Options
    interstate 60

very cool

not a horror film
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Drop dead gorgeous

Own it and love it...just can't watch with hubby here...he hates it!
  • Stopher100481
    Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Around the Bend
    Rabbit Fence

LOVED Rabbit Proof Fence(I assumed that's what you meant)

I added Around the Bend based solely on the fact that I like the other lol
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh - how did I forget Tim Curry in Clue??
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Gonna add ELECTION - so realistic! (Matthew Broderick, Reese Witherspoon)

Also on that note, I agree with the suggestions of Welcome to the Dollhouse and KIDS.
    \

Loved all 3 of those!!! Kids was so in your face. I am from a VERY small town and I saw that movie in high school. It was crazy scary to me!!!
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i remember enjoying these two films when i was younger, not seen them since.
    jean de florette and the sequel manon des sources.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    "Pan's Labyrinth" was a visually gorgeous movie

Also just saw "The Grand Budapest Hotel" which was everything you would expect from a Wes Anderson movie. I loved it.

I wish I had more to add, but I'm definitely following this thread for some netflix movie bingeing later!
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Not sure how obscure it is, but it is a cult classic: Highlander
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only person who has seen this one! hahaha! "*click*.. did you just hang up? No, I just said click" hahaha

OH MY GOD YOU'RE MY NEW FAVORITE PERSON!!

Why does it sound like you're talking through a rubber chicken?

And, this is now on my queue. Sounds awesomeful.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Westworld, Futureworld, Andromeda strain, by dawn's early light, the day after, defcon 4
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The Fly is a wonderful, dark, love story that turns tragic with a fascinating sci-fi premise.

Choose Me is an LA love rondelay of weirdness set in the 1980s I think.

Dean Spanley, which I saw recently on Netflix, made me cry. It's set in London around 1910, I think.

My Life as a Dog, released in 1986, is a wonderful story about a young Swedish boy in the 1960s coping with being sent away to a village because his mother is dying. If you want a tender but unsentimental view of childhood, it's great.

Antoine et Colette is in a French anthology film called Love at 20. It's about a boy who pursues a girl in Paris. Heartbreaking.

Since we seem to have moved beyond "obscure" films, two of my all-time favorites are "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Big Sleep." Both star Humphrey Bogart as a detective. "Smiles of a Summer Night" by Ingmar Bergman is another favorite.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    i remember enjoying these two films when i was younger, not seen them since.
    jean de florette and the sequel manon des sources.

They're wonderful. If you like them, you'll enjoy "My Father's Glory" and "My Mother's Castle." (You have to see them in that order.) Those are films based on the autobiographical novels of Marcel Pagnol, who wrote Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources. They also are set in the Provence/Marseilles area.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Can't find Cousins though :-/ and I'm glad someone mentioned the Before trilogy(loved them!)

Ack! You're right! Looks like Netflix doesn't currently offer "Cousins". Well that's a bummer. One of the very few American remakes of a foreign film ("Cousin, Cousine") that, in my opinion anyway, turned out better.

I was lucky enough to see each of the movies in the "Before" trilogy as they were theatrically released over 18 years. So imagine seeing "Before Sunrise" without the knowledge that there would ever be anything other than a standalone film! It makes the ending a much, much different experience.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    Eric Rohmer's The Bakery Girl of Monceau, Suzanne's Career, Claire's Knee, Chant D'Automne, Chloé in the Afternoon. The last three are well known.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    There can only be one.
  • Verdenal
    Options
    Ridicule. It's a French film set just before the French Revolution. A young nobleman trying to get royal funds to drain his malaria-ridden swamps to help his peasants in spite of himself gets swept up in the world of the French Court.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    1.) Swing Kids
    2.) Pieces of April (AWESOME THanksgiving movie....literally)
    3.) Curse of the Golden Flower
    4.) Much Ado About Nothing
  • Verdenal
    Options
    The Red Shoes is amazing. My favorite scene is with the cobbler, played by Léonide Massine (I don't think that's giving too much away). If you like this film by "The Archers," Powell and Pressburger, you will probably like "Black Narcissus." Another lovely film by them is "I Know Where I'm Going."

For a real cult film, try "Peeping Tom," which Michael Powell made by himself in the1960s. It's a very disturbing film.

Very mainstream, but I assume you've seen "Notorious" and "North by Northwest" and "Vertigo" and "Strangers on a Train" by Hitchcock.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thought of another good one: "The Irony of Fate"

It's a very obscure film... unless you're from a country that was once part of the former Soviet Union, that is. Over there, it's apparently the equivalent to "It's a Wonderful Life"... the sort of movie that still plays numerous times on TV around the holidays every single year, and that pretty much every single person has seen multiple times.

The plot hinges on the fact that many Soviet neighborhoods in the 1970s were basically exactly alike, with identical buildings and even sometimes the same street names. Through a series of mishaps on New Year's Eve, a guy drunkenly winds up in what he thinks is his own apartment in Moscow, but is actually an identical apartment in St. Petersburg (Leningrad at the time). When the true resident shows up, hijinks and romance ensue... along with much singing of minor-key songs in Russian.

A bit overlong (it's actually split into two parts), but a charming film nonetheless.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Not sure how obscure it is, but it is a cult classic: Highlander

"There can be only one!".

Think we now need a cult film thread - in which case I'm torn between Donnie Darko, Highlander, Animal House, and The Thing.
    Oh and if ever there's a "worst ever sequel" thread then Highlander 2 would be my choice!