IF -One meal a day nutrition

Options

Replies

• Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    All I know is that dogs should be fed multiple times a day because, if not, when they have a full stomach (bigger meal = more food in it), there is a risk of them twisting and upsetting the location of their stomach when laying down and/or rolling over. I personally know more than one dog that has died from this.

Now, I realiz we're not dogs, but biologically, we are exactly the same. 99.9% of our DNA is the same and our bodies work in the exact same way. I believe that eating 2000+ calories (for me, anyway) in one meal cannot be a good thing for my health or my body. There is no way anyone can convince me otherwise. Besides, if you want to get the most micronutrients per calorie eaten, there will be a lot of fruits and veggies involved, which will just increase the volume of food you need to consume. A 500 calorie salad is enogh to pack me full. I cannot imagine eating that much food.

Oh, and 200g of protein is 1kg of chicken breast. 1 FREAKING KILOGRAM! That's over 2 lbs of chicken, IN ONE MEAL! That's just ludacris.

I also have a background in endurance sports. If you want to *try* to eat all your food in one meal, you'll probably end up killing yourself if you tried to bike for 3+ hours in the morning - without eating anything else.

Anyway, if you do continue with this venture, make sure you wait 2 hours after eating before you exercise to allow your body to digest the food.

I am not eating 2000 plus calories
    and im not eating 2 ibs of chicken.

Today i had a salad
    and a sandwich with meat cheeze and egg
    with yoghurt and kropeok

I eat 1300-1500 calories
    Which me being morbidly obese I was eating alone for breakfast.

So again everyone works differently. i have 22 hours to digest and I work out in am and at night
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    If the truth drives you nuts, you're going to have an unpleasant life.
    WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    sorry for me leading a different lifestyle from your is going to make my life unpleasant.
    Up yours douche

You don't lead a different lifestyle from me. Actually, I came here because you're asking about something I do on a fairly regular basis. The truth that I pointed out is that your motivation and goal is almost certainly unrealistic and dangerous. Unless you are under strict medical supervision, you shouldn't be thinking of 173 lbs in 10 months. I realize, from other comments, that you're starting at around 400 pounds. But, you didn't gain 250 pounds in a year. Where was this sense of urgency when you were gaining? It wasn't there. So, why have it now?

It probably makes more sense to aim for 3-5% weight loss per month. Keep in mind that is still 105-160 lbs in 10 months. I would probably say your results are likely to be near the low end of that. The nice thing about that is your goal each month goes down. It can start at 5 lb/week the first month and would be less than 2 lb/week in month 10.

Seriously though, 5 %/month is almost bordering on unsustainable. 3 %/month is a lot more realistic and sustainable.

You can be as furious as you want about that. You can deny it and blame me. Rage against the wind, for all I care. It doesn't matter how much you scream, the sun won't cease to rise on your account.
  • Romyarts2014
    Options
    ALso in order to know how much to eat you need to caculate your TDEE and BMR. I worry you are not eating enough for your weight. 12lb in a week seem a little crazy
    Read this posting. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

She has quite a lot to lose, so she will drop more at first than someone with less to lose. At her starting weight, 12 pounds is only 3% of her weight. If someone who was 150 pounds lost 5 pounds the first month, you'd say it was fabulous, right? Twelve pounds for her isn't crazy. She also has a little more leeway in creating a bigger deficit than someone who is closer to their goal weight.

The protein goal you see daily is tied to your MFP exercise calorie additions. You can safely stick with 100 grams of protein a day, regardless of what number comes up. A 400 gram piece of chicken breast will net you that much protein. That's a large piece of chicken, but you are only eating once a day. Same guidelines can apply to your fat goal, too.

I agree,
    with any form of dieting someone who is my size will lose more.
    So I dont think 12 pounds is unhealthy , and i ofcouse dont expect this every week.
    I was shocked to know I lost the 12 pounds lol.

And I will do the chicken breast! I had been eating some earlier in the week and my proteins were great!
    thanks
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    All I know is that dogs should be fed multiple times a day because, if not, when they have a full stomach (bigger meal = more food in it), there is a risk of them twisting and upsetting the location of their stomach when laying down and/or rolling over. I personally know more than one dog that has died from this.

Now, I realiz we're not dogs, but biologically, we are exactly the same. 99.9% of our DNA is the same and our bodies work in the exact same way. I believe that eating 2000+ calories (for me, anyway) in one meal cannot be a good thing for my health or my body. There is no way anyone can convince me otherwise. Besides, if you want to get the most micronutrients per calorie eaten, there will be a lot of fruits and veggies involved, which will just increase the volume of food you need to consume. A 500 calorie salad is enogh to pack me full. I cannot imagine eating that much food.

Oh, and 200g of protein is 1kg of chicken breast. 1 FREAKING KILOGRAM! That's over 2 lbs of chicken, IN ONE MEAL! That's just ludacris.

I also have a background in endurance sports. If you want to *try* to eat all your food in one meal, you'll probably end up killing yourself if you tried to bike for 3+ hours in the morning - without eating anything else.

Anyway, if you do continue with this venture, make sure you wait 2 hours after eating before you exercise to allow your body to digest the food.
    im curious about this point about the dogs, i wonder if that has happened to a significant number of people? (by significant i mean more than 1 of 1,000,000) theres alot of differences in this situation for a dog compared to a human but i dont imagine its a stretch to say it could happen

200 g of protein is quite a bit, someone who has 250 lbs of lean mass probably doesnt even need that much

i have done fasted cardio, mind you not the 3+ hours you speak of, but its not nearly as bad as you would imagine.

i completely agree with waiting a couple hours after eating though, one of the big downfalls of this style of eating is there is almost always a point in the day where you can hardly move for all the food you just scarfed down
  • Romyarts2014
    Options
    WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    sorry for me leading a different lifestyle from your is going to make my life unpleasant.
    Up yours douche

You don't lead a different lifestyle from me. Actually, I came here because you're asking about something I do on a fairly regular basis. The truth that I pointed out is that your motivation and goal is almost certainly unrealistic and dangerous. Unless you are under strict medical supervision, you shouldn't be thinking of 173 lbs in 10 months. I realize, from other comments, that you're starting at around 400 pounds. But, you didn't gain 250 pounds in a year. Where was this sense of urgency when you were gaining? It wasn't there. So, why have it now?

It probably makes more sense to aim for 3-5% weight loss per month. Keep in mind that is still 105-160 lbs in 10 months. I would probably say your results are likely to be near the low end of that. The nice thing about that is your goal each month goes down. It can start at 5 lb/week the first month and would be less than 2 lb/week in month 10.

Seriously though, 5 %/month is almost bordering on unsustainable. 3 %/month is a lot more realistic and sustainable.

You can be as furious as you want about that. You can deny it and blame me. Rage against the wind, for all I care. It doesn't matter how much you scream, the sun won't cease to rise on your account.

I NEVER SAID THAT I WAS LOOKING TO LOSE THAT MUCH THAT FAST !!!!!!
    IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!
    BUT IM NOT GOING INTO THIS THINING OHHH IM GOING TO LOSE 180 POUNDS IN 10 MONTHS !!!!
    I am doing this for my health and it has made me feel great so far, so dont put words in my mouth.
    I was putting that on there as a (YOU SEE IT WORKS) type thing. so dont hunny!
  • Romyarts2014
    Options

im curious about this point about the dogs, i wonder if that has happened to a significant number of people? (by significant i mean more than 1 of 1,000,000) theres alot of differences in this situation for a dog compared to a human but i dont imagine its a stretch to say it could happen

200 g of protein is quite a bit, someone who has 250 lbs of lean mass probably doesnt even need that much

i have done fasted cardio, mind you not the 3+ hours you speak of, but its not nearly as bad as you would imagine.

i completely agree with waiting a couple hours after eating though, one of the big downfalls of this style of eating is there is almost always a point in the day where you can hardly move for all the food you just scarfed down

I agree, i work out in the morning.
    and i workout at night
    eat 3-5pm
    workout at 11pm
    take a nap before haha
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Why would one want to fast for 22 hours? Would that not make someone cranky?

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!
    BUT IM NOT GOING INTO THIS THINING OHHH IM GOING TO LOSE 180 POUNDS IN 10 MONTHS !!!!
    I am doing this for my health and it has made me feel great so far, so dont put words in my mouth.

I'm going to speculate that for the OP of this thread, the answer to the bolded question is yes based on anecdotal evidence.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options
    Drives me nuts when people say stupid stuff like this.
    I am morbily obese. I am eating within my calories, and yes I plan to do this for the rest of my life.
    I do not expect to lose as much but if I do GREAT ! was giving this as a example.

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

Is it just me or is everyone being fairly polite (and attempting to correct a misconstrued message) other than the OP...?

Sorry I have nothing to add.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I understand this method makes you feel good. Which is great.

I am just wondering how you calculated how many calories to eat. Your number is lower than mine and I weight less than you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I understand this method makes you feel good. Which is great.

I am just wondering how you calculated how many calories to eat. Your number is lower than mine and I weight less than you.
    It's lower than mine and I weigh less AND I'm old.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!

I'm going to speculate that for the OP of this thread, the answer to the bolded question is yes based on anecdotal evidence.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :noway:

I am not cranky, im actually very happy right now lol.
    But it does piss me of when someone puts things in my mouth or trys to make me into a bad guy!
    so yes he is a douche. saying that im going to live a unpleasent life makes him a big DOUCHE :explode:
    You may want to review the user terms that you agreed to when you signed up.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!

But it does piss me of when someone puts things in my mouth or trys to make me into a bad guy!
    so yes he is a douche. saying that im going to live a unpleasent life makes him a big DOUCHE :explode:

Well if I tried your method my life would be unpleasent. Its a matter of opinion.
  • Romyarts2014
    Options
    I am morbily obese. I am eating within my calories, and yes I plan to do this for the rest of my life.
    I do not expect to lose as much but if I do GREAT ! was giving this as a example.

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

Is it just me or is everyone being fairly polite (and attempting to correct a misconstrued message) other than the OP...?

Sorry I have nothing to add.

:grumble:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

OP, I highly suggest you take a few moments to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Now, IF is fine if it works for you..whichever form you choose. I know a guy who has great success in eating just two big meals a day and I know some IFers that do well with 16:8 and such.

Overall, you need to find what works for you. If you find trying to stuff yourself in a 2 hour period is too much, widen that eating period to 4 and so on.

With such a short period to eat, I'd be worried about meeting your macros (and realize that MFP sets you at the minimum with protein) and even your micros.

But as another poster put, make sure you are looking into more calorie and nutritionally dense foods and good luck with that.
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's already working well for you. Why not just keep doing what you're doing since it is working. Seems like 150 for protein is a little high but I'm no expert. I've been interested in trying this so am very happy to hear it is working for you. From what I've read in other posts there isn't a whole lot of support for this type of dieting on MFP so don't be discouraged by the negative comments. I've looked at other web sites and youtube videos and it absolutely works for some people (including you) so just carry on. Good luck.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

WOW!!!!!
    What a dumbass!
    Up yours douche

and

IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!

I would recommend that you re-read the replies you were given in this thread. You have made personal attacks and having re-read the responses to you, not one person called you any names or insulted you. They disagreed with you, and there's a gigantic difference between a disagreement and a personal attack.

You are lashing out with name calling because someone is presenting ideas or concepts that don't fit your current biases.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In regards to protein/macros...here's a link that can help you make changes or figure out around where you might want to be. Usually with protein, you should be aiming for 0.8-1g per LBM (lean body mass..not overall weight).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

And another link that has a lot of cool and helpful tips/info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    After reading your post and all of the comments I'm a little confused. You said you would like advice about getting in more protein. Several people, I believe, are concerned about the IF program and also about you, as a person. Yet you say they are being sarcastic; have you read your responses to their posts? Pretty much sums up sarcasm in a nut shell. If you want suggestions be open to listening to what MFP members have to say and take the good with what you perceive is bad. Just my two cents worth. Don't shut the door when you would like to get friendly advice!

Chris
  • Romyarts2014
    Options
    Lol

wow!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    IF I DO GREAT!!!!!!!

And I pointed out that "I certainly hope this isn't your motivation/goal." At which point, you got angry and defensive and started to get upset. That suggests to me that, at least on some level, this is what you hope for. You may even recognize, intellectually, that it probably isn't safe or realistic.

It should also be pointed out that IF isn't going to change the fact that it all comes down to calories. If you spread 1,500 calories across 6 meals, 3 meals, or 1 meal you will end up losing the same amount of weight. So, I.F. is not why that person lost 173 pounds in 10 months. That person would have lost the same amount of weight eating 6 meals and the same number of calories. It may have been a tool they used to help control their caloric intake, but the I.F. was incidental to the weight loss. You haven't provided a "(YOU SEE IT WORKS) type thing." That sort of thing would be a controlled study where calories were held constant but number of feeding times was varied that showed more weight loss with fewer feedings.