Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

Okay, you're just prying at that can of worms again, aren't you?

I am really not trying to....do I just need to shut the **** up???

Yes.

And this is why:

When a person gets SSDI (disability), they have to prove medically that they have a disability. They have provided medical records, been to medical or mental health professionals, sat in front of a judge, probably hired a lawyer, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they are disabled and cannot work. And yes, SSDI does open the door for several other programs, including SNAP, Vocational Rehabilitation HUD, etc. But people who receive SSDI have spent easily 2-3 years proving they are disabled. It is not an easy process in any way, shape, or form. So yes, you should STFU because obviously you have never worked within the system and have zero idea of what you are speaking.

Well, that puts my fears to rest, knowing that the system is foolproof, and no-one could ever possibly game the system to their advantage.

Any system can be gamed. Student Loans are gamed all the time. However, they are never really brought into question.

Can you enlighten me as to how this is done? For research purposes only lolol

You've never known anybody who "went to school" for the six years they spent drunk?

Oh. I don't care about that. I thought it was being stated that there was a way you could get out of paying them back.

Nevermind. LOL. Carry on.

Bankruptcy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If you're overweight you can change that. It might require actions you're unable or unwilling to take, but it's doable.

If you're depressed, in many cases you can receive treatment to either surpress or eliminate the issue.

Unfortunately...if you're a dumbass...that kind of sticks with you.

LOL
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think people are confused as to what "obese" even means, anyway.

Obese simply means "having a BMI over 30".

I'm obese at 210 pounds and 5'10". I don't stop being obese until I hit just under 209 pounds.

Morbid obesity, super obesity - these are what people tend to think of when people just use the word "obese". And they are wrong.

Use the correct terminology.
  • LazerMole
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

Yes.

And this is why:

When a person gets SSDI (disability), they have to prove medically that they have a disability. They have provided medical records, been to medical or mental health professionals, sat in front of a judge, probably hired a lawyer, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they are disabled and cannot work. And yes, SSDI does open the door for several other programs, including SNAP, Vocational Rehabilitation HUD, etc. But people who receive SSDI have spent easily 2-3 years proving they are disabled. It is not an easy process in any way, shape, or form. So yes, you should STFU because obviously you have never worked within the system and have zero idea of what you are speaking.

Well, that puts my fears to rest, knowing that the system is foolproof, and no-one could ever possibly game the system to their advantage.

Any system can be gamed. Student Loans are gamed all the time. However, they are never really brought into question.

You've never known anybody who "went to school" for the six years they spent drunk?

Oh. I don't care about that. I thought it was being stated that there was a way you could get out of paying them back.

Bankruptcy.

Student Loan Debt is not included in any bankruptcy proceedings. It is exempt.

Source: I was a legal secretary for a bankruptcy lawyer.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    When someone has a baby, they take FMLA leave. Getting pregnant is (for most people) a conscious decision someone has made. They aren't denied FMLA because they "did it to themselves". So, even if you want to argue that a person is obese because they "did it to themselves", that is no reason to specifically deny them FMLA for now being obese.

Further FMLA is paid from benefits already accrued by the individual - their vacation and sick time. It isn't as if the company are forced to pay the person a salary and have them accrue further benefits for the time they are off. So the only cost to the company is finding someone to do the job while the person is on FMLA, and having a job for them when they get back.

Finally, allowing someone who is obese (and has no other medical conditions) to take a leave so they can address their obesity (going to a "fat farm" perhaps? I can't quite picture what else they would need FMLA for in the absence of other necessary medical procedures) will possibly prevent them from getting complications of the obesity further down the road. That will save the company (and the health insurance) money in the long run.

And finally (again)... isn't it the compassionate thing to do? If someone comes to me and says they need to use FMLA, isn't the right thing to do to try and get it for them and not try to second guess their medical or other conditions? Or does the Hobby Lobby decision mean that company busy bodies get to decide appropriate (non)treatments for everyone now?

You are brilliant. Really, really smart. Not like applied smarts where you CAN look at things critically if you think to, you carry around the big picture with you always. I don't know many people who do that, but it is one of the qualities I most respect.

Thank you!
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, OP. I do not think it should be considered a disability. I get that there are actual medical conditions that can cause weight gain, and I do not condsider depression related over eating to be one of them, but I don't think being fat in itself should be a disability. :noway:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yea, bankruptcy won't exempt you. Woulda filed a long time ago :laugh:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The world does not contain the necessary amount of salve to treat all the butthurt in this thread.

I so want to read all replies later. please please please still be here, thread...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Yes.

And this is why:

Bankruptcy.

Someone needs to familiarize herself with the US Bankruptcy code and the difficulty of proving undue hardship.
  • LazerMole
    Options

QFT.

I just *had* to stay at the fancy school, even though my parents started making more money, and I was getting less and less financial aid. *sigh*
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Yes.

And this is why:

Bankruptcy.

Student Loan Debt is not included in any bankruptcy proceedings. It is exempt.

Source: I was a legal secretary for a bankruptcy lawyer.

That is overstating it
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I'm obese at 210 pounds and 5'10". I don't stop being obese until I hit just under 209 pounds.

Morbid obesity, super obesity - these are what people tend to think of when people just use the word "obese". And they are wrong.

That needs a new definition.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Im sorry I may sound heartless in saying this but i see those tv show commercials for the "my 400lb life" and i have no sympathy for them at all. If you were at one point in your life 120 pounds and athletic it was a personal decision to let yourself go to the point of extreme and its human nature to either do something about it or make excuses for it.

Do people really think putting "I'm sorry" in front of a jerky comment, makes the comment less jerky?

I got fat because I was suffering from severe sleep deprivation, severe depression and moderate to severe anxiety (the last two were secondary to the first). I've never eaten half a gallon of ice cream, or a whole block of cheese or anything like that. I have trouble now eating 1200 calories a day because I've never, in my life, been an overeater.

So no, it wasn't a personal decision that I made to become fat. It was lack of access to medical care to deal with my insomnia, period. And I'm SO FING tired of people assuming that everyone fits into a neat little fat box so they can feel free to judge without any shame.

THIS! Also, how can these people tell which is which from a fleeting interaction in public? Fat people don't wear signs that document how they became fat.

I'm glad to hear that you got the medical issue somewhat sorted, and congrats on your progress!

I think I'm going to get a t-shirt:

- Got fat after pregnancy.
    - Already lost 45 pounds on a diet that includes copious amounts of pizza.
    - Yeah, it's a McDouble. Fits into my daily allowance.
  • likitisplit
    Options

QFT.

I just *had* to stay at the fancy school, even though my parents started making more money, and I was getting less and less financial aid. *sigh*

So pay the minimum until you die. You get to take the interest off your taxes anyway.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, OP. I do not think it should be considered a disability. I get that there are actual medical conditions that can cause weight gain, and I do not condsider depression related over eating to be one of them, but I don't think being fat in itself should be a disability. :noway:

Do you have any education, experience, or a close family member with a mental illness? I'm curious why you feel this way.

edited for quote fail
  • LazerMole
    Options

That needs a new definition.

I'd go with body fat %, but even though that's a more accurate way to predict actual health impact... it's harder to get an accurate measurement!

...and then I'd have to go into the breakdown by sex and age for males and females, and who wants to do all THAT?!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    The world does not contain the necessary amount of salve to treat all the butthurt in this thread.

I so want to read all replies later. please please please still be here, thread...

You missed out there been some pretty funny threads all this week.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

QFT.

So pay the minimum until you die. You get to take the interest off your taxes anyway.

Some people would rather not leave this world with a ton of debt.

..............................but that's looking like what's going to happen anyway lolol
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

You missed out there been some pretty funny threads all this week.

I gloss over funny. I come back for pertinent to my interests.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

QFT.

Not if you make enough to actually pay back the student loans