Cut out soda completely, and haven't lost a pound!

Options

Replies

• Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    From my experience:

A couple things could be factoring in. Completely cutting out just soda is not going to cut it. It has to be all the sugary, empty-caloried drinks. So make sure you are drinking only water if you really want to make it count, and make sure to get 8-12 cups on a regular basis. Watch your sodium too--It can make you retain. Don't eat too little (if you can help it), or too much.

On top of all that, cutting out soda completely is only supposed to make a difference of a few pounds in a whole year from something I read. So you gotta really make sure you are getting some good workouts in. That is where the weight loss really comes in to factor.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You're not in a caloric deficit.

Start weighing, measuring, and logging every single thing that goes in your mouth.

Not drinking soda is not magically going to make you lose weight.

Can you explain to me why some really fat people, having a caloric deficit, and exercising like crazy do not lose a single pounds? and also, why some people, eating pizza, ice creams, burgers, sodas and a whole bunch of crap, do not get a single pounds?

The caloric deficit is a myth, if that works why there is so many fat people? pretty much every person that is doing weight loss diets is having a caloric deficit, but almost every single person get the weight back or they even add more, some is missing here.

When people gain the weight back it is usually because they go back to their old eating habits that they had before they started losing weight. That means they are once again eating more than they are burning.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Which question? Why are there so many fat people and why do they gain any weight they lose back? If so the answer is people get fat from eating too much and moving too little so they are eating more calories than they burn off so store the xcess as fat. As to why they gain it back - because they do fad diets like only eating 1200 cals until they lose the weight then go back to their old eating habits. they gain the weight back and in a lot of cases more on top as a)they lost muscle mass when eating 1200 cals so their metabolism is slightly slower than it was previously ad b) they eat more as a comforth thing as they are demoralised from gaining the weight back. Classic yo-yo dieting.

Those that don't 'diet' but change their eating habits to something sustainable and eat at a calorie deficit until they reach their goal weight and then carefully monitor intake to ensure that they don't eat over maintenance continually keep the weight off.

Quick fixes like cutting soda without measuring, weighing & logging food or using pills or meal replacement are not sustainable for life for the vast majority of people and so they fail and gain weight back.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for the answer to my question.

I believe you were given an answer and it was "Science!".

Seriously though ... if you don't believe in the law of thermodynamics, how exactly do you think weight loss occurs? That question is a head scratcher. If caloric deficit is a "myth", how do you believe that weight loss occurs?

If weight loss isn't science, then what is it?

I'll be waiting for an answer to that question. Thanks!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Can you explain to me why some really fat people, having a caloric deficit, and exercising like crazy do not lose a single pounds? and also, why some people, eating pizza, ice creams, burgers, sodas and a whole bunch of crap, do not get a single pounds?

The caloric deficit is a myth, if that works why there is so many fat people? pretty much every person that is doing weight loss diets is having a caloric deficit, but almost every single person get the weight back or they even add more, some is missing here.

Because they are inaccurate about their calorie intake, or inaccurate about their calorie outgoings.

People who do "weight loss diets" change their behaviour for a set time according to whatever fad nonsense they're following and then go back to how they did it before. They regain weight as they regain their old behaviours.

People who make a sea-change in their life tend to keep it up. These successful people often recast their lives in terms of fitness goals or activities (run a faster mile, squat a heavier weight) and enjoy their new-found strong, capable bodies.

TL:DR "Because Science!"
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do believe in all science laws, but if you all like science, then understand science.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me why some people do not lose a pound of weight despite being in caloric deficits and exercising. And also the other part, and I can talk for the other part, because I am 5.9 feet tall, I weight 130 pounds and eating 2500 calories a day does not make me gain any weight, I was even having a diet full of sugars, fat and nothing worked.

There is a basic premise that you all need to understand, to burn fat you need to trigger the fat burning hormones, which are 6, then you have 3 that store fat, if any of those is working around, you will not burn fat, again, unless you do destructive things in your organism, which is.. up to you if you want to do it, have you ever wonder why doctors just recommend no carbs diets or huge caloric deficits for very short periods of time?

For making your science of caloric deficit works you need to have a functional digestive system, but when we talk about caloric deficits, we are talking about 200-300 calories a day, as much.

Fat is stored energy, your body knows how much fat it needs, any excess will be burned, when you store more it is because something is wrong, and until you fix it you will not burn, there is something called leptin resistance that explains what I was talking about.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for the answer to my question.

I believe you were given an answer and it was "Science!".

Seriously though ... if you don't believe in the law of thermodynamics, how exactly do you think weight loss occurs? That question is a head scratcher. If caloric deficit is a "myth", how do you believe that weight loss occurs?

If weight loss isn't science, then what is it?

I'll be waiting for an answer to that question. Thanks!

magic+meme.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I do believe in all science laws, but if you all like science, then understand science.

I am still waiting for someone to tell me why some people do not lose a pound of weight despite being in caloric deficits and exercising. And also the other part, and I can talk for the other part, because I am 5.9 feet tall, I weight 130 pounds and eating 2500 calories a day does not make me gain any weight, I was even having a diet full of sugars, fat and nothing worked.

There is a basic premise that you all need to understand, to burn fat you need to trigger the fat burning hormones, which are 6, then you have 3 that store fat, if any of those is working around, you will not burn fat, again, unless you do destructive things in your organism, which is.. up to you if you want to do it, have you ever wonder why doctors just recommend no carbs diets or huge caloric deficits for very short periods of time?

For making your science of caloric deficit works you need to have a functional digestive system, but when we talk about caloric deficits, we are talking about 200-300 calories a fay, as much.

Fat is stored energy, your body knows how much fat it needs, any excess will be burned, when you store more it is because something is wrong, and until you fix it you will not burn, there is something called leptin resistance that explains what I was talking about.
    They're not in a deficit, they only think they are
  • jimmmer
    Options

For making your science of caloric deficit works you need to have a functional digestive system, but when we talk about caloric deficits, we are talking about 200-300 calories a fay, as much.

Calories in - Calories out.

If you aren't losing then you've fluffed up one side of the equation. It's that simple.

If you, personally, were eating 2500 and not losing/gaining, then you've found maintenance. Congratulations, you now have an accurate figure from which to base your upcoming cut/bulk. It's often the first thing I do before embarking on either one. Then you have something substantive to work with.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

For making your science of caloric deficit works you need to have a functional digestive system, but when we talk about caloric deficits, we are talking about 200-300 calories a day, as much.

get your broscience outta here, youre probably not eating as much as you think, and "some people do not lose a pound of weight despite being in caloric deficits and exercising" are eating more than they think.

show me a study that has people not losing weight while in a calorie deficit, or people not gaining while in a surplus. otherwise, accept that you are wrong
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

lol! Morning chuckles are the best
  • walts9
    walts9 Posts: 12
    Options
    If your taking certain kinds of medication it will factor into your weight loss, i know how you feel, i did the same thing i cut out my soda and didn't lose a pound and my doctor put me on 1200 calories a day intake. because of my health issues i went back to my doctor because after 2 months i hadn't lost any weight. He ran test and due to my health issues my body requires very little calories to function and due to the medications i was taking 1200 calories was more then my body required. Once i was able to add walking to my daily routine i slowly started losing. I now try to walk twice a day for 1 hour each and i do this as many days possible .. i try to walk every day and at least 5 days a week i do 2 walks a day. I walk between 6-8 miles a day. But the rest of the day i'm sedentary with barely any movement due to health issues. Another thing my doctor sent me to a nutritionist to help me set up a diet plan that would work with my medical condition.

It's been a very slow process but i'm down 40 lbs now.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I haven't not had a single soda since May 22nd! I thought this would be a great thing to cut out. I would only drink real Coke not the diet ones and I was having at least 6, 12oz cans a day some days more! I have not lost a single pound! I thought by cutting out soda I would at least lose a few! Any ideas??
    so you are telling us you are now eating 900 calories less each day from cutting out soda and you can not lose weight. YOu don't have a public food diary so it is hard to give tips as far as what you are eating. The best I can do is ask if you are properly measuring and weighing and logging every single thing you put into your mouth. Losing weight is eating at a calories deficit less than your tdee. Have you figured out what your total daily energy expended is?? IF so then you should subtract at least 500 from that number and eat that amount of calories. Maybe you are eating less than your calories and it is causing you to stall in weight loss. ITs all about the daily choices you make each day. There just isn't enough information in your post to help you figure out what is going on but I can tell you to re figure out what your tdee actualy is and then eat less than that each day. you will lose weight.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    The thing about soda, is that it is sugar water.

Sugar makes you store fat. Fruits have sugar too, and should mostly be eaten in the morning, never at night.

Sodium makes you store water and is bad for your heart in large quantities.

As you log each day, try watching your sodium and sugar levels.

Keep these as low as possible along with lowering daily calories.

Exercise more, (Especially cardio, walk, ride bicycle)) and pay no attention to the calories you earned each day. If you allow yourself (For instance only, your allowance may be different) 1100-1200 calories per day, then don't eat more because you earned extra calories from exercise, unless you've burned more than 1000 calories in a day. Then you can eat a few hundred more calories to put some back.

At the end of each day, you should be nowhere near your sodium and sugar allowances.
    No it doesn't
  • stardisgate
    stardisgate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay. First things first. Let's stop using the word "fat". Yes it may describe someone, or a group of people.. However, some of us are this way due to medical issues.

OP. A lot can play into this. Example: This is my second time on a "weight loss journey". Last time, I dropped 50 Ibs in about 3 months. Although this is an extreme amount, several things played into that success. I was on a medication for my medical issue. I also, not only cut out soda, but also stopped eating McDonalds. ( That was the only fast food I changed). I was also doing Zumba 2-3x a day, an hour each time. As well as going for a walk every other day for an hour or even 2 at times. I was also pushing 300 Ibs and with all those combined.. It was a big change.

Now I didn't understand in the original question if you cut out ALL soda. I didn't clearly understand if you meant you took diet out as well. Diet soda, can still cause weight gain.

This time around, I am approaching things differently. I am not on my medication anymore and I have gained a lot of the weight back. I DON'T expect to drop the weight as quickly as I did before.

Also, high sodium can cause water retention, so without knowing what you are eating, there would be no way to really tell.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar when I want usually in an evening but log and eat at a deficit. Sugar doesn't make you store fat - excess calories (from any source) make you store fat. Time of day is irrelevant otherwise wouldn't be down 117lbs so far!
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options

There is a basic premise that you all need to understand

I appreciate you educating us about how the thing that has literally made every single living creature lose weight since the dawn of time isn't science ... and that we need to understand what actually is.

Thank you :-)
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I tell scary stories to my children at night about the boogieman and the caloric deficit myth. Scares the **** out of them.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Okay. First things first. Let's stop using the word "fat". Yes it may describe someone, or a group of people.. However, some of us are this way due to medical issues.

OP. A lot can play into this. Example: This is my second time on a "weight loss journey". Last time, I dropped 50 Ibs in about 3 months. Although this is an extreme amount, several things played into that success. I was on a medication for my medical issue. I also, not only cut out soda, but also stopped eating McDonalds. ( That was the only fast food I changed). I was also doing Zumba 2-3x a day, an hour each time. As well as going for a walk every other day for an hour or even 2 at times. I was also pushing 300 Ibs and with all those combined.. It was a big change.

Now I didn't understand in the original question if you cut out ALL soda. I didn't clearly understand if you meant you took diet out as well. Diet soda, can still cause weight gain.

This time around, I am approaching things differently. I am not on my medication anymore and I have gained a lot of the weight back. I DON'T expect to drop the weight as quickly as I did before.

Also, high sodium can cause water retention, so without knowing what you are eating, there would be no way to really tell.

Couple of things:

1) how are you supposed to talk about weight loss in the context of a calorie deficit without mentioning fat?

2) lol @ bolded part. Really? By what mechanism does a zero calorie drink cause a calorie surplus and fat gain?