Where do you put your children so you can workout?

Options

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Give them a box. Kids love boxes. Hell, I love boxes.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    May I suggest the Goblin King?

giphy.gif
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    usually im a huge proponent of "make the time to exercise", which, quite frankly, you could do.
    (get up at 4, or stay up til 11)

however, after reading your OP, i'm going to go against my usual advice and say that perhaps you need to focus less on exercise and more on getting the rest you need and getting your kids on a better sleeping schedule.

7hrs of sleep is nowhere NEAR enough for children of that age.

the fact that you are putting them in timeout because they are coming to you when youre on the floor trying to exercise is a bit....unsettling.

i like bubbles idea of quiet time.
    this would allow you to have your time, and gives them some more structured 'downtime'.

good luck.

Truth... Children that age should be getting anywhere from 10-13 hours of sleep...

But in all seriousness... if they won't take a nap, then implementing a quiet time is key. My three year old takes a nap most days, but the days that she does not, she will play quietly in her room for an hour or two.
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I am in a similar situation as well and other than using the tv as a babysitter the only thing I can offer is to try to do a few 10 minute workouts during the day. I understand your frustration trust me. My children are a bit older so they do not nap either. When my kids were that young and would not nap I would take them for a drive until they fell asleep, then carried them in in the car seat so I did not wake them, lean them so they were in a more sleep position in the car seat where I could see them and work out. I wish you luck!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    My kids are the same ages. I put them in childcare a the YMCA where we belong (very affordable) def check one out if there's one nearby. I also jog with my double BOB (which I got used on Craigslist). I also do Zumba with them at home, they love it. There are lots of solutions. Even at the playground, you can do HIIT and bodyweight exercises.
  • KristaPerseveres
    KristaPerseveres Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I have a full time job, three kids, and no husband.

It's not impossible. When you're done making excuses, you'll find a way.

^^ This!! If you really want to do it, you will make it happen. There are many of us single moms who also work full-time or sometimes 2 jobs, yet can carve out time to make it work. The way you talk, I'm surprised you have time to sit at the computer and continue to comment on the forums, let alone shower. I think you can assume the role of "parent" and make them take a nap. I don't know any small kids that can go 17 hours non-stop, especially a 1 year old, and I would think they would be really crabby. Make a new rule....implement nap time, you're the mom, you can tell them what to do. Good luck!!
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say it, but you need to retrain your kids to follow a sleep schedule. I'm a single, working mom and believe you me, when my son was younger, he had a bed time and that was it. Bed at 8:00, you don't have to sleep, but you stay in that room and don't come out. He got it because it was always that way. You will have to train them. The one yr old is likely in a crib, right? That is one problem solved, put him in there and don't get him, no matter what kind of ruckus he raises. For the older one, a gate across the door so he can't get out. Let him call, cry, carry on, you just keep exercising and ignore it. They will eventually get it. You need time for you and they need to get proper sleep. You are the boss. If exercising and getting fit is important to you, you will find a way.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Give them a box. Kids love boxes. Hell, I love boxes.

Boxes like you too
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Even though we eat mostly healthy, and we are on the go constantly, I'm not losing any weight (in fact I've gained weight since being home and I semi blame stress among other things)....

Can anyone help me? Suggestions? Ideas? Point me in a direction? I really need some advice.

Stop blaming other things for your problems. If you're gaining weight you're probably overeating. That's the root of the problem. You can still be fat even if you exercise twice a day if you don't control your food intake.
    This. About 8 years ago, I used to run 15-20 miles a week and lift. I never lost weight (hovered around 150). You have to eat LESS than you burn, no matter how much you burn.

And to answer your question: Put the 1 year old in a playpen near you and the 3 year old is old enough to have enough discipline to "stay off of Mommy while she's working out". At least my 3 year old was.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would put them in a safe place, make sure they cannot escape said place and carry on.
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and I do workout videos at home: so i completely understand what you are going through. Here are my suggestions:
    1. Do it either before the wake up or after they go to sleep; wake up at 4:30am or 4:40am and do a 20-30min workout it counts!
    2. Start setting them a nap schedule: honestly this was hard for me too, but i made her take a nap at around 1-2pm and her daycare helped with that too. So, now she will go take a nap around that time almost everyday. it may take a while, but it works. so then when they nap you can workout
    3. You can even do small workouts like 5-10mins long while they are eating
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Your one year old and 3 year old only sleep 7 hours a day?

This! Seriously. 5am to 10pm with no naps. They need to sleep. MAKE them sleep. Then, just work out when they sleep.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Want me to watch them for you, dear? I have a bit of experience.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you really want to do this and are serious, you need to overhaul your sleep schedule and their sleep schedule. If they're 1 and 3, they can take naps during the day and you can exercise when they nap. I know they don't take them now, but you have the power to change that.

Alternately, you can get them a little playpen. Put them in there with some toys and books while you exercise.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Where did you put them while you wrote your really long post, OP?
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i had the same prob with the kids crawling over/under me.

i get up 45 mins early to workout before any else is up and before i have to go to/get ready for work.

problem solved - boom
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Want me to watch them for you, dear? I have a bit of experience.

Will you come to my house? I'm tired of parenting...
  • aynit
    aynit Posts: 43
    Options
    Try strapping them to your back?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Get blackout shades for their rooms and put your kids to bed earlier. My kids would sleep with the sun too, but in summer that is not enough sleep and is not good for their growing bodies.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My 6- and 8-year-olds sleep from 9 PM to about 7 AM. On school nights bedtime is 8 PM. Since yours are small I can see either letting them stay up late, or getting up early, but not both.