Cut out soda completely, and haven't lost a pound!

Options
I haven't not had a single soda since May 22nd! I thought this would be a great thing to cut out. I would only drink real Coke not the diet ones and I was having at least 6, 12oz cans a day some days more! I have not lost a single pound! I thought by cutting out soda I would at least lose a few! Any ideas??

Replies

• lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Are you replacing those drinks with food?? Perhaps without realising? Look at your diary from before and after the 22nd and see if there are any differences in your diet.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    youre still eating too much. cutting out soda is a good start but it doesnt mean your at a deficit.

log what you eat, stay at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I haven't not had a single soda since May 22nd! I thought this would be a great thing to cut out. I would only drink real Coke not the diet ones and I was having at least 6, 12oz cans a day some days more! I have not lost a single pound! I thought by cutting out soda I would at least lose a few! Any ideas??
    If your not counting your calories of everything why would you think you would?. Stopping soda is no magic pill. It's calories in and calories out if your not losing weight your eating more than you use. have a look at the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • ellebutler
    Options
    I'm only eating 1200 calories a day. I thought maybe I was replacing food but I was very cautious not too.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, people will be able to give you some specific suggestions.
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    If you are counting every single calorie you put in your mouth you should be losing weight. Try going to your doctor.
  • BigT555
    Options
    I'm only eating 1200 calories a day. I thought maybe I was replacing food but I was very cautious not too.
    are you logging accurately?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+accurately

if you follow this and still arent losing weight, time to see a doctor
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Can you give an example of what you eat on a daily basis?
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Before you go running off to the doctor as others have suggested, how about you open your diary first. That would be a logical first step in helping you access where you may be going wrong.

There is really no point in asking for help in why you aren't losing if we can't see how you're logging.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You're not in a caloric deficit.

Start weighing, measuring, and logging every single thing that goes in your mouth.

Not drinking soda is not magically going to make you lose weight.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Start weighing, measuring, and logging every single thing that goes in your mouth.

This
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options

Can you explain to me why some really fat people, having a caloric deficit, and exercising like crazy do not lose a single pounds? and also, why some people, eating pizza, ice creams, burgers, sodas and a whole bunch of crap, do not get a single pounds?

The caloric deficit is a myth, if that works why there is so many fat people? pretty much every person that is doing weight loss diets is having a caloric deficit, but almost every single person get the weight back or they even add more, some is missing here.
  • BigT555
    Options
    Can you explain to me why some really fat people, having a caloric deficit, and exercising like crazy do not lose a single pounds?
    barring medical issues this doesnt happen
    and also, why some people, eating pizza, ice creams, burgers, sodas and a whole bunch of crap, do not get a single pounds?
    this is because they are eating (at average) their TDEE
    The caloric deficit is a myth, if that works why there is so many fat people? pretty much every person that is doing weight loss diets is having a caloric deficit, but almost every single person get the weight back or they even add more, some is missing here.
    this is just false
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

Can you explain to me why some really fat people, having a caloric deficit, and exercising like crazy do not lose a single pounds? and also, why some people, eating pizza, ice creams, burgers, sodas and a whole bunch of crap, do not get a single pounds?

No. It's not a myth. It's thermodynamics. People are fat because they eat at a caloric surplus.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

It is not a myth
    http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/why-calories-count.html

"But what about the laws of physics? Aragon told me that no such study exists that shows people being overfed and losing weight. What’s more, there is no study in existence that shows people being underfed and not losing weight. Numerous highly controlled metabolic ward studies have shown again and again that macronutrient ratios — carbs, fat and protein — do not matter when it comes to weight loss. Calories are always the common denominator. "
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options

It is not a myth
    http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/why-calories-count.html

"But what about the laws of physics? Aragon told me that no such study exists that shows people being overfed and losing weight. What’s more, there is no study in existence that shows people being underfed and not losing weight. Numerous highly controlled metabolic ward studies have shown again and again that macronutrient ratios — carbs, fat and protein — do not matter when it comes to weight loss. Calories are always the common denominator. "

THIS!
  • Scarecrowsama
    Options
    I am still waiting for the answer to my question.
  • oneloopygirl
    Options
    OP - Congrats on kicking the soda habit. :) There are a lot of possibilities at play here. You're eating too much and not weighing and measuring your food intake. You're eating too little. There's no rule that says you have to stick to a 1200 calorie diet to lose. I can lose eating 1400-1450. I've lost eating more than that, too, especially if I'm really focusing on running and training. I don't know your current weight, but generally speaking, people with significantly amounts to lose, do not get put on a 1200 calorie diet on MFP. If you're truly weighing all your food and logging everything, are you exercising? It is possible you do have something medical going on, but again, without more info, that's hard to know.
  • LifeWithPie
    Options

And yet...you said this in another thread:
    "Your body is not going to lose more than 2 lbs of weight a week, if you lose more, because you have a huge caloric deficit, you can put yourself in serious trouble. "

Are you still conflicted?
  • oneloopygirl
    Options

Your question was answered. People have shown it wasn't a myth. Calorie deficit works. Problem is.. Many people think they are eating at a deficit and they aren't. They're not measuring food, taking into account things like added butter and other fats, etc. If you are diligent and accurate in your intake and eat a deficit, you'll lose weight.