Hunting vs. Endangered Hunting

Options

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    And the deer population wouldn't be out of control if we didnt hunt and kill wolves or encroach on their habitat. Humans created the problem of over population in deer by removing the predators.

Also, I do not eat meat, dairy or eggs. I don't contribute anything towards animal suffering. That includes hunting.

Well hello All Mighty!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also, the girl who said she would eat bacon even if the pig "asked" her not to... You are an absolutely vile human.

So how much time do you spend in the field actively researching on conservation and ecological sustainability? Or educating the public about responsible animal and environmental management?
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    there are no cons to hunting. im not a hunter, but i say hunt away and the whole endangered list is such a stupid thing anyway. Endangered lists is causing the entire drought in california.

wut?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970204619004574318621482123090

Your basis that the Endangered Species Act is causing the California Drought is from an opinion piece from 2009? No peer reviewed scientific studies or anything? I bet I could find some that say there are cons to hunting if it's not done properly, or that we have too many people living in areas of the US where water is not plentiful enough to sustain the population.

that was one quick example. Im not your google machine lol. The drought IS man made based on environmental wacko decisions.

And our severe lack of rainfall isn't a huge factor? No.
  • whatshouldieat
    whatshouldieat Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What makes the animal exotic? Is it because we do not have it in our back yards. If it is done professionally and by the law, I say hunt away. If it is posted online, I am sure it was done legally, right!!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    And the deer population wouldn't be out of control if we didnt hunt and kill wolves or encroach on their habitat. Humans created the problem of over population in deer by removing the predators.

Also, I do not eat meat, dairy or eggs. I don't contribute anything towards animal suffering. That includes hunting.

Well hello All Mighty!

^^^:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ^^^
  • FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also, the girl who said she would eat bacon even if the pig "asked" her not to... You are an absolutely vile human.

So how much time do you spend in the field actively researching on conservation and ecological sustainability? Or educating the public about responsible animal and environmental management?

Quite a bit since I have a degree in animal science and working my way to veterinary school so I can work with exotic animals making sure they are getting the best treatment and enrichment possible.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

No, she is not a vile person. She is actually a very nice, smart, funny and educated young lady. And just FYI, on a good day, if you lick her, she actually TASTES like bacon....♥
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Quite a bit since I have a degree in animal science and working my way to veterinary school so I can work with exotic animals making sure they are getting the best treatment and enrichment possible.

Then you might want to consider your approach. As someone who has been working in marine ecology and behavior for a while, calling people vile human beings doesn't usually encourage people to listen to what I have to say. I'm not a fan of shark fining but I do not call my students (or their parents) vile human beings because their parents happen to own a restaurant that serves shark fin soup.

ETA: Personal attacks are against the rules and you can be reported.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

Did you know that most makeup is tested on lab animals?
    How about those leather shoes and belt?
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    any kind of hunting is pretty pathetic and disgusting

my dad is a hunter so I grew up with it and have been around it my entire life

zero respect for it
    So bears and mountain lions and wolves are disgusting? We're predators too, we're just the most highly intelligent and have developed technological tools for hunting, since we don't have claws and can't run as fast as alot of our prey. Why do you think we developed canine teeth hmm? Hunting isn't disgusting or cruel, it just IS (as in it's a fact of life, get used to it).
  • FauxFoxx
    Options
    You assume I wear leather and fur.. And I dont.
  • digitalbill
    Options
    I also assume you wear makeup, which you do.
    Do you have any kind of pest control in your dwelling?
    Do you work with only non-carnivorious exotic animals?
  • FauxFoxx
    Options

zero respect for it
    So bears and mountain lions and wolves are disgusting? We're predators too, we're just the most highly intelligent and have developed technological tools for hunting, since we don't have claws and can't run as fast as alot of our prey. Why do you think we developed canine teeth hmm? Hunting isn't disgusting or cruel, it just IS (as in it's a fact of life, get used to it).

These exact reasons are why humans are not carnivores or omnivores. We do not have claws. Our canines are pathetic and in fact, all herbivores have them as well. We cannot run at great speeds like predators can. Our jaws do not open wide like a predator when we eat, nor do we tend to bite and swallow like them. We mash and grind out teeth like herbivores. We also have to cook and season our meat. When was the last time you saw a lion roast a gazelle over an open flame with some lawrys season salt? Also, when we eat meat it is acidic - our body needs to balance this out and it does so by leaching calcium phosphate from our bones. The only reason humans ever ate meat was because during drought or in times where we could not find fruit or vegetables we turned to scavenging. There is literally no reason to consume meat, dairy or eggs anymore other then our own selfish reasoning. I'm sorry but a life should not have to die just for my taste buds.

Wolves, lions, cats, birds of prey all hunt out of survival. We do not need to do so anymore, regardless of what our ancestors did.. It does not apply to us anymore.
  • FauxFoxx
    Options

I do wear makeup and I only purchase from brands who do not have animal products in their products nor do they do animal testing. I live in an apartment, so I cannot control what they decide to do for pest control. I've seen zero pests here but my grandmother experienced a mouse infestation and instead of using traps and poisons, we used peppermint oil. Problem solved. I haven't specified which animals I'd like to work with yet as well.. I don't know. I wouldn't be opposed to working with carnivores because that is natural to them. They need to hunt and eat meat to survive. Humans don't.
  • digitalbill
    Options

zero respect for it

These exact reasons are why humans are not carnivores or omnivores. We do not have claws. Our canines are pathetic and in fact, all herbivores have them as well. We cannot run at great speeds like predators can. Our jaws do not open wide like a predator when we eat, nor do we tend to bite and swallow like them. We mash and grind out teeth like herbivores. We also have to cook and season our meat. When was the last time you saw a lion roast a gazelle over an open flame with some lawrys season salt? Also, when we eat meat it is acidic - our body needs to balance this out and it does so by leaching calcium phosphate from our bones. The only reason humans ever ate meat was because during drought or in times where we could not find fruit or vegetables we turned to scavenging. There is literally no reason to consume meat, dairy or eggs anymore other then our own selfish reasoning. I'm sorry but a life should not have to die just for my taste buds.

Wolves, lions, cats, birds of prey all hunt out of survival. We do not need to do so anymore, regardless of what our ancestors did.. It does not apply to us anymore.
    ...As long as you live in a place where Wal-Mart is available 24 hours a day.
    Did you know that there are lots of places in the world where the only way that they eat is by hunting?
  • digitalbill
    Options

I do wear makeup and I only purchase from brands who do not have animal products in their products nor do they do animal testing. I live in an apartment, so I cannot control what they decide to do for pest control. I've seen zero pests here but my grandmother experienced a mouse infestation and instead of using traps and poisons, we used peppermint oil. Problem solved. I haven't specified which animals I'd like to work with yet as well.. I don't know. I wouldn't be opposed to working with carnivores because that is natural to them. They need to hunt and eat meat to survive. Humans don't.
    So, if you work with lions, you would have no problem feeding them meat that was donated by some hunter?
    I think it is pretty easy to stand on a soap box and look down on those who do things differently then you do.
    I personally think anyone who would intentionally contribute to the confinment of exotic animals should be required to live with the animals for a solid year, in the enclosure.
    Anyone who would intentionally work with exotic animals are contributing to the horrible practice of removing the freedom from these wonderful beasts.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

What are your thoughts on the farming and consumption of insects as an alternative protein source? Some amount of protein is required in the diet, and baring mass agricultural practices which can be environmentally destructive it is difficult to produce the necessary amount of plant based protein required to sustain the global human population so one possible source of alternative protein is insects, however, there is some evidence to suggest arthropods have advanced enough neural systems to experience pain, so which is more important? Saving the insects from feeling pain or preventing environmental damage that has the potential to affect many species at the ecological level?
  • FauxFoxx
    Options
    Your point? If you live in an area where you can only subsist on the food you grow and the animals you hunt I'm not going to judge you. What's the other option? Starvation? No. The point being that a majority of us on this forum do NOT live in an area like that. It is entirely possible to have a diet that does not consist of meat, dairy or eggs. The problem is people get it in their mind that they cannot live without those things and it's simply not true. You know who can really not live without milk? A calf. You're a grown man... You'll be fine, lol.
  • FauxFoxx
    Options
    Insects are considered sentient beings. I would not be for farming them for the sole purpose of consumption. I know that some societies do eat them as they are a source of protein but, it's possible to find other sources.

Also I never said I was going to work in a zoo??? I don't know where you're getting your assumptions from but you're incorrect. There are other ways to work with these creatures that does NOT involve them being exploited.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    The Most Dangerous Game, now that's some exotic hunting
This discussion has been closed.