a rant about sports fans

Options
BTinLC
BTinLC Posts: 30
I understand that some people can get really into a game, but what really irks me is that some fans complain about actions that they couldn't possibly do better if they were in that scenario. Example: the blocked penalty kick. Everyone was screaming "How could you miss that?!?!" I dunno, maybe because the other team was good? Maybe because the players are freaking exhausted? Maybe because crap happens? But everyone that was yelling was severely out of shape and acted like if they were in the game that America would have dominated.

End rant.

Replies

• no_russian
    no_russian Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Frustration can make people say silly things
  • CamilleJackie350
    Options
    riveting tale
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    ...and how do you feel about otherwise peace-loving people screaming "Kill him!!!!!" at the TV (or field) during games?
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Some fans are not paid THAT amount of money to do it... just saying...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    boring-soccer-copy.jpg
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I hate watching shows like The Biggest Loser or Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition with my mother because she says things like, "All you have to do is run harder! It's just 40 pounds!" She says these things and it infuriates me because she never had to diet in her life and is very sedentary.
  • BTinLC
    Options
    riveting tale

Was unaware I was here to solely entertain you.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i am an eagles fan and recently re-watched our 2004 SUper Bowl loss that was on at a bar and the game was driving me nuts. Now i know it was 10 years ago and I cant change the past, but as a sports fan im 97% insane lol.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As someone who follows college sports, my biggest pet peeve is sidewalk, t-shirt fans (ie. people who did not attend the university or do not donate to the school) demanding excellence, calling for firings of coaches, or trashing recruits when they decide to attend another college.

End rant.
  • BTinLC
    Options
    i am an eagles fan and recently re-watched our 2004 SUper Bowl loss that was on at a bar and the game was driving me nuts. Now i know it was 10 years ago and I cant change the past, but as a sports fan im 97% insane lol.

Made the mistake of going to a bar when u of l and u of k played each other...I live in Kentucky.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I understand that some people can get really into a game, but what really irks me is that some fans complain about actions that they couldn't possibly do better if they were in that scenario. Example: the blocked penalty kick. Everyone was screaming "How could you miss that?!?!" I dunno, maybe because the other team was good? Maybe because the players are freaking exhausted? Maybe because crap happens? But everyone that was yelling was severely out of shape and acted like if they were in the game that America would have dominated.

End rant.

i love sports. I love a lot of sports. but when I ask something like "how could you miss that?" it's usually a rhetorical question. I know that crap happens. i know that's the way sports go. but it's usually in reference to something i have seen a player do many times, so to see something go unexpectedly prompts the rhetorical question.

I don't really expect an answer. and i don't think anyone else really does either.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

End rant.

Well it's pretty obvious that only a small percent of people could even compete in professional soccer but they aren't playing for fun, they are playing because fans come out to see them, and buy their jerseys, and the products they endorse and $10 beers. They are there for the fans and the fans should be able to be critical.

Also, just because you're not physically capable of playing a sport doesn't mean that you aren't capable of being an expert on it and have a valid opinion.

Finally, the word fan is short for fanatic so when I'm yelling at the GA Bulldogs on Saturdays through my TV screen I'm certain they can hear me and are very upset that they have disappointed me. :bigsmile:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    boring-soccer-copy.jpg

Agree. Or any other sport, IMO. I just do not nor can make myself care who has possession of what ball, ever.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    As someone who follows college sports, my biggest pet peeve is sidewalk, t-shirt fans (ie. people who did not attend the university or do not donate to the school) demanding excellence, calling for firings of coaches, or trashing recruits when they decide to attend another college.

End rant.

So only people who attended a university or donates to it are allowed to be fans?:huh:
  • BoatsnHose
    Options

I was a Sr. in high school and got so drunk and pissed off that I broke my hand by punching a wall that game. I will never forgive McNabb by vomiting in the huddle on the potential game winning drive:laugh:
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

Made the mistake of going to a bar when u of l and u of k played each other...I live in Kentucky.

i have dyslexia. I read that as "lets make a mistake tonight when u and i go to the bar, do you live in kentucky" maybe im wrong, but thats what you said right? lol jk
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Because when an athele gets paid a ton of money for playing a sport, people expect perfection, I guess.
  • BoatsnHose
    Options

End rant.

So only people who attended a university or donates to it are allowed to be fans?:huh:

No but people who have no affiliation a school other than they bought a T-shirt at Walmart when the team started winning piss me off. These are often the fans that give fanbases a bad reputation and send death threats to recruits when they choose another school.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

End rant.

Oh, sure, they can be fans. But if they are not invested in the team in some way, what right do they have to demand anything? Kind of like being a citizen of your country, and complaining about the government if you do not even vote.
  • BTinLC
    Options

i have dyslexia. I read that as "lets make a mistake tonight when u and i go to the bar, do you live in kentucky" maybe im wrong, but thats what you said right? lol jk

Hahaha no, sorry. I meant university of Louisville and university of Kentucky :p