"Stop the Beauty Madness" Campaign

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Major General Butler knew what war was for. Nothing has changed.

Oh wait, I'm supposed to stay on topic this time.

What is beauty for?
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    There is so much beauty going on in this thread right now, I can hardly stand it.

Sometimes people remind me why we focus so much on their looks and not on their brains

This :laugh:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I'm not stick skinny or a blonde. I'm gorgeous. I'm also 30.

Hollywood and fashion have a very narrow definition of beauty. The biggest issue here is being skinny, not being blonde.

Now, am I advocating overweight be the new definition of beauty? Certainly not. Healthy...why isn't healthy the definition of beauty? Fit? Why isn't fit a definition of beauty? There's so many sides to this argument and this is one issue that is not likely to be resolved any time soon.
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    it is cultural. In the west, a blonde girl will almost always symbolize beauty. A tiny one in US, with some more curves in Europe.

But In Japan, a blonde skinny girl is not a symbol or beauty, nor is she in Africa or in the middle east.

There is nothing bad with that, it is just cultural

You are a white man. You do not have the experience of a woman behind you to back up "there is nothing bad with that." Plenty of women will tell you is it bad. You didn't even read what the OP wrote, because she said we should QUESTION why our culture says this is the norm.

Right. Because there are no standards and norms based on appearance for men. he has no experience with beauty standards to back him up huh

Do you even think before typing?

How about you stop and think for a *kitten* second? Or read the OP? THE ORIGINAL POST IS ABOUT WOMEN'S BEAUTY. NOT MEN.
    Men are not objectified as women are. Women are made to set the standard of beauty because the male gaze is always upon us, sizing us up. Men are behind us, prodding us into that standard, and women have internalized that misogyny.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have my views on beauty. I'm happy with that. If anyone has issues with what my views are, that is their problem. The world can do as it pleases.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    it is cultural. In the west, a blonde girl will almost always symbolize beauty. A tiny one in US, with some more curves in Europe.

But In Japan, a blonde skinny girl is not a symbol or beauty, nor is she in Africa or in the middle east.

You are a white man. You do not have the experience of a woman behind you to back up "there is nothing bad with that." Plenty of women will tell you is it bad. You didn't even read what the OP wrote, because she said we should QUESTION why our culture says this is the norm.

Right. Because there are no standards and norms based on appearance for men. he has no experience with beauty standards to back him up huh

Do you even think before typing?

How about you stop and think for a *kitten* second? Or read the OP? THE ORIGINAL POST IS ABOUT WOMEN'S BEAUTY. NOT MEN.
    Men are not objectified as women are. Women are made to set the standard of beauty because the male gaze is always upon us, sizing us up. Men are behind us, prodding us into that standard, and women have internalized that misogyny.

And yet men also have pressures for standards of beauty as well as standards for sexual prowess and financial success.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Its HARD work being this pretty!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Memo to the anti-beauty crusaders:

The solution is not to change society; you'll never do that. The solution is to change yourself or get the hell over it. And if it makes you that freaking bitter that you don't meet society's definition of "beautiful," then some ruthless self-assessment and self-improvement might be exactly what you need. It's not society's fault that you have a defeatist attitude. And spare me your attempt to convince me that you love yourself. If you did, you wouldn't be whining about what other people think of you and why only old dudes ever hit on you.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Memo to the anti-beauty crusaders:

The solution is not to change society; you'll never do that. The solution is to change yourself or get the hell over it. And if it makes you that freaking bitter that you don't meet society's definition of "beautiful," then some ruthless self-assessment and self-improvement might be exactly what you need. It's not society's fault that you have a defeatist attitude. And spare me your attempt to convince me that you love yourself. If you did, you wouldn't be whining about what other people think of you and why only old dudes ever hit on you.

*Slow Claps...picks up the mic you just dropped hoping your awesomeness rubs off on me...*
    :drinker:
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options

My mom empowered me to be whoever the hell I want and ignore what people thought about "beauty". I was a tomboy, I never wore make up and I did "guy" things. I have a very strong sense of self now and nobody can take that from me by calling me names or talking bad about how I look.

I think if you want to try to change media you go ahead and do that. In the end it doesn't even matter why our culture thinks skinny blonde girls are attractive (really though, not everyone thinks that). I'll be over here empowering the boys and girls around me to just enjoy being who they are. (Yes, boys get it too. http://www.tickld.com/x/what-people-really-need-to-know-about-sexism-this-is-so-refreshingly-accurate)

^^Yep.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    The solution is to change yourself

That's exactly what I'm doing. But I figured out the solution to the old dudes. Time for a total makeover, not just my weight. Hair, make-up, clothes, and attitude. I'll go as far as a blue and purple Mohawk and facial piercings if that's what it takes to scare away the grandpas.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with the pursuit of beauty?

Nothing until she gets a restraining order. :laugh:

Is that when she handcuffs herself? That is efficient!

Afraid not. You men, you're getting so you want us to do all the work these days. I mean I get how it's hard to approach someone with the cuffs behind your back when you're shy, but culturally, you still have to make the first move sometimes!

I hate handcuffs. I would rather they just use chloroform on me and get it over with. Sometimes, I like it when I am unconscious.....
  • Meerataila
    Options
    I hate handcuffs. I would rather they just use chloroform on me and get it over with. Sometimes, I like it when I am unconscious.....

:laugh: No, I gotta be conscious, because then I can nag him if he's not doing it right!
  • starseed777
    starseed777 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I didn't quote properly. Please see below.
  • starseed777
    starseed777 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    We women KNOW we are done with competing, done with comparing, and done with playing the ugly/beauty game.

We are?

Funny thing. Most women on our planet aren't and never were beautiful. Almost all of them marry and have children despite this. Or they earn a living if they have to. Maybe not as a supermodel but the rent still gets paid and there'll be food on the table. Somehow, life does go on for the average unbeautiful woman.

Now that I'm in my late forties, I notice that the women in my age group who were never particularly attractive have done better for themselves in the long run. Anyhow, as women get older it all evens out. The pretty ones, the ugly ones. We all turn into old hags at a certain point and we're no longer contenders. Usually much sooner than we initially realize. Oh well. I like not feeling the pressure of beauty competition. A perk of ageing, for those who can stomach it. :smile:

Thanks for this comment. Too funny. Interesting perspective!
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options

And yet men also have pressures for standards of beauty as well as standards for sexual prowess and financial success.

Definitely pressures for sexual prowess... MMMmmmmm :love:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think this is mainly an issue for us to think about in regards to young people.

As adults, I would hope that we learn to see ourselves realistically, and to accept ourselves as we are. Work to make changes or maintain what we have. Be ok that some people will find us attractive and some won't. And that it is ok to enjoy our outer appearance, and also good to not only be defined by that.

Young people sometimes deal with issues such as body dysmorphia or having been taught their only value is in their sexual appearance, or have wrong notions about what they think men want (or even try to harm their body in order to not be attractive). So, those are things to think about. Simply because we don't want silly issues like that to actually hold girls back from all the important areas of life that they could be learning and excelling in (I'm only talking about girls at this time because that is the topic, and also I have experience being a girl). I would think this is mainly an issue related to upbringing and home life. The home life can provide health and confidence or it can break kids down (abuse being the most extreme form of that). Yeah, those are tough issues, with no easy answers or solutions. But, we can heal ourselves, educate ourselves, and do better for our own children. Those are some of my thoughts on it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with the pursuit of beauty?

Nothing until she gets a restraining order. :laugh:

Is that when she handcuffs herself? That is efficient!

Afraid not. You men, you're getting so you want us to do all the work these days. I mean I get how it's hard to approach someone with the cuffs behind your back when you're shy, but culturally, you still have to make the first move sometimes!

:laugh: I already love you!