Must-Read INFO on Metabolism, Gaining and Losing

Options

Replies

• greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Let's get some definitions going because this might be fun...

Framework of Intermittent Fasting:

- Some people follow IF within a daily framework 18 hours fasting and 6 feeding.
    - Others follow a framework of 5:2 - with 500-600 cals and relatively unmoderated feeding on the other days.

and there are numerous variations of these.

My personal position is that, while meal frequency does have some effects on a variety of hormones, it really is a question of preference and not the single solution for all in terms of general weight loss. Thermogenesis studies tend to show that energy balance is really more about total calories than meal frequency or meal timing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592618

However, if it helps with personal satiety, organization, long term adherence it has value for the individual. In terms of people with either issues with insulin sensitivity or athletes or contest prepping it might also make further sense but I do not currently see it as useful for myself or even as a first recommendation to the majority of people learning new eating habits.

Now, OP, which type of IF are you talking about? Because 5:2 IF certainly does restrict calories for a day well below 800 and I have not seen a study suggesting these people are experiencing metabolic damage.

Are you back again?

REPORTED, for uneducated, 16 year old bullying.

What? Are you calling Evgen the bully? He's usually the most articulate and well-informed person on any thread I read. Maybe you meant someone else? Now I'm really confused. Maybe I just need more coffee.... excuse me....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    LOLOLOL OP.

Yes, you're 22.

I knew everything when I was 22 too.

:smile:

I couldn't read the post with all the capitalizations, either
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    LOLOLOL OP.

Yes, you're 22.

Oh yeah, I did too.

In to be educated.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Let's get some definitions going because this might be fun...

Framework of Intermittent Fasting:

- Some people follow IF within a daily framework 18 hours fasting and 6 feeding.
    - Others follow a framework of 5:2 - with 500-600 cals and relatively unmoderated feeding on the other days.

and there are numerous variations of these.

My personal position is that, while meal frequency does have some effects on a variety of hormones, it really is a question of preference and not the single solution for all in terms of general weight loss. Thermogenesis studies tend to show that energy balance is really more about total calories than meal frequency or meal timing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592618

However, if it helps with personal satiety, organization, long term adherence it has value for the individual. In terms of people with either issues with insulin sensitivity or athletes or contest prepping it might also make further sense but I do not currently see it as useful for myself or even as a first recommendation to the majority of people learning new eating habits.

Now, OP, which type of IF are you talking about? Because 5:2 IF certainly does restrict calories for a day well below 800 and I have not seen a study suggesting these people are experiencing metabolic damage.

Are you back again?

REPORTED, for uneducated, 16 year old bullying.

What? Are you calling Evgen the bully? He's usually the most articulate and well-informed person on any thread I read. Maybe you meant someone else? Now I'm really confused. Maybe I just need more coffee.... excuse me....
    Coffee and sarcasm font would have helped with the above post. It's all good. :laugh:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I am hear to tell you that in order to lose weight and gain weight with your same optimal metabolism, your process MUST be done slowly. Yes, You will have major weight loss cutting at a 500-1000c deficit, BUT this is too much too soon.

You want your body to have AS MANY CHANCES as POSSIBLE to LOSE WEIGHT. If you do a MAJOR DEFICIT say, in 2 weeks- to a month you dropped allllll this weight, but now, you start adding excercise, and cutting even more calories. Your metabolism is at an all time low with the amount of shock and detriment you put going on a sudden change. This is commonly seen in body builders, they have trainers that put them on 800c diets, 2 weeks later they can't lose any more.
    For about nine weeks, I've maintained a fairly large caloric deficit. Based on what I've lost, it's been somewhere in the range of 2000 per day, net. I haven't seen plateaus or the inability to continue to lose weight yet, even though I am outside of the timeframes you mention.

At what point, in your experience, and given your expertise, should my 2000 calorie deficit make me unable to lose any more weight?
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    In to witness the $hitstorm. OP, I hope you have on your suit of armour for opening Pandora's box.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What to do? Lose weight AT THE SLIGHTEST CHANGE you CAN. for example, you want to lose weight, and your maintenance is 1600c. WEEK ONE- eat 1500c, see no change? Week 2, deduct 50 more calories, so now you are at 150 Calorie defecit, keep using that deficit if its working for you, THEN once you plateau, keep deducting so slowly, Week 3 and 4, now your at a 200 calorie defecit, (1400c a day) .....
    Oh yes I'm sure you're going to see a lot of change on your 100 calorie deficit. A whole 1/5 of a pound per week.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    In to be educated by a 22 year old with a CAPS LOCK obsession.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately....IN
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In.
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    "IF has no food crashes during the day, when people think of fasting they think of no food, obvs your uneducated because of the lack of response lmfao"

If you're going to call people uneducated and act like you have a far superior intellect, you should really learn how to use proper grammar and punctuation. You should also learn the difference between your & you're. At 22 you really should have learned that by now. Especially since you're so educated.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What's up with the hairtrigger posters today? I'm in here too. I love a good meltdown with extra CAPS LOCK.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    LOLOLOL OP.

Yes, you're 22.

Yeah, right? At 22 I was a “Super Genius!” It was only after years and years of trials and tribulations that I finally figured out that ACME makes crap products! But I’m still learning just how much I don’t know!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This is great. I might as well get in on the action:

OP, where did you "study nutrition" between the ages of 19 and 22?
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP. You may have had some information to share, but I can't take an author or their advice seriously if they can't even present the information clearly and effectively, especially given the number of word processing programs out there that will correct things for you. You might have better luck editing the piece and presenting it to the community again once it's in a format people can read.

^^^ This. Most definitely this.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    (Opens forum door slowly. Looks around). "This is not the forum I was looking for." (Slowly creeps backward toward forum's entrance. Meekly closes the forum's door.)

I hate it, at my age, when I am referred to as an uneduated 16 year old. I wanted to be 14 again! (Stamps foot)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I have watched Layne Norton's "BioLayne" video logs about metabolic damage but I am pretty sure he stated his observations were anecdotal based on his experiences with prepping contestants...
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Briefly about me, I am 22, have studied nutrition for 3 years. I have played ice hockey for years and briefly boxed. I love food, exercising and helping those with their fitness goals. I have trained in the gym, gained and lost. I am 5'8-5'9, 145 lbs. I have tried everything under the sun, all the diets, the fads, out of curiosity and experience. Calories in vs Calories out is the simple truth, I also practice intermittent fasting on a day to day basis. The theory I presented above is also based on my experience, it is sound and valid advice from a doctor and body builder Layne Norton. Layne is a role model and mentor of mine.

In, because I always like to be schooled by someone who knows it all at less than half my age, especially when they're talking about learning based on their (wealth of) experience...
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    This thread has the potential to be very entertaining.

godzilla_zps7630d8e3.gif
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Time for a little “Paradigm breaking!” What we need is a little “Terrible” Terry Tate up in this post!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94&noredirect=1
This discussion has been closed.