Runners! Do you acknowledge other runners while out forn

Options

Replies

• runNORTHweights
    Options
    I have been running long distance for 15 years. I am often in a zone and if the run is hard that day I just can't acknowledge anyone or anything. But if I am going along nice and relaxed and I see others I will smile or wave or say hi. Just focus on the "burning" of calories! LOTS!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I give them a big Ed McMahon "HEY-O!" and a pat on the butt.

No, I'm too shy. And no one, but no one, runs slower than I do. Other runners would probably think I'm walking.

I run slower than you do.

I smile. Sometime I wave. When the endorphins hit, I pump my fist and hoot. If they look like they are lost in their music or doing chi running or something, I respect their privacy, however.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The nod and smile is important for two reasons:
    1: As a runner, whether you know this or not, you now belong to a secret society. If you have not received your ring in the mail, you will soon. The smile and nod is the runner secret handshake. It acknowledges you as an actual runner and not just some peasant moving quickly.
    2: Without the nod and smile how will you tell other runners "I am totally enjoying my decision to run today and do not feel at all like I am going to drop dead at any moment"?

Love this!

And I always acknowledge others, but find that there are only certain ones that acknowledge me or wave back. The ones who don't are usually super fast, in their 20's, and super fit. There must be levels in this secret society and I'm not there yet...lol

Repeat to yourself "Tempo run. That guy is doing a tempo run and trying to maintain his pace."
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yeahhhh....no. I'm just trying to keep breathing. If they say something to me first, I'll respond though. This is also why I wear sunglasses when I run, even if it's overcast. If I don't make eye contact, a lot of time they'll leave me alone.

ETA: I went for a bike ride last weekend, the first time in like 15 years. I was totally shocked at how nice the other bikers were. The bike trail was super crowded, and nearly everyone that passed us acknowledged us in some way.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I give a nod, smile or say hello. If I'm running at home because of how our neighborhood is there's a loop that people run/walk/bike so you might see the same person 2 or 3 times depending on the way they are going and the work out, I usually give a hello the first time by, then a smile the next time we pass either other. People that I see daily generally we do a "hey Bob how are you today?". Sometimes I do a "WTF it's hot today isn't it" to folks I have had real conversations with in the past. I also give a wave to cars driving by depending on how I feel.

I never care if people respond or not.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I also wave at cars that don't run me over when I'm running in the street.

Yep me too! I also bang on the hoods of the ones that come to close or don't look both ways before they turn into me while I'm running as far to the side as I can.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    I'm usually the only one running or cycling so it's not an issue. I do, however, live in a very friendly area and everyone waves to everyone regardless if you know them which is kind of nice.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I usually acknowledge everyone - runners, walkers, bikers, drivers who let me keep moving - with a wave, smile or nod. Doesn't cost anything to be friendly!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I look for eye contact. If I don't get it, I don't bother smiling or waving.

I am more concerned with people getting out of my way when I'm skateboarding. I keep my ultimate b!tchface on when boarding. When peeps (deliberately and willingly) move out of my way they get a smile and wave. I've noticed that runners are more likely than walkers to give me room and/or smile. Most of the time, however, I defer to the runners and get my *kitten* out of their way. (running is approximately 3x more work than skateboarding, by my estimation) I seem to get more smiles from runners when I'm boarding as opposed to running.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I look for eye contact. If I don't get it, I don't bother smiling or waving.

I am more concerned with people getting out of my way when I'm skateboarding. I keep my ultimate b!tchface on when boarding. When peeps (deliberately and willingly) move out of my way they get a smile and wave. I've noticed that runners are more likely than walkers to give me room and/or smile. Most of the time, however, I defer to the runners and get my *kitten* out of their way. (running is approximately 3x more work than skateboarding, by my estimation) I seem to get more smiles from runners when I'm boarding as opposed to running.

I think the protocol is bikers yield to runners yield to equestrians when on trails. I don't know where skateboarders fall into that.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm a misanthropic runner.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I wave, smile, and say "hi" to everyone I pass unless I am about to puke from the heat or during a speed workout. I do the same when I'm cycling. Most of the time I get a positive response, but sometimes I get the blank stare. I just think it's a great way to acknowledge the efforts of anyone who has gotten up off their butts to get outside and exercise. :)
  • mank32
    Options
    I think the protocol is bikers yield to runners yield to equestrians when on trails. I don't know where skateboarders fall into that.

nowhere, hopefully. :bigsmile: I prefer the margins, where I can make up my own protocols.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Protocol is for you to yell "on your left" (or whichever side you plan to pass) if you are passing others from behind. Most people will move. I'm guessing you are talking about those oncoming peeps, though. If I can get off the path and I'm on foot, I will get out of the way for any wheels. I feel it is easier for me to walk/run on grass than it is for you to stop.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    say wave, say hi, what's up? whatever comes naturally depending on how focused they are. sometimes i do a double clap and say "good job" which I learned from volunteering at events. when I pass a dog that doesn't acknowledge, me I say good dog.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I run at 5am in my neighborhood. I have only once in the 2 years of doing this seen another runner out at that hour, and he was way ahead turning down another block.

If, however, I were to pass another runner I would smile, nod, and hand them my card:

"Hello. I am a solitary female runner in a pre-dawn darkened neighborhood. I notice that you, too, are running in my neighborhood. This card serves to inform you that I have made a note of your height, coloring, and general age*. I have also taken photographs of the license plates of all unfamiliar cars I have run past this morning and emailed them to the proper authorities. If I have not returned home by 6am, my spouse and children are under instruction to contact said authorities and begin the investigation into my whereabouts. Your acceptance of this card is your agreement that you will submit yourself to any questioning or DNA testing in the course of this investigation. Have a great run!"

*Additionally, I have noted your running pace and you are making me very insecure in my lack of speed. Also, this is a school zone. Please slow down.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I smile and say hi to every runner, walker, biker I see. The lucky ones get hugs.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I run at 5am in my neighborhood. I have only once in the 2 years of doing this seen another runner out at that hour, and he was way ahead turning down another block.

If, however, I were to pass another runner I would smile, nod, and hand them my card:

"Hello. I am a solitary female runner in a pre-dawn darkened neighborhood. I notice that you, too, are running in my neighborhood. This card serves to inform you that I have made a note of your height, coloring, and general age*. I have also taken photographs of the license plates of all unfamiliar cars I have run past this morning and emailed them to the proper authorities. If I have not returned home by 6am, my spouse and children are under instruction to contact said authorities and begin the investigation into my whereabouts. Your acceptance of this card is your agreement that you will submit yourself to any questioning or DNA testing in the course of this investigation. Have a great run!"

*Additionally, I have noted your running pace and you are making me very insecure in my lack of speed. Also, this is a school zone. Please slow down.

maybe instead of being interested in solving the crime, maybe focus on preventing the crime. like when girls text ID details to a friend of some guy they just met and are about to go home with.

the card should state some mma skills and an NRA member.
  • mank32
    Options
    Protocol is for you to yell "on your left" (or whichever side you plan to pass) if you are passing others from behind.

Yeah, i'm super careful passing anyone from behind since the day I gave an "on your left" and the lady walked TO the left, causing a slow-motion crash. :noway: I figure most ppl aren't this clueless, but you never know...
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Protocol is for you to yell "on your left" (or whichever side you plan to pass) if you are passing others from behind.

Yeah, i'm super careful passing anyone from behind since the day I gave an "on your left" and the lady walked TO the left, causing a slow-motion crash. :noway: I figure most ppl aren't this clueless, but you never know...

10/10 would acknowledge on either side