heard that. *nods*
  • diamonddaveperry
    diamonddaveperry Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I always acknowledge--and only acknowledge--other runners with a quick wave, who 99.9 percent of the time do the same in return. The bikers that pass me are too busy staring at the front tires of their $2,000 bikes to bother with the likes of us bipeds. ;)
  • klyee
    klyee Posts: 8
    Options
    The nod and smile is important for two reasons:
    1: As a runner, whether you know this or not, you now belong to a secret society. If you have not received your ring in the mail, you will soon. The smile and nod is the runner secret handshake. It acknowledges you as an actual runner and not just some peasant moving quickly.
    2: Without the nod and smile how will you tell other runners "I am totally enjoying my decision to run today and do not feel at all like I am going to drop dead at any moment"?

Love this!

And I always acknowledge others, but find that there are only certain ones that acknowledge me or wave back. The ones who don't are usually super fast, in their 20's, and super fit. There must be levels in this secret society and I'm not there yet...lol
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I smile and nod at other runners, walkers, bikers, people in cars who let me go at intersections so I don't have to stop (love them). People who move out of my way on the sidewalk get a thank you too :)!

Running is my happy place lol
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually give a wave and try to muster up a smile (grimace) whenever possible. But if I see George_Bailey heading my way, I will be sure to slow down for an *kitten* slap. :laugh:
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    I use a smile and nod. If I were to try and vocalize it would come out as something like a seal bark. No need to fodder for their dinnertime jokes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I should run with you. I might like that.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Most of the runners/walkers that I pass by say hi/good morning. The small few that don't I consider them zombies.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I usually at least give a wave and a nod. Occasionally I may say "hi" or "how's it going", but I don't expect lengthy answers.
  • okfitmom
    okfitmom Posts: 8
    Options
    I always smile or say good morning if I can form a proper sentence at that time. but honestly, I don't get much back from other runners where I live.
    However, I live in a tourist spot and I am always having to weave in and out of the tourists and they are always waving and cheering and taking our picture, i run with my 2 toddlers and the tourists love them. The other day, they chased me down and I had to stop and get a picture taken with a lovely Chinese family, lol. Pretty sure that one is going on their mantel at home. ;)
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I run on the country roads where I live. Out here everybody is expected to wave to everybody else, whether we be walking, biking, driving, or just standing outside. It adds to the "quaint" I guess.
  • catcow888
    catcow888 Posts: 37
    Options
    I smile at everyone I walk/run/bike past, as it's just polite! One of my pet hates is when people don't acknowledge you as you pass them, and it's even more annoying when I make the effort to smile despite how tired I am, and they don't even look at you. Grrr!