Hunting vs. Endangered Hunting

Options
cp46449
cp46449 Posts: 13
Hello All!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/kendall-takes-wild-facebook-controversy

To get a little more opinions of this subject, I wanted to post it on here rather than my hometown area! The link above is a girl who apparently hunts as well as hunt endangered mammals! At first, I was shocked! How can a little gal like that take on a huge-*kitten* elephant hahaha :) It is pretty sad though seeing her hunt those types of animals (as well as other people who do the same). I am all for hunting deer or whatever type of "legal" wildlife is around during hunting season, but what is the reward for killing an exotic animal?

I am from a rural/country lifestyle community so I get the pros/cons of hunting, but I wanted a more wide variety of opinions on this subject! I am NOT (repeat NOT) trying to start anything or causing ruffled feathers, I am just curious!

Thanks Everyone!

Replies

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    there are no cons to hunting. im not a hunter, but i say hunt away and the whole endangered list is such a stupid thing anyway. Endangered lists is causing the entire drought in california.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hunter or particularly eco conscious, so I have no opinion other than "I'd hit that."
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    there are no cons to hunting. im not a hunter, but i say hunt away and the whole endangered list is such a stupid thing anyway. Endangered lists is causing the entire drought in california.

wut?
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options

wut?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204619004574318621482123090
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Even some animals such as the elephant need to be hunted in some areas. Take for example, Botswana. Elephants in that country are overpopulated, and not only destroy crops, but are deforesting the country. The elephants will come in huge herds, pushing over trees to eat the tender leaves near the top....then move on to push over more. They trample and destroy farmers' fields and villagers gardens. In these poverty stricken areas, a hunter comes in from the United States, or wherever, bringing a huge amount of money into the economy. They pay a license fee, they pay the outfitter, and the trackers, who are local. When they kill an elephant, that is usually selected specifically because of its destructive nature......they immediately pay another huge fee that goes into the local economy. (often in excess of $50,000) Then, the local people typically are allowed to skin the elephant and they use all of its flesh for food....food that they would not otherwise have. The hunter gets the trophy, the excitement of the chase, and the memories of the hunt, and the environment and the local economy is boosted because of it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand trophy hunting.

Good job - you murdered an animal to decorate your home. You're so cool.

Hunting for food, and population control, I have no issue with.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I am an avid hunter but have not hunted anything really "novel" or "exotic" (I basically eat everything I kill with the exception of vermin). I would say that the hunt of such an animal would be for the purpose of excitement as well as to be able to put yourself in an environment or ecoscape that is completely different from the one you are familiar with. Most of the people that I know go on such hunts to get themselves a prize more than a viable prey.

It is a theoretical "next level" to the hobby.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    Options
    Even some animals such as the elephant need to be hunted in some areas. Take for example, Botswana. Elephants in that country are overpopulated, and not only destroy crops, but are deforesting the country. The elephants will come in huge herds, pushing over trees to eat the tender leaves near the top....then move on to push over more. They trample and destroy farmers' fields and villagers gardens. In these poverty stricken areas, a hunter comes in from the United States, or wherever, bringing a huge amount of money into the economy. They pay a license fee, they pay the outfitter, and the trackers, who are local. When they kill an elephant, that is usually selected specifically because of its destructive nature......they immediately pay another huge fee that goes into the local economy. (often in excess of $50,000) Then, the local people typically are allowed to skin the elephant and they use all of its flesh for food....food that they would not otherwise have. The hunter gets the trophy, the excitement of the chase, and the memories of the hunt, and the environment and the local economy is boosted because of it.

Very true.
  • geturgoat
    geturgoat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ironanimal put it perfectly.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    I am an avid hunter but have not hunted anything really "novel" or "exotic" (I basically eat everything I kill with the exception of vermin). I would say that the hunt of such an animal would be for the purpose of excitement as well as to be able to put yourself in an environment or ecoscape that is completely different from the one you are familiar with. Most of the people that I know go on such hunts to get themselves a prize more than a viable prey.

It is a theoretical "next level" to the hobby.

PREACH!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My father is an avid sportman but I do not hunt, although I have done trapshooting and like firing guns at the range. I do not have a problem with hunting so long as it does not cross the line into poaching. Hunting endangered animals or only for trophies is just wrong. Eat the animal, use it's fur, etc. It is much better than eating factory farmed animals that are sick and live in horrible conditions. At least the hunted animal got to live out it's life in the wild.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well I'm from the UK so my opinion will be dictated by my experiences in our way of life, our laws and our morals. Is the species threatening human life? Is it spreading diseases? Is it endangering other species (see american grey squirrel killing off Red Squirrels)? Is it threatening city essential structures? Is it for food that cannot be farmed safely? Is it done humanely?

If it doesn't meet the above then no "hunting" for me.
    Again by my country's experiences, laws and morals. No judgement on other countries.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I am not a hunter, but have no issue with it in general when it is done as part of a responsible population management system. I do, however, find it interesting that Ernest Hemingway was uncomfortable hunting Elephants specifically because of his perception of their intelligence, and I would trust him to be something of an expert on big game hunting. From the perspective of the sciences, he was ahead of his time on this.

Elephants are one of the few species most behaviorists acknowledge as having very advanced intelligence, likely signaling being self aware. In other words, there is evidence they mourn the loss of their family and are aware of what is happening to them at an individual level. There is advanced communication between individuals including subsonic signalling used to communicate through vibrations sent through the ground over vast distances that wasn't even discovered until very recently. To me, the killing of species at that level of intelligence creates an added level of ethical dilemma well beyond the general consideration of endangered species status.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've never hunted myself but know several people who do and have enjoyed the spoils of their success (mmm wild hare). Mostly I believe in hunting in the more traditional sense where one hunts for the food and resources they need. If you kill an animal it should be because you need to feed yourself and/or your family and maybe even to produce products that you can use or sell (hides, etc). These days most hunt within the confines of the law which provides population control.

Hunting purely for sport, especially when it involves endangered species, makes absolutely no sense to me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

wut?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204619004574318621482123090

Your basis that the Endangered Species Act is causing the California Drought is from an opinion piece from 2009? No peer reviewed scientific studies or anything? I bet I could find some that say there are cons to hunting if it's not done properly, or that we have too many people living in areas of the US where water is not plentiful enough to sustain the population.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am an avid hunter. I eat everything I kill except coyote. I don't really have an issue with this, I guess for myself I wouldn't kill an animal unless I see the value in it (food or to help reduce population). What I don't like about these exotic hunts is most of them are on preserves where the animals are basically confined to very large areas but ultimately can't get out. That really isn't hunting to me. To each there own, it's not for me but I also understand the rush and thrill of it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Is it illegal?

Does it legitimately affect someone in a negative way (e.g. trespassing on someone's property, not "killing animals makes me sad")?

If the answer to both of those questions is no, then I do not give a single flying crap what other people do.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am a hunter. I was raised on processing the kills made by my parents. I've been butchering deer since I was old enough to hold a knife without cutting myself. I didn't start pulling the trigger until I was around 23. The only pride I take in hunting is in a swift kill via a great shot and being able to provide food for my family and friends. I take no joy in killing an animal and we only kill for food.

I personally don't understand killing for a trophy. I do participate in a deer depopulation program for an area that is severely over populated with deer. The benefits of reducing the deer population are numerous. Namely though it helps reduce the number of cases of lymes disease, it keeps our forest ecosystems from being as damaged by "deer browse", and it keeps the remaining deer healthier because they don't have to complete as much for food. Programs like these also give kills to "Hunters for the Hungry" which provides venison to feed the homeless.

I personally won't ever shoot for a trophy.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I am all for hunting for population control (ex: deer) but endangered hunting is ridiculous and irresponsible. Other than areas which it is needed to protect your family (ex: aggressive elephants), it shouldn't be done.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    Options
    I am not a hunter, but have no issue with it in general when it is done as part of a responsible population management system. I do, however, find it interesting that Ernest Hemingway was uncomfortable hunting Elephants specifically because of his perception of their intelligence, and I would trust him to be something of an expert on big game hunting. From the perspective of the sciences, he was ahead of his time on this.

Elephants are one of the few species most behaviorists acknowledge as having very advanced intelligence, likely signaling being self aware. In other words, there is evidence they mourn the loss of their family and are aware of what is happening to them at an individual level. There is advanced communication between individuals including subsonic signalling used to communicate through vibrations sent through the ground over vast distances that wasn't even discovered until very recently. To me, the killing of species at that level of intelligence creates an added level of ethical dilemma well beyond the general consideration of endangered species status.

Cows have been shown to morn. And pigs are known to be one of the smartest animals...

I guess they must be tastier to most people than general ethics.
This discussion has been closed.