Runners! Do you acknowledge other runners while out forn

Options

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    One time I tried to greet this really attractive running guy with a chest bump. He didn't seem to appreciate my friendly gesture. I can only assume he doesn't care for really short, super sweaty, slow moving heavy girls or bikes. Did I mention I was biking at that time?
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am sooo bad at greeting others. For the longest, I looked at the ground instead of the road ahead. I finally am trying to nod to everyone I pass. I need to try to smile too. Sometimes I do miss people, but I work really hard at running. I am on of those you would think is about to die if you pass them, however, my skin just likes the color of bright red. :sad:
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    And I'm in NYC/JC area...we ignore each other here. :embarassed:
    I used to live in FL, it's different there...
  • thenk83
    thenk83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually acknowledge most people I pass or encounter. From the lady pushing her kid in a stroller to the runners. It's just how I am...
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    One time I tried to greet this really attractive running guy with a chest bump. He didn't seem to appreciate my friendly gesture. I can only assume he doesn't care for really short, super sweaty, slow moving heavy girls or bikes. Did I mention I was biking at that time?

I have to try this! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I usually acknowledge others on the path either smile or nod. Speaking is not an option :frown:
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    They say runners who wave and say hi are happier runners :P
  • CPrun1
    CPrun1 Posts: 550
    Options
    I acknowledge everyone when i run but, i have noticed the ones on bikes usually act like they dont notice. Most other runners do.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the topic title. My computer is being a pain.

Hi everyone. I've recently started long distance running (5KM for now) and always see a lot of fellow runners along the path I run. I always smile a wave to them, and they nearly always do the same. Do you do that? Or is it just common to say hi?
    It depends how tired I am. At the end of my 15 miler on Saturday I didn't have the energy to waste to say hi or the greeting around here 'Aye Aye'. I actually don't see many other runners so I do normally say hi if I see them I see more dog walkers than anything. I always say hello to cute dogs!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I usually try to chase them down and give them an encouraging *kitten* slap.

I should run with you. I might like that.

10/10 would make like a cardio bunny with...
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I smile, or after 10km I am likely to only be able to grimace, but I do put an effort in ;)
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I either nod or say hello. During races, I thank every police officer and paramedic ha ha. Started it and just like to continue
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have always given a nod or a smile - dont always get something back though! :laugh:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I smile - which I'm sure comes across as a grimace -- or give a head nod. If the other runner speaks to me, I'll (attempt LOL) to speak back.

This is me too :)
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options
    Yeah I greet everyone. Some are in their own world and ya just gotta respect that. Even if someone doesn't respond they probably have things goin on in their head atm of greeting that blocks everything else out. Or they hate running and don't wanna talk lol.. 95% are friendly
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Nod and a good morning or afternoon if there is eye contact ... if not I just keep on trucking along!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I usually smile and nod. Not enough energy to wave LOL!

Where I live...er...I don't always get a smile back. :/
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't normally see other runners in my neighborhood, but when I do I nod and smile, but don't stop.
  • touslesmemes
    Options
    Nope ignore.

Yep. Unless I need something or I need to talk to them to warn them about something like a tree root. I don't really care tbh, I'm usually thinking.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see runners have the same sort of etiquette as us cyclists! I give a wave, nod or a cheery "hellooo" to my fellow cyclists when I see them. I generally acknowledge runners, walkers and anyone else I see that's outside enjoying the fresh air too! :wink:

We're all in this together, let's share the joy and celebrate our pain! :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod generally to other runners, if they don't have headphones in/on that I can see I'll give a "hi" or "howdy" as we pass. I'll generally muster a smile and a wave for car drivers that don't run me over or let me cross an intersection without stopping.