Thyroid RANT

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What would be helpful is if you could provide more specifics in what they should do to help themselves. I can't believe none of them are trying.

make a commitment and follow through on a diet and excersize routine even when we feel tired and results are slow, stick it out.

And they dont try cuz its harder then regular people, we are always tired, aching, hungry. Like most people when results arenet instant or as quick as others, we give up.

The advice is dont give up or use it as an excuse, eat at a defecit and it WILL happen.

Ta. So much nicer than how u started the post.

It wasnt ment to be "nice" or helpful, hence the capitolized "RANT" title
    We all get that.

The question is why. What is wrong with you? Why do you feel so inadequate that you have to start threads showing off how much better you are?

What is wrong with you that makes you do that?

I am sorry that is your interpretation, your problem, not mine.
    Why do you think you started the thread that, by your own admission, was not meant to be nice or helpful, but just to rant about people who have medical conditions?

Also, very interested in how you controlled your thyroid problem with diet and exercise, lol, seeing as it isn't possible. It's not Type II Diabetes, it's a thyroid. It can't be fixed or controlled by diet and exercise.

Why do you think you went online and began a discussion about how you are better than other people?

I am sorry you feel inadequate and then take my opinion as a personal attack at being better then you.

And yes when I was young my hormone levels went down with diet and excersize and for many years I did not have to medicate. Time and age cought up with me and sadly that is not the case anymore.

As I stated before I am sorry you are butt hurt, but you chose to open, read, and respond to this post.

In the spirit of this post, you have control over yourself. If this post bothers you then click away from it, why let it anger you?

Besides we all know what is on the internet is true! DUH!
    Thyroids cannot be fixed with diet and exercise.

You didn't attacked me, personally. I don't feel personally attacked.

You said you didn't start this to be helpful or nice. You said you didn't start this because you feel inadequate.

So, why did you start this?

What caused you to do it?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    How's the weather up there?

:laugh: :heart:
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am really tired of the endless "hypothyroid" posts. "I cant lose weight because of my hypothyroid...."

Geuss what, YOU CAN! I did and SO CAN YOU

Does it make you feel tired, more hungry and lethargic when you thyroid is off? YES IT DOES

Having a hypothyroid is not a free pass into laziville, it just means you have to dig deep and WORK HARDER than other people, it does not make your fitness goals IMPOSSIBLE

SO STOP BLAMING YOUR THYROID!

-End Rant-

I agree that thyroid issues (any other health problem really) are not a free pass into Laziville.

They are definitely a free pass into Adviceville, so long as the person asking is willing to listen and learn instead of whine and complain.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

If you have Hashimoto's and are being successfully treated, it will NOT effect your ability to lose weight.

THIS. This is key!!!! If the treatment isn't right, things will be harder. I will say when I was first diagnosed and the docs struggled with getting my levels near normal, I could barely function.

I've had my RMR tested (before and after thyroid) and my metabolism is slower, so I eat less. It's about accepting what is and making the necessary sacrifices to get what you want. I also love the gym and lifting weights. Building muscle really helps physically and mentally!
  • Kalikel
    Options
    What would be helpful is if you could provide more specifics in what they should do to help themselves. I can't believe none of them are trying.

make a commitment and follow through on a diet and excersize routine even when we feel tired and results are slow, stick it out.

And they dont try cuz its harder then regular people, we are always tired, aching, hungry. Like most people when results arenet instant or as quick as others, we give up.

The advice is dont give up or use it as an excuse, eat at a defecit and it WILL happen.

We all get that.

The question is why. What is wrong with you? Why do you feel so inadequate that you have to start threads showing off how much better you are?

Why do you think you started the thread that, by your own admission, was not meant to be nice or helpful, but just to rant about people who have medical conditions?

Also, very interested in how you controlled your thyroid problem with diet and exercise, lol, seeing as it isn't possible. It's not Type II Diabetes, it's a thyroid. It can't be fixed or controlled by diet and exercise.

Why do you think you went online and began a discussion about how you are better than other people?

I am sorry you feel inadequate and then take my opinion as a personal attack at being better then you.

And yes when I was young my hormone levels went down with diet and excersize and for many years I did not have to medicate. Time and age cought up with me and sadly that is not the case anymore.

As I stated before I am sorry you are butt hurt, but you chose to open, read, and respond to this post.

In the spirit of this post, you have control over yourself. If this post bothers you then click away from it, why let it anger you?

You said you didn't start this to be helpful or nice. You said you didn't start the because you feel inadequate.

People whinning about their thyroids and medical conditions, it is annoying.

If I did not have low thyroid levels when I was younger due to diet and excersize then my doctor should be addressed, but that is neither here nor there.

I am on medication and have been for a very long time, and oh yeah I lost weight, had a tumor and brain anuerism and almost died, twice, was bed bound, hospital bound and immobile, had to learn to walk talk and feed myself and cant feel half my face still....but hey I lost weight....

Just general annoyance at "helpless" people and their lack of self respect and discipline.
    Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Some thyroid problems can, and do, prevent weight loss. Not all, but some. Your whole premise is flawed. I was chalking it up to ignorance, but now you've been told that not everyone is like you and some people have bigger problems.

A general annoyance?

You couldn't add it to another thread?

You had to start yelling at people and telling everyone how much better you are because you are "generally annoyed?"

Why does it annoy you?

And what made the change from just a general annoyance into beginning a thread?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

We all get that.

You said you didn't start this to be helpful or nice. You said you didn't start the because you feel inadequate.

If I did not have low thyroid levels when I was younger due to diet and excersize then my doctor should be addressed, but that is neither here nor there.

I am on medication and have been for a very long time, and oh yeah I lost weight, had a tumor and brain anuerism and almost died, twice, was bed bound, hospital bound and immobile, had to learn to walk talk and feed myself and cant feel half my face still....but hey I lost weight....

Just general annoyance at "helpless" people and their lack of self respect and discipline.

but why do you care, its their problem not yours? Seeing as you dont want to be helpful.
    the thing is and this is why i prompted you to give advice is because sometimes people just dont know how. So they might blame the illness, medication etc. I know its not the same but i used to blame the pill shot for putting on weight until i realised no its what i am eating that makes me put on weight and i need to control it.

I have seen another thread not long ago with a lady asking for advice with the same illness, so people need help.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    everybody has ranted and anti-ranted. can we move on, please. Its July 4th in US, a cheerful holiday~
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I am really tired of the endless "hypothyroid" posts. "I cant lose weight because of my hypothyroid...."

Does it make you feel tired, more hungry and lethargic when you thyroid is off? YES IT DOES

Having a hypothyroid is not a free pass into laziville, it just means you have to dig deep and WORK HARDER than other people, it does not make your fitness goals IMPOSSIBLE

-End Rant-
    Bulldookies honey, if you are not medicated you really can't lose weight. Before I was diagnosed I was doing all sorts of things, like running up and down the stairs 20 times every day, but not one pound budged. I had the fortunate circumstance of being friends with a weight lifter online at the time, and I did the things he told me to do and none of it worked...he said you are metabolically screwed up, go to the Doctor. I did, first Doctor "forgot" to do the thyroid test she said she would, dropped her, a year later the Doctor I still have diagnosed me.

If you are not medicated properly, it is very possible to not be able to lose weight, and having gone through what I did (when the whole time I WAS trying to help myself) a post like yours just ticks me off.

IF a person with thyroid disease is properly medicated, yes, they can lose weight, but the fact of the matter is a lot of Doctors just give you Synthroid, "here, take one of these a day", if it doesn't work for you, they don't try other meds. It is hard to find a good Doctor, the first Endo I had made me suffer for like 6 months even though my sex hormones were totally wacked out because of my thyroid being wacked out and I was a mess. Lose weight...I was lucky I could get out of bed, I could not even do my job properly after a few months of that.

Stop being so darn judgmental, you don't know if people are medicated properly or not. If you have TD and can't lose weight, find a better Doctor and be proactive, because otherwise you might not get the help you need.

Also T4 synthetic meds don't work for everybody, some of us don't convert it to T3 the active hormone as well and we either need additional T3 or dessicated prescription meds (that is what I take). It literally took years for my body to recover from not being properly diagnosed and not being properly treated. This is why I do NOT judge those having a hard time, I don't know where they are at and neither do you.
  • Kalikel
    Options

We all get that.

What levels were low? When you got older?

I'm still eager to hear about how you think thyroids can be controlled with diet and exercise, too.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    It's independence day and I can rant aimlessly if I chose, its my american made right!

Happy 4th!
    You can and I can have my opinion that you are being judgmental when you don't really know your subject matter, I know that because if you did, you never would have said what you said.

I guess consider the source applies.
  • Kalikel
    Options

-End Rant-
    Bulldookies honey, if you are not medicated you really can't lose weight. Before I was diagnosed I was doing all sorts of things, like running up and down the stairs 20 times every day, but not one pound budged. I had the fortunate circumstance of being friends with a weight lifter online at the time, and I did the things he told me to do and none of it worked...he said you are metabolically screwed up, go to the Doctor. I did, first Doctor "forgot" to do the thyroid test she said she would, dropped her, a year later the Doctor I still have diagnosed me.

If you are not medicated properly, it is very possible to not be able to lose weight, and having gone through what I did (when the whole time I WAS trying to help myself) a post like yours just ticks me off.

IF a person with thyroid disease is properly medicated, yes, they can lose weight, but the fact of the matter is a lot of Doctors just give you Synthroid, "here, take one of these a day", if it doesn't work for you, they don't try other meds. It is hard to find a good Doctor, the first Endo I had made me suffer for like 6 months even though my sex hormones were totally wacked out because of my thyroid being wacked out and I was a mess. Lose weight...I was lucky I could get out of bed, I could not even do my job properly after a few months of that.

Stop being so darn judgmental, you don't know if people are medicated properly or not. If you have TD and can't lose weight, find a better Doctor and be proactive, because otherwise you might not get the help you need.
    Another person who had trouble getting diagnosed and we've lost nearly the same amount of weight (though you're ahead by five pounds.)

The Synthroid (well, levo, I won't pay for the real thing) worked for me, after dosage adjustments. I've read before, here, how the Synthroid didn't work for people and how hard that is. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Yes, it is a little harder and never gets as easy as other people have it. If you're diagnosed and can be treated, it becomes possible. I'm always encouraging people to talk to endos, lol.

Getting my thyroid issues fixed was the best thing that ever happened to me, after the brith of my son. I'm eternally grateful to the good docs.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    :yawn:

Because having a challenging, horrible and difficult thing happen to you means you can later judge anyone you like, and then retort that they never had it as bad as you if they disagree with you, or allow you to belittle their experience with that 'first world problems' guff.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Again, how is it that you think thyroid hormone levels can be fixed with diet and exercise?
    It's independence day and I can rant aimlessly if I chose, its my american made right!

Happy 4th!
    You can.

The question is why you do. Why do you start topics about how you are better than others?

You said you did not start this to be helpful or nice. You said you didn't start it out of deep feelings of inadequacy.

So, why did a "general annoyance" with people who have medical problems turn into beginning a thread about how you are better than they are?

Nobody is debating your right to do it.

Just...why?
  • perseverance14
    Options
    If you really have thyroid disease, there is no "cure". There is temporary thyroiditis some people get (which ironically, can be brought on by too much exercise), but that is not thyroid disease, that is a TEMPORARY inflammatory condition. Anybody who thinks they "cured" their temporary thyroiditis is just ignorant and does not understand the difference between the temporary condition and the real (and life long) disease.

Also, if you have Hashimoto's (I do) it is like a roller coaster, you have your up and down times for years and years, your hyper and your hypo periods and in-between, until finally, after many years you become permanently hypo. Therefore, if you have this condition, you may think you "cured' yourself, but you may also be in for a rude awakening in years to come. Therefore, you should get an antibody test (can prove or disprove Hashi's) and if you have it, there is a school of thought that very low dose thyroid hormone can keep it from progressing as quickly.

If you REALLY have thyroid disease, you have to find a Doctor who will work with you to find what medications and combinations of medications work best for you, it is not one size fits all.

If you are not medicated properly, all I can tell you is me and many hypothyroid people I know (half the women on the maternal side of my family have Hashi's) you can have a bizarre reaction to exercise, like it totally wipes you out, way out of the bounds of how somebody should feel in relation to the particular exercise. If that is happening to you, you are not on the right meds, find a better Doctor, and I wish you luck because I know good Doctors are not always easy to find. Don't let anybody discourage you, and certainly don't listen to judgmental people, just keep looking for the help you need until you find it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    As a fellow thyroid sufferer i understand what the op is saying. Also am i the only one that suffers from severe legs cramps? Rapid heart beat??
    The leg cramps are probably unrelated, but I had palpitations often when I was hyperthyroid, and occasionally now that I'm hypo.

I discussed mine with my endocrinologist, and he said not to worry. Definitely talk to your doctor(s) about both problems.