What's your crack food?

Options
I have been reading a book that deals with the reasons people over eat. (Bear in mind that the following is an oversimplification of the actual scientific stuff.) One of the things that the author talks about is that for some of us, part of our brain reacts to certain foods the same way that part of the brain reacts to crack. When you eat these foods, your brain tells you you want - no - you NEED more. So you just eat and eat and eat, even when you are no longer hungry, sometimes long after you are full. When I read that, it was like an alarm going off in my head. I began to make a list of the foods that do that for me. Potato chips. Chocolate chip cookies. Brownies. Doritos. M&Ms. And the list goes on. I need to really think about this. I hate not having control, and those things make me lose control. I think it's true. I think these things - plus a few more - are my crack foods and I need to stay away from them. I need crack food rehab.

Can you relate?

Replies

• MrsWise724
    Options
    Macaroni & Cheese. . .Pizza (doesn't help that my husband works at a pizza place). . . Brownies

Mac & Cheese is really the top crack one for me. . . I guess it should be called "Crack & Cheese".
  • erikaj819
    Options
    Carbs! Period! crackers, chips, cookies, ........................................................... eeeek. cant keep the C words in the house!!!! lol
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    M & Ms with almonds.....mmmmm.

And during my "special week", anything made with bread.
  • hunterzmomma
    Options
    EVERYTHING!! I AM NOT PICKY LOL!!!!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    pizza (cheese and onion), or especially white pizza...anything warm, creamy with onions and garlic. I'm hopeless.
    Anything that is combination of chocolate and peanuts.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Interesting because I have actually read about Doritos having addictive substances in the coating they put on the chips. They are the very worse. Sugar in itself is addictive and can have withdrawal symptoms.

Mine would be Santitos. If I go off Santitos, I migrate over to granola. I can quit one or the other, but both at the same time is difficult. I went a month once a while back. But with MFP, and tracking and accountability I quit granola 4 or 5 days ago, and have managed to keep the Santitios down to between 1 and 2 1/2 servings per day. Much better than half a two pound bag!

Lucy
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Chocolate in any form - candy bars, M & M's (especially), cookies, brownies, etc.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Macaroni & Cheese. . .Pizza (doesn't help that my husband works at a pizza place). . . Brownies

Mac & Cheese is really the top crack one for me. . . I guess it should be called "Crack & Cheese".

lol
  • holymolar
    Options
    You know, there's really no food that I feel like I *HAVE* to have. If it's not in the house, it's not an issue for me. But when there are baked goods, like cupcakes, brownies, cookies, ect in the house, I find myself having more than I should.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I understand this for sure ... for me ... it's Pizza. I avoid it completely if I can. I just can't stop 'til it's all gone.
    hot-slice-of-pizza-clipart-thumb2759981.jpg
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm not picky either. I'll eat anything to excess. I can say that in the last 2 weeks I've been able to portion control but if there is junk food in my house (like leftover Halloween candy) I can eat it until I feel guilty. Chips are my downfall so I don't buy them.....
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Jube Jubes, that’s it but I could eat close to a kg in a day if I let myself which is rare since its naughty, lol.
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Peanutbutter & Jelly sandwich... I simply cannot make one with less than 4 servings of PB and 2 servings of jelly. I dream about them... Literally.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think for me it's anything with brown sugar.....cookies, blondies, muffins, etc. Strange that I've never quite thought about it like that, but brown sugar definitely triggers my binges.....! Thanks for making me think about this..... :ohwell:
  • CarolynInSC
    CarolynInSC Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a "coke" head myself...put one of those bottles of delicious beverage in my hands and I drink it all. Restaurants..."refill, please."
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options
    cheesecake!!!
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    Potato chips.

Luckily, I know well enough to portion out a bowlful instead of just eating out of the bag. If it's just me and the bag, those chips could very easily be gone in 10 minutes.
  • SkierElle
    Options
    Before I started this no sugar kick, it was cookies. or cookie dough, and there is also one of those frozen yogurt places nearby that is the build your own type, and of course i had to get lots of toppings :0 I also really like coffee drinks with whole milk and almond or hazlenut syrup. Now i just drink good coffee straight up.

I could care less about pizza - hate it, chips - disgusting, and pop (HATE pop!). I even despise french fries and anything that has potato in it. It's the damn baked goods and ice cream that's in between me and my goals, and I'm not giving into them any longer!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Sweet and Salty foods. As in, something that is sweet and salty at the same time. If you look at my food diary, you will see my mad binges on sweet nut clusters and peanut butter chocolate candies D:
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    simpe....one word.....BROWNIES!!!! Yummy!!