Thyroid RANT

Options
I am really tired of the endless "hypothyroid" posts. "I cant lose weight because of my hypothyroid...."

Geuss what, YOU CAN! I did and SO CAN YOU

Does it make you feel tired, more hungry and lethargic when you thyroid is off? YES IT DOES

Having a hypothyroid is not a free pass into laziville, it just means you have to dig deep and WORK HARDER than other people, it does not make your fitness goals IMPOSSIBLE

SO STOP BLAMING YOUR THYROID!

-End Rant-

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Your personal experience doesn't negate that of others. Medical literature backs up their claims.

Just because the disease affected you in a particular way doesn't mean it affects everyone that way. Of the symptoms, each person suffers a slightly different subset. Your subset just didn't happen to include weight gain.

Also relevant--severity of disease, treated vs. untreated, length of untreated disease, adequacy of treatment.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost way more slowly than most MFPers, but I did it just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in this post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • srlittin
    srlittin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree. Thyoid has put my hair and nails to test, but after loosing 70 pounds with my TSA level reaching 34 I'd have where there's a will there's a way.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It IS harder, but NOT impossible. I have confirmed thyroid issues (enlargement, thyroid nodules, stupid hormone numbers--not enough for meds & I HATE meds--irrational fear of meds, for me), but I will never let it be my excuse to give up.

So what? I WANT so badly to be the person who loses eating 1700 cals a day (many on my FL can with similar stats and activity levels). But, I must eat a wee bit less (nothing drastic, just 100 less than calculators say--I know, since my BMR has been tested), and I must burn harder during my workouts to get the edge on my deficit.

All it means (for me, YMMV) is that I must incorporate a little harder cardio and eventually will work on building muscle mass (once I'm done losing) to raise my effective BMR and TDEE to be able to "eat like a normal person" and maintain. Even so, that's not much different than others' healthy goals--HIIT cardio and heavy lifting while on a reasonable deficit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It really is easy to make excuses. I don't have hypothyroidism, but my tests have shown that I lean toward a hyperthyroid, and I have certainly experienced eating more than my MFP cohorts to lose weight and to maintain. It's a real reminder to me of how much I was eating when I put on 30 pounds over a five year period- and I was eating ALOT.

It doesn't matter what medical issues we have, we just have to find the calorie balance that is correct for us.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    We have to work at it harder than the average person, but as per my ticker it can be done!! I think getting your levels right is the first step, kicking *kitten* and takin names is the next!!! \m/
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    <---- Has Hashimoto's.

If you have Hashimoto's and are being successfully treated, it will NOT effect your ability to lose weight.

Again - if you blood work is now normal, you can lose weight just as easily (or with the same amount of work) as someone who does not have Hashimoto's.

I see that used an an excuse over and over again, and it just isn't a valid one.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you blood work is now normal, you can lose weight just as easily (or with the same amount of work) as someone who does not have Hashimoto's.
    I lost long before my levels were normal. Meds relieve the fatigue, so I can be more active. But logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly was the key to losing weight. I thought I was gaining "for no good reason," but logging showed me I was eating way too much. (I think Hashimoto's has messed up my hunger cues.)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    <---- Has Hashimoto's.

If you have Hashimoto's and are being successfully treated, it will NOT effect your ability to lose weight.

Again - if you blood work is now normal, you can lose weight just as easily (or with the same amount of work) as someone who does not have Hashimoto's.

I see that used an an excuse over and over again, and it just isn't a valid one.

Yes, if you are adequately treated then you should lose or gain weight exactly as you would have done if you did not have thyroid disease.

However, there are a lot of people out there who have undiagnosed thyroid disorders, or who are under-treated for them. In addition, the guidelines for treatment recommended by the Endocrinologists are much stricter than those used by Family Practice Doctors, who haven't updated their guideline numbers in *decades* and leave many people untreated who the Endocrinologists and Internists (whose guidelines are also stale but not as bad as the FP docs) would treat.

So because it is under-identified and often under-treated, a lot of people with thyroid disease really do have a harder time losing weight (or gaining it, if hyperthyroid).
  • Inspiration365
    Inspiration365 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have a thyroid problem and I have lost over 40 pounds in 5 month pushing myself as hard as I can!!!! it can be done!!!
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    <-- Hashimoto's hypothyroid AND polycystic ovarian syndrome -70lbs in 11 months but was on prescribed taboo 1200 calorie diet via doctor lol
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I agree! I have a thyroid problem and I have lost over 40 pounds in 5 month pushing myself as hard as I can!!!! it can be done!!!

Oh, YEAH!!!! I just want to interrupt the thread and say you have done WELL!! :love: :drinker: BRAVO! Look at that figure, so inspiring!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When we are faced with adversity, we have a choice to make... Make a way or make excuses.

We can choose to make a way by facing the challenge set before us and overcoming it or we can make excuses and rest in our pity party and those who enable us by attending.

It is July 4. Think back. What great President did not face adversity? They all did -- Lincoln, FDR, Truman, Reagan, Kennedy, Washington... It was not the adversity that defined their presidency but rather how they faced that challenge that defined their presidency.

It is the same with our road to health... We may face adversity, but it is what we do with it that counts.
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Amen! Before I had my car accident and gained back weight, I was at my perfect goal weight and fitness level. It definitely can be done as many others can attest. I haven't been this heavy in a long time, but I know that with diet I can lose weight albeit slower than average (I also have adrenal problems and due to my car accident I went into adrenal crisis... I was placed on really high dose steroids for a lengthy period and ballooned up). I'm optimistic that once I'm cleared for physical activity (still on bed rest from surgeries correcting orthopedic injuries) I will have even greater success in shedding the pounds!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    GUESS WHAT! Your not like everybody else. If you were we would all be like you. So calm down grow some compassion or shut up.
    Wow. This is rude.

Who are you directing this at?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I guess people do make excuses but if you have been successful help show them the way. No ranting needed. Well done on your success