What is your jogging speed?

Options
1235»

Replies

• amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was at a 3.8-4.0 on the treadmill. Today I can manage a 4.6-4.8 pretty comfortably, 5.0 isn't a struggle as it used to be. 6.0 is where it gets a little tougher.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I'm usually around the 6:30min/km - 5:30min/km!

Keep it up and good luck :drinker:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Annnnnnnnnd today was 7.1 MPH (8.45 minutes/mile). Getting there, slowly.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I tend to regulate it based on the girls running in front of me down the road. Can't creep if I pass them.

For shorter runs (under 2 miles): 6-7 miles/hr
    For longer runs (over 2 miles): 5-6 miles/hr
  • modquiltgirl
    Options
    I have the C25K app and just finished Week 3 Day 1 today, I jog at about 4.1 and walk at 3.8 on the treadmill. I don't excercise outside, I live in Texas, it's too hot! I really like the app, but it's a little buggy so just be sure to keep track of what you're doing and not open too many other things at the same time. I thought this week would kill me because I had to job for 3 minutes at one time, but I did it! I honestly thing 4 is not that slow.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    ~11min/mile right now, but I'm a pretty new runner.
    I usually run between 30-60 minutes at a time, depending on how much energy I have that day.
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Short version? I'm slower than a galapagos turtle on Internet Explorer.

Long version? I've been 'running' since 2012, but my intervals were only 60 seconds running / 90 walking. I have a lot of weight to lose, and a lot of years of smoking to undo (I have EIA and use both Singulair and an inhaler daily).

A few weeks ago, I started C25K again - I wanted to really be able to RUN (no matter how slowly) for 30 minutes. I'm currently at W5D2, but that 8-Minute run made me feel like a rock star! I was going 3.6mph (on the treadmill), but the rule is that you should be able to hold a conversation, right? So, that's my speed. In time, I'll get faster. For now, I'm proud of my 16mm pace!
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ive been running about 6months. Started the C25K at 4 mph and even 30 seconds at this pace made me breathless. I am now running comfortably at 5.1mph for up to an hour at a time. I increased my speed by .1mph every couple of weeks , it seems to work for me. I also run the last few minutes at 6.5mph because I like to see how long I can go flat out before im spent, which is around 2-3 minutes at the minute!
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been running since March (this time) and I'm still slower than a sloth on 'ludes, but every month I make it my goal to suck a little less than the month before. So far I'm succeeding; according to my handy dandy Excel spreadsheet my average speed for May was 3.39 mph; for June it was 3.52; and for July so far I'm at 3.58. I can comfortably chug along for an hour now (when I started I could only manage a couple of minutes - I was going too fast) and am aiming to run a 5k in under 45 minutes. Once I hit that mark I plan to start adding more time and distance to my runs until I can run 5 miles in an hour. Once I hit that, who knows?

I mostly run on a treadmill in my nice climate controlled gym because temperature extremes (thanks, Missouri) make my lungs curl up and sulk. My doctor recently diagnosed me with mild exercise induced asthma and gave me an inhaler so that may start improving. I've already noticed less chest achiness and weird whistling noises on my runs.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I used to be quite fast, but I am very slow now (or was before I got plantar fasciitis and had to quit). But during this most recent running stint, I improved my time by about 2 minutes per mile in 4 months. The key is to train smarter, not harder. Don't do intervals but once or twice a week. Do most of your mileage at a nice slow easy pace. I use a heart rate monitor and am pretty religious about staying aerobic 90% of the time. That and slowly increasing your mileage will speed you up in no time. I got plantar fasciitis only because I was running in crappy shoes. :sad:
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I just started running in May but I've been exercising regularly 6x a week for years so I started out in good shape. I've never been a runner so I'm slow. When I started out, I couldn't run more than about 2 1/2 miles without a walk break and that was around 11-12 minute mile depending on the day. I got up to about 5 miles and under 11 minutes per mile (one great run under 10 minutes per mile) but then the weather warmed up (I live in Texas so even my morning runs are HOT) and now I'm back to over 11 minutes per mile and running 3-4 miles. I figure I'll stick it out through the summer, try to work on increasing distance and not worry about speed because once it cools down I'll definitely be able to speed up. Bottom line, don't beat yourself up over speed...a 6 minute mile or a 12 minute mile is still a mile! :)
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I used to be quite fast, but I am very slow now (or was before I got plantar fasciitis and had to quit). But during this most recent running stint, I improved my time by about 2 minutes per mile in 4 months. The key is to train smarter, not harder. Don't do intervals but once or twice a week. Do most of your mileage at a nice slow easy pace. I use a heart rate monitor and am pretty religious about staying aerobic 90% of the time. That and slowly increasing your mileage will speed you up in no time. I got plantar fasciitis only because I was running in crappy shoes. :sad:

My soul weeps for you. Poor thing.
  • tcamp02
    tcamp02 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also use MapMyRun to track my distance and wear a Polar FT60 heart rate monitor to monitor my heart rate. That's more important that speed.
  • didans
    didans Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I run between 4.1 and 4.6. Usually about halfway through the C25k workout, I'll increase the speed. I'd like to comfortably get to 5.0 by the end of the c25k program.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Honeslty I wouldn't worry about pace I would worry about the amount of minutes you are running. The Coach to 5k aps are great even if you are never going to actully run 3.1 miles. They have you run for a few min then walk and build you up with time. After you can run for say 30 min straight then work on your pace.

Just remember KEEPING YOUR FEET MOVING IS KEY .....NOT HOW FAST YOU FINISH THE RACE !!!

This! When I started (also on the treadmill), I was probably running 16 min miles. Now a comfortable pace is 11.19 mins, but the most important thing is to break a sweat and be able to talk when doing it. A lot of huffing and puffing means that you are running too fast. Your level of fitness with increase exponentially, I promise, if you keep it up. There is an uncomfortable feeling when you start but it goes away esp after you break a sweat. I haven't tried the c25K but heard that it was a good program. I also alternate running and walking and still do. I walked/ran my first half marathon in May and loved it. You can do this!
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I may be slow, but I lap everyone on the couch!
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just finished my 5K run today, 11:00/Mile or 5.5 mph, which is a personal best for me!