IF -One meal a day nutrition

Options

Replies

• PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    How many days are you fasting? IF- Intermittent Fasting is just that- intermittent. You don't do it every day.

If you're following the protocol and fasting 2 or 3 days a week and eating normally on non-fasting days, I'd argue you don't have to worry about hitting your macros on fasting days.

If you haven't, you should read 'The Fast Diet'. It's short and quick to get through.

(I've done IF, and while I love the concept, I find I do better when I eat at regular intervals daily)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many days are you fasting? IF- Intermittent Fasting is just that- intermittent. You don't do it every day.

If you're following the protocol and fasting 2 or 3 days a week and eating normally on non-fasting days, I'd argue you don't have to worry about hitting your macros on fasting days.

If you haven't, you should read 'The Fast Diet'. It's short and quick to get through.

(I've done IF, and while I love the concept, I find I do better when I eat at regular intervals daily)

The OP means IF as in over a 24hour period you have a fast period and a feast period. It is totally sustainable as a style of eating.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Drives me nuts when people say stupid stuff like this.
    I am morbily obese. I am eating within my calories, and yes I plan to do this for the rest of my life.
    I do not expect to lose as much but if I do GREAT ! was giving this as a example.

If the truth drives you nuts, you're going to have an unpleasant life.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

There are different types of IF. You can do a 5:2 which is eating @ maintenance for 5 days and fasting for 2 (or 4:3). Or you can have an eating window everyday and fast for the rest of the day (16:8, 18:6, 20:4) where you fast for 16 hours a day, and have an 8 hour eating window.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not judging.
    But, I do vaguely remember a study where they fed rats (yes, we're not rats) a set diet spaced throughout the day, and in one meal. So some got X calories (and macros) in one meal, while some got an equivalent number spread throughout a day. The result was something along the lines of: it was harder on the rat's system to eat it all at once. Specifically their hearts.

The take home implication was supposed to be that it's hard on our systems to eat big mac value meals because it's a lot to take all at once, rather than the same number of calories (fat, protein etc) spaced out over the day.

NO IDEA if this has been refuted, replicated or whatever. Just a "hey I read this once" comment, since you asked about "unknowns". You decide if you want to read that or if it's relevant etc.

Best of luck.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    So roughly 1400 calories in one meal. Do you think this makes sense?

I can sense your sarcasm , i didint post to get rude comments!
    IF works, and people have different ways of losing !

SO YES ! 1400 calories in one meal..

Im sure you have had a big mac and fries in one meal ??? one point in your life??

Mine is just healthier!

You didint have to comment or let alone post on my thread..

THANKS!!!

Nope no sarcasm, sorry you read it that way. Personally, I couldn't do this. I was asking more to see if you think you could do this for a period of time, long or short Health aside, and my eating aside, IF is affective for short periods of time, and some people use it for lifting and maintaining their weight. People also use it for other reasons I'm sure. As a public forum I can certainly post to your thread. If you think eating one meal per day makes sense best of luck. If you think long term it makes sense then best of luck. You may however, want to consider a different approach.

What are your goals and have you calculated your daily needs by using a website like fat2fitradio for BMR?

IF is affective for a short periods of time?
    thats not true! People do this as a lifestyle, there are groups and forums for this with people that do the same thing I am.

And yes this is a public forum, but negativity does not need to be posted.

I was simply asking about nutritional needs.
    I understand people might not understand this approach.
    But i also do not like eating a hand full of rabbit food at every meal just to get my calories
    I like feeling full, and this is how I do it.

IF may be a way of life for some people. I do not know any who fast as long as you. I know folks who are 16:8. Nutritional needs it depends on your goals. What sort of work out do you do at the gym? And I was not being negative. I simply asked a question. What do you want to accomplish?
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

The OP means IF as in over a 24hour period you have a fast period and a feast period. It is totally sustainable as a style of eating.

I never said it wasn't sustainable. I *did* say I love the concept, though I've found it doesn't work well for me in practice.

I am asking the OP for clarification, because Intermittent Fasting and Daily fasting seem to me, to be distinctly different. If OP is fasting daily, I would imagine it's difficult to get in 150g of protein in a two hour period.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    ALso in order to know how much to eat you need to caculate your TDEE and BMR. I worry you are not eating enough for your weight. 12lb in a week seem a little crazy
    Read this posting. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

She has quite a lot to lose, so she will drop more at first than someone with less to lose. At her starting weight, 12 pounds is only 3% of her weight. If someone who was 150 pounds lost 5 pounds the first month, you'd say it was fabulous, right? Twelve pounds for her isn't crazy. She also has a little more leeway in creating a bigger deficit than someone who is closer to their goal weight.

The protein goal you see daily is tied to your MFP exercise calorie additions. You can safely stick with 100 grams of protein a day, regardless of what number comes up. A 400 gram piece of chicken breast will net you that much protein. That's a large piece of chicken, but you are only eating once a day. Same guidelines can apply to your fat goal, too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I never said it wasn't sustainable. I *did* say I love the concept, though I've found it doesn't work well for me in practice.

I am asking the OP for clarification, because IF and what OP seems to be doing are two different things.

Not at all. A lot of people doing IF do 16:8, while the OP is doing 22:2. Same thing, just a very short feeding window.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

I am asking the OP for clarification, because IF and what OP seems to be doing are two different things.
    her way of eating is still considered IF, its just a smaller window of fasting/eating compared to someone who fasts for a full day or 2 at a time
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity. Why would one want to fast for 22 hours? Would that not make someone cranky? I know when I have had to fast for medical procedures I was very very cranky.
    its actually quite easy. i recently switched to a 20:4 IF style and i felt more hungry while eating 4 meals a day than i do with eating all my food in a 4 hour or less window

OP, just google calorie dense foods. other than that you just need to adjust to your new style of eating. it will get easier with time

Never really heard much about IF. I did high/low days for a while but it didn't seem to do much more for me than calorie counting did. Maybe my numbers were off. Is there a real benefit beyond just personal preference? As in, would this help me lose weight faster?
    there is some speculation over the effects IF has on growth hormones and whatnot, most say that it can only help but i have yet to see a conclusive reputable source say this.

i'd chalk it up to personal preference, but it really makes it easy to count calories of 1 or 2 meals as opposed to 6 smaller ones
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity. Why would one want to fast for 22 hours? Would that not make someone cranky? I know when I have had to fast for medical procedures I was very very cranky.
    its actually quite easy. i recently switched to a 20:4 IF style and i felt more hungry while eating 4 meals a day than i do with eating all my food in a 4 hour or less window

OP, just google calorie dense foods. other than that you just need to adjust to your new style of eating. it will get easier with time

Never really heard much about IF. I did high/low days for a while but it didn't seem to do much more for me than calorie counting did. Maybe my numbers were off. Is there a real benefit beyond just personal preference? As in, would this help me lose weight faster?

For me it is just the simple fact of satisfiction.

Compared to eating 3-6 meals a day in small amount 300-400 calorie meals (which still would not fill me up)
    I eat a larger selection in the 2 hour frame I allow myself to eat. So I am not worried about over eating and making sure I make my deficent for my goal weight loss.
  • Romyarts2014
    Options

Not at all. A lot of people doing IF do 16:8, while the OP is doing 22:2. Same thing, just a very short feeding window.

Yes exactly!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    All I know is that dogs should be fed multiple times a day because, if not, when they have a full stomach (bigger meal = more food in it), there is a risk of them twisting and upsetting the location of their stomach when laying down and/or rolling over. I personally know more than one dog that has died from this.

Now, I realiz we're not dogs, but biologically, we are exactly the same. 99.9% of our DNA is the same and our bodies work in the exact same way. I believe that eating 2000+ calories (for me, anyway) in one meal cannot be a good thing for my health or my body. There is no way anyone can convince me otherwise. Besides, if you want to get the most micronutrients per calorie eaten, there will be a lot of fruits and veggies involved, which will just increase the volume of food you need to consume. A 500 calorie salad is enogh to pack me full. I cannot imagine eating that much food.

Oh, and 200g of protein is 1kg of chicken breast. 1 FREAKING KILOGRAM! That's over 2 lbs of chicken, IN ONE MEAL! That's just ludacris.

I also have a background in endurance sports. If you want to *try* to eat all your food in one meal, you'll probably end up killing yourself if you tried to bike for 3+ hours in the morning - without eating anything else.

Anyway, if you do continue with this venture, make sure you wait 2 hours after eating before you exercise to allow your body to digest the food.
  • Romyarts2014
    Options

I am asking the OP for clarification, because Intermittent Fasting and Daily fasting seem to me, to be distinctly different. If OP is fasting daily, I would imagine it's difficult to get in 150g of protein in a two hour period.

OMPD( one meal per day)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1242467-how-one-meal-a-day-saved-me-from-morbid-obesity
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1257158-from-363-4-to-197-7-lbs-my-one-meal-a-day-success-story

I do this everyday 7 days a week
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP--what do you want to accomplish?

What nutrition questions do you have?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Now, I realiz we're not dogs, but biologically, we are exactly the same. 99.9% of our DNA is the same

Nope. You lost me. We're not even 99.9% the same as chimps, our closest animal relative. I do get your logic on full bellies, etc.
    Love your avatar.