Thyroid RANT

Options

Replies

• s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not too sure how this thread devolved. Im pretty sure OP stated she has thyroid issues and was just saying it is in fact possible to lose weight even with thyroid issues. People need to stop jumping up and down. Its friday. Everyone needs to chillax a bit.
    I am lucky that I have a functioning thyroid but I have other medical conditions that impact my ability to lose weight. That being said it is possible just slower than most. Slow is good. Slow is sustainiable.

Anyway. Happy friday!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    KETOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    OP, I have the opposite problem--hyperthyroid. I was so worried about gaining weight when put on medication but with counting calories and exercising I have it under control. You're right, it can be done. But first people need to get their thyroid under control and THEN they can work on their weight.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not too sure how this thread devolved. Im pretty sure OP stated she has thyroid issues and was just saying it is in fact possible to lose weight even with thyroid issues. People need to stop jumping up and down. Its friday. Everyone needs to chillax a bit.
    I am lucky that I have a functioning thyroid but I have other medical conditions that impact my ability to lose weight. That being said it is possible just slower than most. Slow is good. Slow is sustainiable.

Anyway. Happy friday!

THIS!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    saying this
    We all get that.

and then this
    The question is why. What is wrong with you? Why do you feel so inadequate that you have to start threads showing off how much better you are?

What is wrong with you that makes you do that?
    in the same post makes absolutely zero sense
    She said she wasn't trying to be nice, but was ranting.

Why? Why does she feel the need to rant?

What causes the inadequacy that leads to starting threads announcing that she is better than others?

Something is wrong there. There is a reason she felt she had to that.

Deep down, she doesn't feel as good as other people. She has an anger. She needs to strike out, but can't do it in real life and so began a thread to put other people down on the Internet. She is trying to make herself feel better. She thinks that by being nasty to others and announcing how great she is, that she will feel better. And it works for a bit.

But something is wrong. She needs to address whatever makes her feel inadequate in the first place. Then she will be a happier person and not need to start threads that pick on people with medical issues just to make her out to be better. Because she won't feel, deep down, like she's worse.

Maybe therapy?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    OP, I have the opposite problem--hyperthyroid. I was so worried about gaining weight when put on medication but with counting calories and exercising I have it under control. You're right, it can be done. But first people need to get their thyroid under control and THEN they can work on their weight.

I thought hyperthyroid makes some lose weight quickly although they constantly feel hungry?
  • s_pekz
    Options
    saying this
    We all get that.

and then this
    The question is why. What is wrong with you? Why do you feel so inadequate that you have to start threads showing off how much better you are?

What causes the inadequacy that leads to starting threads announcing that she is better than others?

Deep down, she doesn't feel as good as other people. She has an anger. She needs to strike out, but can't do it in real life and so began a thread to put other people down on the Internet. She is trying to make herself feel better. She thinks that by being nasty to others and announcing how great she is, that she will feel better. And it works for a bit.

But something is wrong. She needs to address whatever makes her feel inadequate in the first place. Then swill be a happier person and not need to start threads that pick on people with medical issues just to make her out to be better. Because she won't feel, deep down, like she's worse.

Maybe therapy?

Dude. Chill. OP said she has thyroid issues. She gets it. How is what your saying any help to anyone. You are pissed because you feel she is being mean to people with medical issues so you call her "swill" and "inadequate"? thats pretty screwed up.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    saying this
    We all get that.

and then this

But something is wrong. She needs to address whatever makes her feel inadequate in the first place. Then swill be a happier person and not need to start threads that pick on people with medical issues just to make her out to be better. Because she won't feel, deep down, like she's worse.

Maybe therapy?
    or you're reading way too much into this because OP made a post that you didnt like. people have to rant sometimes.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Throughout the years I have learned slowly not to judge others just based on the face value...I don't know them and their lives. So maybe some of the "blame" posts are just another type of "ranting", not necessarily meaning they have given up? I know I rant a lot with my friends about my weight loss stuggle but I know I haven't give it up and won't give it up...

Just a thought.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    saying this
    We all get that.

and then this

Maybe therapy?

Dude. Chill. OP said she has thyroid issues. She gets it. How is what your saying any help to anyone. You are pissed because you feel she is being mean to people with medical issues so you call her "swill" and "inadequate"? thats pretty screwed up.
    That wasn't supposed to be "swill". It was supposed to be "she will." iPad. Sorry.

Inadequate, though, is obvious. There is no other reason for the thread.
  • s_pekz
    Options
    saying this
    We all get that.

and then this

Maybe therapy?

That wasn't supposed to be "swill". It was supposed to be "she will." iPad. Sorry.

Maybe she felt like ranting. Whats it to you. I rant all the time. Its cathartic. It doesnt meant I'm inadequate.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I thought hyperthyroid makes some lose weight quickly although they constantly feel hungry?

Not always (/wave). I could still out-eat my metabolism when I my thyroid went hyper during and right after my last pregnancy.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

if anyone here is coming off as inadequate, its you caused by your attempts to demonize the OP. she posted a rant and you're honestly taking it this seriously?

Why? Why do you feel the need to defend?

What causes the inadequacy that leads to hijacking threads announcing that you are better than others?

Something is wrong there. There is a reason you feel you have to that.

Deep down, you don't feel as good as other people. You have anger. You need to strike out, but can't do it in real life and so you began to hijack a thread to put other people down on the Internet. You are trying to make yourself feel better. You thinks that by being nasty to others and announcing how great you are, that you will feel better. And it works for a bit.

But something is wrong. You need to address whatever makes you feel inadequate in the first place. Then you will be a happier person and not need to hijack threads that pick on people with medical issues just to make you out to be better. Because you won't feel, deep down, like you're worse.

Maybe therapy?
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I know when I was diagnosed (Hashimoto's) and went to my very next session with my trainer and told him the news, he asked me: "so, what are you going to do now?" and I responded: "I'm going to have to work twice as hard and it's likely to take me twice as long to lose the weight, but it's not going to stop me." He nodded and said: "let's go." and then kicked my *kitten*.

It's taken me two years to lose just over 90 pounds. In that time, I was diagnosed with the thyroid, plus PCOS, plus I tore most of the ligaments in my ankle that took about nine months to heal.

It's slow, it's grueling, and at times, unbelievably depressing to struggle with each pound. BUT, it can be done. Having said that, I do have compassion for those who are so overwhelmed with their diagnosis and think it's impossible. You are going to have to dig deep and find that inner beast mode.
  • sophrosynic
    Options
    I don't really suffer from any illness that prevent me from losing weight. I guess I am super lucky in that regard.

But I come from a family of people with thyroid issues, both hyper and hypo.

The issue, really, runs a lot deeper than what you think is just an "excuse". I don't think anyone in their life wants to use illness as an excuse for not doing the things they want to achieve. But sometimes, for many people, that is just how the cards fall. I am happy that you found the strength within you to push through, even when times were rough. But not everyone is as blessed as you are in that regard. For some people, illness fall on the much more debilitating end of the spectrum. It's just the way it happens, and quite frankly, it's difficult to discern that they are using it as an "excuse" simply based off the fact that they are telling you about their health issues. And it is never as easy as saying, "Stop using your illness as an excuse!!!" If it were, wouldn't we all be much happier?

I think a bit more sympathy is in order here. Again, I am happy that you are doing well. But rather than telling people who have some very real problems that their ill health is simply an "excuse" for them not living life the way they want, it would be much more fruitful to see where they are coming from first and sympathize with them. Being annoyed or ranting at them that they should be doing better is, to me, only making the problem worse. Someone who is already discouraged about their life isn't going to magically change their entire perspective just because of being curtly told to straighten out. Tough love doesn't always work. If it does for you, great. But for most people, it only makes them feel worse and more discouraged.

I agree, there are many people who DO in fact use mild illnesses as an excuse. But like I said, I don't think shouting at them is going to help. I would much rather find out why they make such excuses and tackle the subject from that perspective. I think it's a much kinder approach, and in the long run, probably much more effective and encouraging and helpful.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    As a fellow thyroid sufferer i understand what the op is saying. Also am i the only one that suffers from severe legs cramps? Rapid heart beat??
  • Kalikel
    Options
    What would be helpful is if you could provide more specifics in what they should do to help themselves. I can't believe none of them are trying.

make a commitment and follow through on a diet and excersize routine even when we feel tired and results are slow, stick it out.

And they dont try cuz its harder then regular people, we are always tired, aching, hungry. Like most people when results arenet instant or as quick as others, we give up.

The advice is dont give up or use it as an excuse, eat at a defecit and it WILL happen.

Ta. So much nicer than how u started the post.

It wasnt ment to be "nice" or helpful, hence the capitolized "RANT" title
    We all get that.

I am sorry that is your interpretation, your problem, not mine.
    Why do you think you started the thread that, by your own admission, was not meant to be nice or helpful, but just to rant about people who have medical conditions?

Also, very interested in how you controlled your thyroid problem with diet and exercise, lol, seeing as it isn't possible. It's not Type II Diabetes, it's a thyroid. It can't be fixed or controlled by diet and exercise.

Why do you think you went online and began a discussion about how you are better than other people?
  • s_pekz
    Options
    An understand and kind approach got me to where I am today. People said with my medical condition it was normal to gain weight and very hard to get it off so not to worry. But now I'm overweight, low energy and generally unhappy. It takes a kick in the pants but sometimes thats what people need. I had to come to terms with the fact that it is possible to lose weight with strange medical issues. You just have to be adaptable. Being nice and easy with myself got me here. Now i need to shape up and get my life back on track.
    /end rant.

just kidding not done. I have all the empathy in the world for people with my medical condition. But that doesn't meant that their life is over and it is pre determined. The OP is simply saying that with her medical issues it is possible to lose weight. If anything it should be seen as encouraging.
    The best help to people with strange medical issues is for someone else with that issue to say "hey life can get better. you just have to push for it"

/really end rant.