Jiggle-Free July, Abmazing Aug & Slimmer September

Options
Our team is looking for some active participants in our NEW CHALLENGE:

Hey everyone,

I hope you're all doing well! I'm excited for this new challenge and I hope you are too. just a warning this is going to be a long message, that everything you need to know about this challenge will be written in this thread.

I wanted to let you all know about the upcoming 12 week challenge. It was requested that we do something where we all have a common interest/goal and hopefully everyone will be in sync and motivated!! T

I think it's difficult to set a certain number of pounds for each person to lose. So hopefully by choosing a body weight percentage, we can all aim for a few common goals. In 12 weeks we should each be able to lose about 5 to 8% and possibly more. But that leaves a little wiggle room for mistakes and slip ups and you know, LIFE. For instance, if you weigh 200 pounds, losing 10% of your weight = 20 pounds. Losing 5 % = 10 pounds. Losing 10 pounds in 12 weeks is totally doable. [ obviously its possible to lose more, waaaay more BUT I am hoping by setting a low goal, we can get the group-esteem UP!! bigsmile love blushing flowerforyou

I am personally making a few changes to the challenge and weights are posted. I think some people are hesitant to post their weight because they are embarrassed or don't want to be judged. If this is you, I still think you should hold yourself accountable in some form, but it does not have to be by the posting of your actual weight.

If you'd like, you can post zero as your starting weight and then plus or minus whatever you've lost or gained that week. You should be honest and accurately remove or add the weight change that week.
EXAMPLE

name: starting weight/ Goal weight/ Current weight/+/- difference
gonabfit: 120/115/ 118 OR
gonabfit: 0 (SW)/ -5(GW) / -1.5(CW) / Lost 1.5 pounds this week. OR bigsmile
gonabfit: 0 (SW)/ -4 lbs (GW) / +6 lbs (CW)/ gained 6 lbs this week - water weight. sad

whatever LOL. That will be a BIT more complicated but... if t hat helps someone POST more often, I'm fine with it and others should be too because it is not our job to know YOUR weight... we are just here to keep each other HONEST and ACCOUNTABLE! In a respectful and manner you appreciate.

I really want this group to be something that is positive for all involved. Some people do well with tough love and some people don't. It's as simple as that. And honestly, another person's weight is not my business nor is it my business if they are off plan. We are all here to support each other in a positive way and provide encouragement or advice if it is requested.

So with that said, I look forward to everyone joining in on the journey if they want. heart flowerforyou wink Hopefully this will be a good experience for all and we can carry more people with us to the finish line.

&********************************************
I just wanted to list some reasonable expectations:

We would like people to post as often as you can! Daily if you'd like, hourly, weekly, whenever you need advice or an urge to just chat or help someone... with that being said,

1. I am busy, you are busy, we all have responsibilities outside of myfitness pal. If you can weigh in every week that would be optimal but obviously life happens. If you happen not to weigh in that week it is fine with me if you weigh in and at the next earliest convenience. If you skip one week or even five, I just want you to know that it is okay to get back on the saddle and try again. I'm not condoning half-doing the challenge, but none of us are getting paid to be on my fitnesspal and honestly I would love for this to be an enjoyable experience for everyone.

2. There should be no shaming, no finger-pointing, and no making people feel guilty for weight gain or misunderstanding a weight loss concept. We are all in the same boat trying to get a little healthier each day. :)

3. As much as I want us all to succeed and as much as I'd like to succeed, I cannot promise that I will be here every day. I cannot promise that I will never miss a week. I cannot even promise that I will always know the exact encouraging words. But, like you, I am here to get healthier and to meet a few supportive people along the way. I've been wondering how to phrase this, and I honestly hope not to offend anyone, but weight loss is a journey that is truly (at the core of it) traveled alone. It's always nice to have someone on your side who can GUIDE you when you get lost and CHEER for you when you're down (and maybe even warn you if you're headed towards a cliff) but honestly it boils down to deciding to eat differently and deciding to move your body. FOR YOU. Holding yourself accountable TO YOURSELF and then, others. Learning to do what's best for YOUR body and time (as long as it's healthy) even if others disapprove.

So please, do not take my absence is a sign that I'm not working out or hard. Try not to assume that if I don't weigh in here, that I don't weigh in at all. Add me as a friend! I weigh in all the time but don't always have the extra 5 mins to post to a group from my smart phone. I am simply busy, just like you. I work 80 hours a week, have been "trying" to manage two broken ankles and a sprained back explode noway I have a dog (I'm getting a second puppy this weekend), I just finished residency, and just yesterday I started my fellowship. So while I really enjoy my fitness pal honestly, it is not on the top of my list of priorities at this time.

Eating, sleeping, prayer, exercise, family, and maintaining my sanity are at the top of my list right now! LOL :) so if my absence makes it so that you don't want to do the challenge, I hope you will reconsider and remember that we are all capable of inspiring each other and I don't deserve nor desire the role of being the one sole person "in charge" who bosses you all around.

My goal for this group was for it to be self-sustaining and not reliant on one person to keep everyone going. Even the moderator or co-modoraters of the group need encouragement sometimes. And we ALL have something to offer, so chime in, make suggestions, write posts... share tips. That' the point of all this!

So enough of that, I'm ready for a great 12 week challenge and I hope you are too! I'm hoping to lose 8% of my weight, decrease my body fat, and lose 10 inches. My NSV goals are to 1. Get back into ALL or 80% of my size 10's ( I am in 40 % of them now... actually I can put them ALL on but they are tighter than I like) 2. Have more energy and 3. Decrease my back and ankle pain

SO... the TWO most important questions are:

1. What specific goals do you have in addition to the "body weight" goal!?
2. HOW will you get there? And what's your back up plan!

blushing bigsmile flowerforyou Lot of reading, I know. But now... let's ROCK this challenge. i'll be posting befores and afters in 12 weeks!

who's with me?

Replies

• FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I still have body fat to lose to get to goal weight and this will help motivate me to get nearer to it over the next 12 weeks as the last few of your challenges did Gona, so I'm definitely in!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Im down. Are you going to make a group for this?
  • FitterBody
    Options
    Great to see you joining us Sparklelioness! I think Gona will be doing all the adding people to the group soon.
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like the sound of it! Im definitely in!!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • awood2785
    awood2785 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oooohh... I'd love to join.

My goals beside body fat loss are to fit comfortably into all of my size 8s, have more energy and making it a habit to workout.
  • radioactiveskullgirl
    Options
    Count me in ;)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued and would like to join!
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been here for a few weeks and no loss yet, so the motivation will be good :happy:
  • FitterBody
    Options
    Smamfa. Gona's last challenge was as good for me as it sounded then too and the one before that I did even better! Welcome!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    Topsking2010: Nice to have you with us!
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This sound great!
    I like the idea of a lower goal (mine would be about 9lbs if we're going by 5% body fat) because it will keep me up-beat and motivated, especially over the summer months which is when I often indulge a bit more than usual due to holidays, parties, BBQs hahaha :)
  • FitterBody
    Options
    awood2785: It was only weekly on the previous challenges and that helped develop a habit and therefore progress so whether people update weekly or daily I am looking forward to the added motivation of this challenge too!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    radioactivesk: Welcome! Counted!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    cardbucfan: Glad it aroused your interest. Welcome!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    CarlaMomOf4: Previous ones helped me stay motivated and lose so I expect the same to happen again and no reason why you should not expect the same! :happy:
  • ilemosenji
    Options
    Hi all! I'd love to join. I am very new to myfitnesspal, so I do not know how to join. I know how to log everything (food exercise, measurements, etc), but I need help joining this great challenge. I need motivation, and I think this will help. I have gained about 30 pounds in the past 1.5 years, and I need to take it off. I am have been doing unhealthy ways of losing weight, then I drop some weight and gain back more. I know many of us understand that. I am ready to do this in a healthy way!!! I look forward to this whole process. Thank-you all for doing this together!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    sophiegrace54: YES! Smaller mini-goals are more likely to met and that in turn motivates you to repeat the process and after a few repetitions you develop the right habits and that gets you step by step to your overall goals! Welcome!
  • FitterBody
    Options
    ilemosenji: You are more than welcome! I think Gona will be sending out invites soon so all you will have to do is accept it when it arrives and we can all get started on this mini-journey! Let's all lose some excess weight together and set up good habits to get lighter, healthier, and fitter after we all succeed on completing this short 12 week challenge! :happy:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Will there be an official group with invitations? I'm a detail person and like to know just how things work (annoys my husband to no end!)

Ah, posted at the same time-thx for an swearing my question!