a rant about sports fans

Options

Replies

• LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    As someone who follows college sports, my biggest pet peeve is sidewalk, t-shirt fans (ie. people who did not attend the university or do not donate to the school) demanding excellence, calling for firings of coaches, or trashing recruits when they decide to attend another college.

End rant.

So only people who attended a university or donates to it are allowed to be fans?:huh:

Oh, sure, they can be fans. But if they are not invested in the team in some way, what right do they have to demand anything? Kind of like being a citizen of your country, and complaining about the government if you do not even vote.

I disagree, if you're a fan of a college team and you buy merch or tix to games you're certainly financially supporting the team.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options
    i am an eagles fan and recently re-watched our 2004 SUper Bowl loss that was on at a bar and the game was driving me nuts. Now i know it was 10 years ago and I cant change the past, but as a sports fan im 97% insane lol.

Made the mistake of going to a bar when u of l and u of k played each other...I live in Kentucky.

i have dyslexia. I read that as "lets make a mistake tonight when u and i go to the bar, do you live in kentucky" maybe im wrong, but thats what you said right? lol jk

Hahaha no, sorry. I meant university of Louisville and university of Kentucky :p

translated: "sorry, I meant to give you my home address in Louisville, Kentucky" lol
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    It is what it is.

Being a sports fan myself, I can relate to doing things like that. You just get caught up in the heat of the game, and say those things. I think every sports fan has done it. I can't imagine a die-hard hockey fan, during the last game of the Stanley Cup Finals, says "Oh WOW that was such a good try! Way to go for missing!"
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    mP88fky.gif
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    i am an eagles fan and recently re-watched our 2004 SUper Bowl loss that was on at a bar and the game was driving me nuts. Now i know it was 10 years ago and I cant change the past, but as a sports fan im 97% insane lol.

Your only mistake...is being an Eagles fan...:laugh:
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    I love it when that happens.
    Banter get's really good from all these so called "coaches"....who have never taken part in the sport in the first place.....

The World Cup just brings them all out - globally...lol
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    As someone who follows college sports, my biggest pet peeve is sidewalk, t-shirt fans (ie. people who did not attend the university or do not donate to the school) demanding excellence, calling for firings of coaches, or trashing recruits when they decide to attend another college.

End rant.

So only people who attended a university or donates to it are allowed to be fans?:huh:

No but people who have no affiliation a school other than they bought a T-shirt at Walmart when the team started winning piss me off. These are often the fans that give fanbases a bad reputation and send death threats to recruits when they choose another school.

So now you're saying you don't like the bandwagon fans? That's different from your first post.
    I'm not a fan of bandwagoners either but again if they are buying the product and stuff then they are investing in the team. Obviously death threats are dumb.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

End rant.

Oh, sure, they can be fans. But if they are not invested in the team in some way, what right do they have to demand anything? Kind of like being a citizen of your country, and complaining about the government if you do not even vote.

I disagree, if you're a fan of a college team and you buy merch or tix to games you're certainly financially supporting the team.

Yep. If you go to the games, support the teams financially, I agree.... but if you just buy a shirt in Walmart that says "Go Dawgs", and that shirt was made in South Korea with cotton imported fromo Bangladesh and screen printing from the People's Republic., and never go to the games and buy the team merch.......that really is not an investment in the team.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

End rant.

This is up there with one of the snobbiest things I've ever read.

I didn't go to college because neither my parents nor I could afford even a community college, let alone a major University. So you're saying that even though I pay damned good money for tickets to University of Texas football games, I'm a "sidewalk fan" and am therefore unable to have an opinion?

L
    O
    L

OP, people talk a lot of s*it during games, and of course they can't play better. There's even a name for it: armchair quarterbacking. It's just part of the culture of sports in general.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

You obviously don't live in Alabama - you are invested in a team just by being born here. :laugh:

So how do you handle professional teams, I don't own part of the NY Giants but I sure yell at them a lot (especially this past year). I think most fans feel they are loyal to their teams, by attending games ($$$$) and buying their merchandise so they do have a "vested" interest.
  • headofphat
    Options

End rant.

^^exactly.

What kind of investment into a team are you talking about? If i pay $100 for a ticket, $20 to park, $30 on 3 beers, $100 on a jersey then I am invested. It's not the same as complaining about politicians if you're not a voter. And on a side note, just because you don't vote doesn't mean you're not a citizen of a country and you still have the right to be critical of the decisions your government makes.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options

End rant.

Yep. If you go to the games, support the teams financially, I agree.... but if you just buy a shirt in Walmart that says "Go Dawgs", and that shirt was made in South Korea with cotton imported fromo Bangladesh and screen printing from the People's Republic., and never go to the games and buy the team merch.......that really is not an investment in the team.

actually, if you buy it in walmart, regardless of where its made, the money kicks back to the school.
  • LoneWolf_70
    Options

Your only mistake...is being an Eagles fan...:laugh:

wow, are we letting cowboys or giants fans in this thread?
  • DBoone85
    Options
    oops.
  • DBoone85
    Options
    You obviously don't live in Alabama - you are invested in a team just by being born here. :laugh:

So, are you invested in the Tide, or War Eagle?

I lived in Alabama for a while....War Eagle all the way.

But I am grossly invested in Auburn, so I can fuss if I want to. But I don't, I just cheer, and flash my boobs when they do something great......:smile:
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Couple things...

1) For the most part I agree with you, my least favorite is, "That is unacceptable" like they as a consumer need to be given reparations because they are so disappointed in the performance

2) Fan is short for fanatic for a reason :)
  • headofphat
    Options

End rant.

So now we have to search out and buy products of your team that are made in America? Good luck with that.
    You have to go to a game to be a fan? What if you're from GA, live in California but you're a Dawgs fan? To be critical of a team now that person has to fly out to Athens every Saturday and pay a *kitten* ton of money to watch a game? You do know that they are broadcast in HD on tv right?

Still not following the logic here.
  • DBoone85
    Options

End rant.

actually, if you buy it in walmart, regardless of where its made, the money kicks back to the school.

Maybe a little bit.....but 5% of a $8.00 shirt is not like going to the university bookstore and buying a hoodie, or even a T-shirt. Yeah, they are a lot more expensive, but better quality...and in buying there at the school, from the school, they are getting a greater benefit.

Fact is, anyone has the right to holler and complain and say what they want. But they really have not earned the right to be taken seriously by the school and the administration if they do not have a real investment in the establishment.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

End rant.

Maybe a little bit.....but 5% of a $8.00 shirt is not like going to the university bookstore and buying a hoodie, or even a T-shirt. Yeah, they are a lot more expensive, but better quality...and in buying there at the school, from the school, they are getting a greater benefit.

Fact is, anyone has the right to holler and complain and say what they want. But they really have not earned the right to be taken seriously by the school and the administration if they do not have a real investment in the establishment.

Go Tigers!!!
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

End rant.

This is up there with one of the snobbiest things I've ever read.

I didn't go to college because neither my parents nor I could afford even a community college, let alone a major University. So you're saying that even though I pay damned good money for tickets to University of Texas football games, I'm a "sidewalk fan" and am therefore unable to have an opinion?

L
    O
    L

OP, people talk a lot of s*it during games, and of course they can't play better. There's even a name for it: armchair quarterbacking. It's just part of the culture of sports in general.

If you pay good money for tickets, you are not a sidewalk fan. However, alumni of a school have more of a relationship and investment with the school and it's reputation as opposed to just sports fans. That's why many alums are frustrated when they see the drunk guy at a tailgate who never finished high school talking s*** to visitors from other teams.