a rant about sports fans

Options

Replies

• JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "Soccer is finally a major sport in America!!!"

No, it's not. It was just here at the right to time to fill a void.

Air Soccer games in America on Sundays and Mondays during the Fall.
    Watch the disastrous plummet in ratings then. Why?
    Because American Football is 1000000000x more popular then soccer in America, as it should be.
    Soccer is like the movie on an airplane in America. It's there and slightly entertaining, so you watch it.
    But you would have never watched that specific movie if you could choose.

My point? Soccer will never be a major sport in America.
    Even if it won a World Cup, the ratings are insignificant compared to The World Series, Super Bowl, and NBA Championship.

*DISCLAIMER* I'm not hating on soccer. If it's your thing, good for you. Just because someone else doesn't have the same taste as you doesn't make them wrong. We all have preferences and that's what makes us individuals, no matter how unpopular those preferences are.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you buy a t shirt and "demand success from your team and refuse to give in to the others who have a loser mentality and accept mediocrity" but have no idea where to locate the commons or rec center, you're basically a tourist when you're on campus. Be nice and stay out of the way, and be aware that nobody needs your ideas on how to run the place

Still missing the logic. Now we have to have an intimate relationship with the campus? I have to know where the mess hall is to be a real fan? I'm guessing by your responses that you are a fan who donates to the school? Maybe you only buy your gear from the school bookstore (which you know where the bookstore is because you're a "real" fan)? So, being that you are a "real" fan what makes you think that anyone at the school or sports department care about your opinion? Do they survey you for your opinions on running a nickel or dime package on defense? Do they ask you if the women's basketball team should attempt to run a triangle offense? News flash to those of you who think you're "real" fans because you "invest" in the school, if you're not donating millions of dollars on an annual basis they don't care what you think.

In my opinion, you're either an alumnus, booster, a student, or a tourist. Neither is necessarily bad, but a lot of tourists get a little butthurt when they're put in their place.

Just my opinion

You have to love tough talk from someone on the internet. Kinda like a guy being critical of his favorite sports team(in your opinion of course).
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I definitely disagree. If you look at the growth of the sport over the past 20 years, and the fact that the MLS averages higher attendance than both the NBA and NHL in many years, and comparable to the MLB in many markets. Factor in that the MLS is still a virtual baby (19 years old) and the other leagues have a leg up on history - NFL (94), NHL (97) and MLB (145), NBA (68), and the success will come.

The USA will continue to be competitive on the World stage, and the popularity will continue to increase as more overseas stars come to play in the MLS, because it is NOT the "terrible" league that Eurosnobs make it out to be.

I'm not saying this happens in 5 years, or 10 years...but it's happening.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I definitely disagree. If you look at the growth of the sport over the past 20 years, and the fact that the MLS averages higher attendance than both the NBA and NHL in many years, and comparable to the MLB in many markets. Factor in that the MLS is still a virtual baby (19 years old) and the other leagues have a leg up on history - NFL (94), NHL (97) and MLB (145), NBA (68), and the success will come.

The USA will continue to be competitive on the World stage, and the popularity will continue to increase as more overseas stars come to play in the MLS, because it is NOT the "terrible" league that Eurosnobs make it out to be.

Its just soooooooooooooooooooooooo boring. And watching them flop all over the place and lie there on the ground holding some 'injured' part instead of getting up and playing on drives me crazy. Its more like watching theater to me than a sport. I tried to watch some of the game yesterday, and I wanted to poke some players' eyes out after about 10 minutes. After 15 minutes, I wanted to poke MY OWN eyes out.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Its just soooooooooooooooooooooooo boring. And watching them flop all over the place and lie there on the ground holding some 'injured' part instead of getting up and playing on drives me crazy. Its more like watching theater to me than a sport. I tried to watch some of the game yesterday, and I wanted to poke some players' eyes out after about 10 minutes. After 15 minutes, I wanted to poke MY OWN eyes out.

I agree. The flop that guy from the Netherlands took is behavior that should be discouraged, instead you get rewarded with a PK which is essentially a gift wrapped win.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Woooo goooo love the world cup games!
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

uh look at the amount of games played. NBA is 82, NHL is 80 I think, MLB is 162. Has soccer grown in last 20 years in US? yes, however its right at its ceiling right now.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    soccer is a sport?
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    soccer is a sport?
    Yea futbol (football) is, and actually requires to have great physical conditioning *GASP!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I understand that some people can get really into a game, but what really irks me is that some fans complain about actions that they couldn't possibly do better if they were in that scenario. Example: the blocked penalty kick. Everyone was screaming "How could you miss that?!?!" I dunno, maybe because the other team was good? Maybe because the players are freaking exhausted? Maybe because crap happens? But everyone that was yelling was severely out of shape and acted like if they were in the game that America would have dominated.

End rant.

i love sports. I love a lot of sports. but when I ask something like "how could you miss that?" it's usually a rhetorical question. I know that crap happens. i know that's the way sports go. but it's usually in reference to something i have seen a player do many times, so to see something go unexpectedly prompts the rhetorical question.

I don't really expect an answer. and i don't think anyone else really does either.

Pretty much this...apparently OP isn't around sporting events too much.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    soccer is a sport?
    Yea futbol (football) is, and actually requires to have great physical conditioning *GASP!

and sharp teeth
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    fan is short for fanatic. Fanatics expect perfection. It is irritating at times, but unfortunately I have been "that fan" a few times. Not proud of it, but have been there.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    i am an eagles fan and recently re-watched our 2004 SUper Bowl loss that was on at a bar and the game was driving me nuts. Now i know it was 10 years ago and I cant change the past, but as a sports fan im 97% insane lol.

Sorry your team sucks.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Because American Football is 1000000000x more popular then soccer in America, as it should be.

*DISCLAIMER* I'm not hating on soccer.

Conflicting post is conflicting.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

uh look at the amount of games played. NBA is 82, NHL is 80 I think, MLB is 162. Has soccer grown in last 20 years in US? yes, however its right at its ceiling right now.

At it's ceiling right now? Ha.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Soccer will be huge in another 5-10 years?

I have been told since at least 2nd grade (I am now 46) that soccer is growing by leaps and bounds in the U.S. If you enjoy watching soccer that is great. I just cannot seem to gain an appreciation for the sport. If I cared enough to sit down with someone and find out why, one knock down results in just getting the ball, and another results in a yellow card, & yet another lets the play continue, then I am sure I could enjoy a game. After watching the U.S. against Belgium, to me, it was like watching an NBA game, or a 5 round MMA fight. You could have made it a 20 minute game, and had everyone play hard for 20 minutes, instead of dragging it out for 120.
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    GO Bills!
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    I understand that some people can get really into a game, but what really irks me is that some fans complain about actions that they couldn't possibly do better if they were in that scenario. Example: the blocked penalty kick. Everyone was screaming "How could you miss that?!?!" I dunno, maybe because the other team was good? Maybe because the players are freaking exhausted? Maybe because crap happens? But everyone that was yelling was severely out of shape and acted like if they were in the game that America would have dominated.

End rant.

it's a knee jerk reactive comment. Like when someone cuts you off driving and you yell "jerk" or "idiot" or flip them off. It's just how you feel at that second... guessing you're not a sports fan?
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options

At it's ceiling right now? Ha.

oh hey Jac, good to see you.

Yes IMO, its basically at its ceiling in the US. On the high end you have Seattle, Portland that draw big, passionate crowds, but I think that is the exception, rather than the rule.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

The changing demographics in America suggest otherwise.