Any c25k newbies?

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Ok, so finished up Day 1 on my lunch break.. Managed to cover 1.25 miles in the 30 minutes. Hoping to increase that a little bit next week. Had some pain in my shins, but nothing major and I don't think I overdid it. But, I feel sorry for the poor treadmill, I think it got more of a workout than me. haha.. I sweated a lot more than I thought I would. But, glad that Day 1 is done and I'm not discouraged about carrying on.

Fantastic news, don't worry about the distance, just do the time. This is about prepping your body to take the stresses of running. Just make sure you are not going too fast, I found it really difficult to get the pace on the treadmill right for me. As the session went on I found I wanted to slow it down but my ego got in the way. I found it easier outside when there is no belt continuously moving, however I recognise in your situation that may not be that easy. If your shins continue to hurt you may need to just do a few weeks of walking first. It may not be what you want to hear, but you need to get your body used to the stress. It will get stronger during the rest days. A few extra weeks at the start will be lost when you get into your running. Slow and easy, the tortoise wins this race every time.

Good luck on your journey
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    WOW! today i started week 2 day 1, and didnt realise how much different jogging 90seconds would be to jogging 60 seconds.

i managed to do the first 4 runs but then had to give up, breathing was all out of wack like it was on week 1 day 1. i was pretty gutted though realise i only had 2 more runs to do before the cool down walk

so will be redoing W2D1, am thinking i should start with this rather than doing my usual warm up on the bike like i dad today.

Try going slower, you should be able to hold a conversation with someone. You can always go slower. There should be no huffing and puffing on C25k. Speed is an ego thing, I know, I got injured the first time I tried by running and huffing and puffing. 2nd time out, lesson learnt, got to the end without repeating a single day. Good luck on your journey, be that tortoise.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smartphone but I do have a gps. I am not sure how that would work.

What kind? Garmin connect will download the track from the GPS and then share it with other services.

Your other option is just to use the online mapping and trace your sessions after the fact.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    WOW! today i started week 2 day 1, and didnt realise how much different jogging 90seconds would be to jogging 60 seconds.

i managed to do the first 4 runs but then had to give up, breathing was all out of wack like it was on week 1 day 1. i was pretty gutted though realise i only had 2 more runs to do before the cool down walk

so will be redoing W2D1, am thinking i should start with this rather than doing my usual warm up on the bike like i dad today.

Try going slower, you should be able to hold a conversation with someone. You can always go slower. There should be no huffing and puffing on C25k. Speed is an ego thing, I know, I got injured the first time I tried by running and huffing and puffing. 2nd time out, lesson learnt, got to the end without repeating a single day. Good luck on your journey, be that tortoise.

i do go slow, my jog is litterally only just a step up from a speed walk, I was jogging at same speed as i was last week.
    Like I said in PP i sang my way through week1 day3. so had no problem with breathing that day lol.

i dont know if its because id not been to the gym since friday morning (Sunday would have been my usual next day but i was out with family until late so went today instead)
    or wether the extra 30seconds of jogging just took me by suprise, i fully intend to smash it tomorrow. (like with w1d1 i redid and completed second time)
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    How long to you ride the bike before running? I don't know that I'd do that.
    [/quote]

i ususally start every gym session off with 35mins on the bike then hit the treadmil. this was not a problem during week1 but today i really felt it. so im think on C25K days ill just start on the treadmil and the do the bike after if i can still use my legs lol
    [/quote]
    In my opinion, on running (C25K) days, you should focus on running. If you still feel up to it after you are done, you can jump on the bike then.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

i do go slow, my jog is litterally only just a step up from a speed walk, I was jogging at same speed as i was last week.
    Like I said in PP i sang my way through week1 day3. so had no problem with breathing that day lol.

i dont know if its because id not been to the gym since friday morning (Sunday would have been my usual next day but i was out with family until late so went today instead)
    or wether the extra 30seconds of jogging just took me by suprise, i fully intend to smash it tomorrow. (like with w1d1 i redid and completed second time)

I am surprised it had that much of an impact. I very much doubt it was because you missed Sunday, if only the body knew to that accuracy. It may have more to do with being out late, hydration etc. Just see how you go next time out. I would be tempted to wait another day and go for it on Wednesday but that may not fit your schedule.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options

I am surprised it had that much of an impact. I very much doubt it was because you missed Sunday, if only the body knew to that accuracy. It may have more to do with being out late, hydration etc. Just see how you go next time out. I would be tempted to wait another day and go for it on Wednesday but that may not fit your schedule.

well i got to the gym on Sundays, tuesdays, wednesday, and fridays, so i could skip C25K tomorrow and do some biking and weights and then do W2D1 on wednesday.
    My asthma is still a bit up and down so maybe its just that that sent my breathing out the window, id taken my reliever before i started but by the time id done the 4th jog my chest was tight and was wheezing slightly which is why i cooled down then instead of carrying on.

what would be worse than being the fat girl in the gym?? the fat girl being ambulanced off with an asthma attack :noway:
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    If it helps I've gone from using a reliever every day to using it as a precaution on the early morning runs. I attribute this to weight loss and fitness. You have to listen to your body, you best know your condition and capabilities. You have the attitude to nail this. Keep going and good luck.
  • CeeHannah
    CeeHannah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just completed week 1 day 1 yesterday. I feel it today!! Wont run again until Thursday but I am looking forward to it!
  • egocentronix
    Options
    Fantastic news, don't worry about the distance, just do the time. This is about prepping your body to take the stresses of running. Just make sure you are not going too fast, I found it really difficult to get the pace on the treadmill right for me. As the session went on I found I wanted to slow it down but my ego got in the way. I found it easier outside when there is no belt continuously moving, however I recognise in your situation that may not be that easy. If your shins continue to hurt you may need to just do a few weeks of walking first. It may not be what you want to hear, but you need to get your body used to the stress. It will get stronger during the rest days. A few extra weeks at the start will be lost when you get into your running. Slow and easy, the tortoise wins this race every time.

Hey Thanks! Appreiciate the info. I finished W1D2 today and found that it was a lot easier if I didn't watch the timer. So I just started listening to the music and watching the calories burned go up. I did increase my speeds slightly, not much though. Like you mention finding a good pace is difficult. But I think I found it this time. I get what you're saying about the distance as well, it's just nice to see some kind of improvement/progress. Went 1.37 miles today in the same time. I know it's only been two days, but I'm optimistic yet scared about week 2. I have a feeling I'll be repeating it at least once. haha..
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Hey Thanks! Appreiciate the info. I finished W1D2 today and found that it was a lot easier if I didn't watch the timer. So I just started listening to the music and watching the calories burned go up. I did increase my speeds slightly, not much though. Like you mention finding a good pace is difficult. But I think I found it this time. I get what you're saying about the distance as well, it's just nice to see some kind of improvement/progress. Went 1.37 miles today in the same time. I know it's only been two days, but I'm optimistic yet scared about week 2. I have a feeling I'll be repeating it at least once. haha..

You're welcome, worrying about the distance will potentially be your downfall. Been there, I broke down when I tried C25k before due to going too fast and stressing my body too much. I was chasing that need to feel that I was getting better. You are getting better by going longer not further. Just take your time, I know you will feel you are not getting anywhere but by taking it slowly at the start you will be running for 30mins before you know it.

Good luck and well done for sticking to your plan.

Edited to take the comments out of the quotes and smelling errors (sic)
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been threatening to commit to this for ages. I hate running (for no good reason) and want to get over it (and myself!) :laugh:

Anyway, I did W1D1 this morning, mainly by accident - I was at the gym, on the treadmill (which I have been using for 30m brisk walking as a warm up), I was bored, had the download on my MP3 player and just hit the play button.

It was OK and the 30m flew by! To be continued with W1D2 on Sunday.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Well done and on the dreadmill too. I never found dreadmill sessions went quickly, I was sooo glad when the gyms aircon failed and I went outside during week 4. I enjoy "free" running so much more than the hamster belt.

I look forward to hearing about your future successes.

Check out here to join the rest of the crew

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1364944-daily-check-in-thread

You just need to join the group to post. Have fun.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This thread has been pretty quiet? Where are all our runners??

Did my first official 5k this past weekend in Ottawa at the Canada Army Run! What a great event! It was a very proud moment for me as I ran the entire thing. I have done many 5k runs but was always interval running so this one was my big goal after completing the C25K program. I will admit that the last km was a struggle, I had to keep reminding myself that I had worked very hard for this moment so I kept those legs moving and I did it!! I ran from the start line and didn't stop until I crossed the finish line. Finished with a time of 36:25. So exhilarating!!! I smiled on the inside as I passed all the people walking knowing that once that was me and also feeling proud that they were on the same journey that I had just recently taken.

You can do it! Don't give up, stay with the program, it is your friend! When I began I couldn't run 30 seconds without being out of breath and feeling like death LOL

ArmyRunPhoto_zps44057dc3.png
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    This thread...this thread is mocking me...

Last Wednesday evening I completed Week 5 Day 2 and I was raring to go for Day 3. Chomping at the bit in fact. Nothing could stop me achieving the big kahuna of 20 minutes non stop running. Nothing!

What happened?

I got a viral infection and I still feel crap so I haven't run for an entire week.

If it lasts much longer I may in fact become homicidal.

This running lark is a bit addictive eh?
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Carla - congrats on your run, there is daily activity on the check in thread as part of the C25k group thread above. The programme does work. If you want to go faster you will need to do more miles. You ought to consider the C210k zenlabs app also free, which will lead you on a further 6 week journey. I used that app to get my 5k time down.

msf74 - well viral infections happen, just keep that chomping at the bit feeling going. Redo the start of week 5 and see how that goes when you feel up to it and take it from there. You will get to do 20 minutes after this small delay. It does get addictive, I even went for a 4 mile run in the dark and in the rain this morning. I would have mocked you if you said I would be doing that on June 15 when I started C25k.:bigsmile:

Have fun
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    This thread has been pretty quiet? Where are all our runners??

Did my first official 5k this past weekend in Ottawa at the Canada Army Run! What a great event! It was a very proud moment for me as I ran the entire thing. I have done many 5k runs but was always interval running so this one was my big goal after completing the C25K program. I will admit that the last km was a struggle, I had to keep reminding myself that I had worked very hard for this moment so I kept those legs moving and I did it!! I ran from the start line and didn't stop until I crossed the finish line. Finished with a time of 36:25. So exhilarating!!! I smiled on the inside as I passed all the people walking knowing that once that was me and also feeling proud that they were on the same journey that I had just recently taken.

You can do it! Don't give up, stay with the program, it is your friend! When I began I couldn't run 30 seconds without being out of breath and feeling like death LOL

ArmyRunPhoto_zps44057dc3.png

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOO HOO WAY TO GO!
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    I did week 8 day 1 yesterday. I had to walk twice for 30 seconds each time. In retrospect, I don't think I had to walk, but at the time I did... UGH. Tomorrow I will do day 2 which is the same plan as week 8 day 1 so we shall see.

I'm nervous I am almost done but I guess I am doing it! LOL It's hard to imagine I am going to run my first 5k on November 1st...
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am on W8D3 for my next run. I have a silly question. I have Rhapsody as it works with C25K but wear I live the music keeps cutting out. Any ideas on how to do music? I want something that will work with my running program. Thanks Mary Ann.
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have 1 W left. I am running 1.91 miles in 14:20 pace. Haven't reached the 3.1 distance yet. Going to C210K next any thoughts? Not at 3.1 yet. Mary Ann